Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Getting rid of red tone

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
branka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote branka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Getting rid of red tone
    Posted: May 04 2006 at 9:07am
Please help,

My natural colour is brown, but its not natural for a very long time
I colored it in brown number 5, but i have red tone that i cant rid of,

so i tryed to colour my hair in colour number 6, light brown but with ash tone, (because there was no 5 with ash tone) but nothing happend except my sculp turned to be lighter han the reset of the hair, and everything was even more red, especialy in sun light,

what should i do, i read somewhere that brown and grey could be mixed together, so maybe i can get rid of the red tone in that whay???

Any advices????

Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 9:18am

I'd hafta see your hair to properly evaluate but it sounds like you have two toned hair or what I like to call HOT ROOTS.

Your regrowth needed to be treated differently than your previously colored hair.

How red is it? To neutralize red you need to use a color opposite the color wheel.

As you can see opposite of Red is Green so a green base color would neutralize that red color for you. Now without seeing it I can't properly evaluate it. Many color lines don't have green base colors anymore though so you would need to mix a gold base & blue base (Ash) make sure it's not blue-violet....to make green. You would be toning it here so I wouldn't use anything stronger than 10 volume developer...try it on a test strand for lets say 10 minutes and then rinse and blow it dry and see how the result is....if it's still red you can always put more back on for 10 more minutes and see the result....it depends on how red it is and what you are looking to achieve. Stay within the current level of your haircolor if you used level 6 then use a level 6 with a green base to neutralize it.

Also one other note...you originally used a level 5 color...then applied a level 6 color over it. One of the fundamental rules of color is that color doesn't lift or lighten previously colored hair so that is a no, no. The only thing that lightens already artificially colored hair is bleach.

G'luck

Edited by Claude
angl96 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angl96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 9:54am

the thing to remember is this once you colored your hair and or bleach your hair it will always without a doubt FADE!!Especially if you want to go back to your natural haircolor. If it has been bleached you will want a tintback.

My hair for example is dark brown level 3. If I colored it say to enhance the brown hair or bleached it to make it lighter, then decide to go back to my (natural hair color) yes I can use a brown hair dye but it will almost always fade to a reddish brown. the only way to get rid of it is to cut it off or keeping dying the hair to keep the red out. Once you chemicaly alter your virgen hair it will never stay back to natural haircolor it will  fade and that red underlying undertone will always show up.

Not sure what kind of brown you are trying to achieve dark, medium or light brown?! Good news it it is always easier to go darker than lighter.Brown hair contains a lot red yellow and blue mix the three primary colors together = brown.

It is always good to understand your color wheel because it helps people understand how to color their hair and to get the shade they want to achieve

heres another great website it explains the color wheel pretty good

Hair Coloring Success - The Hair Color Wheel

branka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote branka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2006 at 3:42pm
thank you a lot

Claude, i think that what you explaining to me is too much professional for me  :)

i dyed my hair today
i bought 5.1, the name is light ash brown, and it turnet out dark brown, but my hair now has less red tone, and all hair is equaly dyed, root and rest of the hair are the same

i was choosing between this light ash brown, and light ash cool brown, but sale person told me that this second one had more green tone, and i was scared how would it turned out, what do you think, shoul have i chosen this cool version with more green tone for better results :)

thanks
KarenNJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KarenNJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2006 at 7:12pm
Branka,

"Green" is what helps counteract the red tone that you disliked.  So you probably would have been happy with the light ash cool brown.

But it sounds like you're reasonably satisfied with the results you got from the light ash brown!

Karen
angl96 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angl96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2006 at 9:47am

The thing to remember is to do a strand test. Once your hair is chemicaly altered you hair becomes very pourous! Meaning it will suck up the hair dye like a sponge. also the recommended time is usually for people who are starting with virgen hair

Ash is suppose to counteract with orange. sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. I had a haircolorist lift my hair it  orange wanted blonde but she didn't lift my hair to yellow not even close to pale yellow and she put a ash toner my hair turned green. Not green like like a leaf but green like a muddy greenish ashy brown color.

Anyways your hair will fade hopefully not it won't look so dark as the weeks go by.

branka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote branka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2006 at 2:56pm
should i try that shade which has more green tone next time?
i mean is it possible for my hair to have green look? because one hair dresse told me that it could be possible!!???

and should i shorten time for keeping color on ,because it is already dyed (many times)????

even if i used 5 (light brown) it turner very dark,
next time should i color only root, or all hair again, but whith shorten time?

Edited by branka
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2006 at 9:15pm

Originally posted by branka branka wrote:

should i try that shade which has more green tone next time?
i mean is it possible for my hair to have green look? because one hair dresse told me that it could be possible!!???

and should i shorten time for keeping color on ,because it is already dyed (many times)????

even if i used 5 (light brown) it turner very dark,
next time should i color only root, or all hair again, but whith shorten time?

When you recolor your hair as long as you are just doing a root retouch to match the rest then only do the roots. Process it for the recommended time.

It is possible for hair to turn green and it's also possible to have various other color disasters. You need to know the laws of color to better understand color. Read my introduction to Hair Coloring Thread at the top of the Hair Color Message Forum to better help you. It will give you more a firm understanding and it's time to invest in reading it.

G'luck

1pinkbunny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1pinkbunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2006 at 9:12am
im going to ask a question here since this is the same problem i am having.
i went from a feria level 4 dark golden brown, double gold base to a level 4  mega browns choclate, red and violet base.
the gold was always fading so i tried the different  brown from the the loreal line at sally's.
my top area is really redder than the bottom of my hair. 
i used a 6.1 light ash brown , blue base yesterday and it really didn't do anything but make my roots lighter than the rest of my hair.  and i'm still red.
on the color wheel it look like i need a green base but here is my worry.
are my roots now going to turn green?
so do i now have to go buy the choclate color and redye my roots and then put on a green base?
and i cannot go any darker than what i am now for fear of looking "goth". and if i do manage to get the red out of my hair how will i ever know what color to dye my roots.
i would love to go one shade lighter but i realize that is impossible without stripping it.
i am considering going to a pro even though any time i get colored in a hair salon it comes out awful.  what are the chances of being able to have a pro get my hair back to a medium ash brown like my natural hair????
my hair is still really healthy but my scalp is hurting!
i would like to keep my hair somewhat healthy!
any more advice would be great. thank you.
jo
althyble();

Edited by 1pinkbunny - May 14 2006 at 9:23am
branka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote branka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2006 at 11:29am
well, i had the same problem but i solved it by coloring my hair with number 5, because obviously 6 is to light for the colour you already have on your hair, so it dyed only your scalp where the color is your natural, but it couldnt color rest of the hair which is darker then 6

so you can color your hair in number 5, or bleach it with proffesonal help and then put the shade you like

i discovered loreal pro haircolors marijel, and i like ithem because there is so much colour types, for example there is 5.1 which is brown with grey or blue base im not sure and 5.7 with green base

i put 5.1, and at first my hair was a little bit dark, but after few washes it is ok, its real middle brown, and it still has little red all over it, specially at sun light, so i wonder should i put next time this 5.7 with green base???? im only affraid of beeing green for real :)

Edited by branka - May 24 2006 at 11:31am
KarenNJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KarenNJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2006 at 6:45pm
Hi again, Branka!
As Claude advised, mix up a little of the color and do a strand test.
It's really difficult for any of us to be able to tell if your specific hair will turn green because we can't actually see it and touch it over the internet.  ;)  Even then, we may not know for sure how your specific hair would turn out without actually trying a strand test.
I've turned my hair green before (because I was too lazy to do a strand test, even though I knew I should... and I knew it was possible that it "might" turn green).  It wasn't a bright, dark green - but it had a strong green hue that was clearly unattractive.  Of course, I had to throw on a hat and go right back to Sally's!  Naturally, that turned into a much bigger waste of time that the strand test would have been.
So look at Claude's color wheel above.  Logically, the green will counteract red.  Doing a strand test with a color containing a green base makes sense.  Also, from a chemical standpoint, the red molecules are so large they are often difficult to put into and pull out of hair because the cuticle needs to be opened with a strong developer (or bleach).  If you use a vol 10 or 20 developer, I doubt it will be strong enough to pull out enough of your natural red to turn your hair green.  So if you find your current hair color unbearable, it's certainly worth doing a strand test with the green-based color.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic