Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What is your favorite hair straightener?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
summer*22* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote summer*22* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is your favorite hair straightener?
    Posted: May 06 2006 at 1:00pm
I am wanting to purchase a really good flat iron hair straightener. I have heard awesome things on the internet about the Sedu straightener. But, the salon I go to sells and swears by the Chi. Also, I see a lot of good reviews for the Solia straight iron. Which one do you like???

Thanks,

~Summer

Edited by summer*22*

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote summer*22* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2006 at 1:19pm
I think I am going to get a Chi. I have found a lot of other reviews on other websites. I think the Chi sounds better because it does not get really hot on the outside like the Sedu does. I had a iron once that got hot on the outside and I hated it.
Perula05 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perula05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2006 at 1:59pm
I own the Solia flat iron and I love it!! It doesn't get hot on the outside. I heard several bad reviews about the Chi iron. My coworker borrowed one from her friend and she hated it... I heard that you can't adjust the temperature on the Chi like the Sedu and Solia do, so that would be a minus for me.
Plus the Solia is cheaper than the Chi... Go to folica.com and read the reviews on Sedu and Solia before you buy the Chi.

Good luck!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote summer*22* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2006 at 4:50pm
Thanx Perula,

I am having such a hard time deciding which one I want. I do need one that I can adjust the temp because my hair has been damaged and Im working to repair it. Well I haven't purchased one yet so I'll go read some more reviews.

Thanx again,
Summer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote summer*22* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 12:19pm
I decided to get the Sedu and it came today. I used it this morning to straighten my hair and it is awesome! No iron has ever got my hair so straight before. It also makes it soft and shiny~I LOve it! I also got a chi blow dryer but haven't used it yet.

~Summer
*~earthangel*~ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *~earthangel*~ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2006 at 2:57pm
Excellent
My Fotki

[url=http://www.pikistrips.com/clicked/24680082][/ur
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2006 at 12:12am
Oh! another Sedu lover! welcome to the club LOL. It is amazing isn't it
palikane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palikane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2006 at 12:28pm
I have been thinking a LOT about getting the Solia ...my stylist had a Chi and she says everyone she knows who has one's busts after six months. I would love to get the Solia but I have much ??questoins??  I know the straigthener gets hair straight but does it keep hair straight...like in the humidity and all of that...even without the humidity I'll take it if it keeps the "Straight State"..I have thickish shoulderlenghth hair w/ layers and side bangs...would the best way to go is the 1 1/4inch swivel plates? In another thread they say that the swivel plates aren't good...comments??

Edited by palikane - July 27 2006 at 1:01pm
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2006 at 2:34pm
I think I answered this for you in another topic, but I'll answer it again. Yes, get the Solia, it is a great iron. Plus you have 30 days to try it, so you have nothing to loose. The 1 1/4" does not have swivel plates. The 1 3/4" is the one with the swivel plates. Get either the 1" or the 1 1/4". My friends is 1 1/4" and it is small enough, without being too small. But you might want to go with the one inch if your hair is short. Don't get the one with the swivel plates, I hear is a pain in the butt.

Your stylist is right about the Chi. The Chi will work great at the begining, but it will slowly start to not work as well. They short out quickly, and eventually start to dry out your hair. Plus is not ceramic, just ceramic coated, and eventually starts to chip off.

Your hair will stay straight, as long as you treat it right. You have to use good conditioners, deep condition at least once a week, and do protein treatments at least once a month. Always remember to deep condition after protein treatments, or your hair will feel like straw.

If your hair is badly damaged, no iron in the world is going to make it stay straight. But it will help. With a good iron, you will notice the hair will come out softer, shinier, and it will stay straight even in high humidity (unless, as I said, the hair is badly damaged. In that case the hair will still look much better, but Might still frizz just a little). The important thing is to start treating it, so it starts to improve, and it will eventually get to the point where it will stay straight even in high humidity.

You have to use a good serum to help close the cuticle and combat humidity. I use Redken Heat Glide and the Stuff is awsome!. Use only one or two drops though, because it is super concentrated, and if you use too much it will make your hair look oily. Remember to give the products time to work. If your hair is damaged, is not going to become beautiful overnight.
I'm going to post a review tonight (I was supposed to do it yesterday, but I didn't have time) with my little niece's pictures, before and after I flat iron her hair. Her hair is very mis-treated and super dry, not to mention crazy curly. She spends the whole summer in the pool, with all that chlorine, and doesn't like to come her hair. So when she is out of school, will spend days with her hair in a big matted knot. She is only 6, so forget about her deep conditioning or taking good care of hair. And still with all that abuse, I manage to get her hair looking super straight and beautiful. And it stays that way until the next time she washes it, or jumps in the pool.

And we live in Miami (humidity capital). So if it works for her it will work for you. If I post the review tonight, it should be up in about 3 days. It will be under my nick name (Shary) so take a look at it and tell me what you think.

Well, good luck and great hair.
Shary

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic