Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

100% straight

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
amy24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amy24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 100% straight
    Posted: May 12 2006 at 12:44pm
I have medium lengh hair, kind of wavy and i've been using this babyliss ceramic straightner, but it never really worked well, and i've never been able to get my hair 100% straight! it still has waves... 
And my hair is now really dry and it's giving me splits ends because of this straightener, so now i have stopped using it because i don't want to damage my hair even more!
I'm thinking about buying a new one but i don't know which one and i don't it to be too expensive.... do u have any suggestions?
Thanks
Perula05 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perula05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2006 at 12:53pm
Go to folica.com. Their site is great... I bought the Solia flat iron from them and I love it! The price is $88, but believe me, it's worth every penny. My hair is super curly 3b/3c and medium length but it stays straight after I use my Solia. I blow dry my hair first since I get the best results that way. Make sure you use good products too. I like Redken Smooth line.
summer*22* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote summer*22* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2006 at 6:01pm
Hi Amy24,

I just recently bought a Sedu straight iron from folica.com. It was $125 but so worth the money. I have never had such straight hair in my life! I wish I would have discovered it before I tried to chemically straighten my hair.

I put chemical straightener over my already bleached hair and severely overprocessed it. It's ok now but I had a ton of breakage. I have spent over 300 dollars to repair it...and im still paying for deep conditioners every week!!!!

The Solia or Sedu will save you a lot of money in the long run. You won't have to spend a lot of money repairing damage; and you won't be buying a new iron as soon as these last longer. Also, you save tons of time...it takes me 3/4 the time less to straighten my hair now. Do not buy a cheap iron or it will damage your hair. And the Redken Deep Conditioners are Awesome...you can actually sleep with them on and in the morning your hair will be awesome!!!

Good Luck,

~Summer~

Edited by summer*22* - May 12 2006 at 6:02pm
jackpaul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackpaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2006 at 10:02pm
..... summer ..........which straighten product did you use to make your hair break and how long
 did it take to stop breaking. The reason i am asking is that i straighten my hair with redken vertical and now i am loosing all my hair at the top of my hair it is breaking off.
Jackie
*~earthangel*~ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *~earthangel*~ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2006 at 2:55pm
Jackpaul maybe when you flat iron your hair the temperature is too high so it could be causing breakage. Summer and Perula so happy to hear of your sucess with Qualityy flatirons. Good for you
My Fotki

[url=http://www.pikistrips.com/clicked/24680082][/ur
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2006 at 9:31pm
Jackpaul, Redken Vertical is an exellent product. If your hair is breaking the stylist who applied it was not a chemical expert. Yet there is a difference. Just like doctors have to study different specialties, so do hair stylists. A stylist can be a great colorists and still not know about chemical straightening. One way to know is, if you see them reading the instructions on the package. And when they stick to the specific time on the instructions. Not all hair is the same. Some requirel less time and some require more time. For example, I use a similar product, Rusk Radical Anticurl. The instructions read 20 minutes. Well my hair takes almost 40 minutes to process. For other people it only takes 15. A true expert will know the difference by just touching or looking at the hair. Also the product should never touch the scalp, and it should never be comed against the scalp or it will cause the hair to get a 45 degree angle which will result in breakage. A special come needs to be used, such as a Mason Pearson, which has polished teeth. Regular comes have those sharp ridges in between the teeth. Those ridges or edges, will rip off the scales off your hair causing it to become week and prone to breakage, as well as unable to hold on to color or protein treatments properly.

So you see it takes alot of know how to get good results. It is not the product but the stylist. Get yourself a bottle of Nexxus emergencee, or Redken deep fuel. They are both great protein treatments. Do a protein treatment once a month and make sure to deep condition afterwards. Use Redken Smooth down butter treat if your hair is super curly and dry. If not use All soft.

I know what you are going through because I had TR done a couple of years ago and it was a disaster. My hair fell out in clumps and I had tons of breakage. I even ended up with a bald spot right on my frontal hairline, which took 2 years to grow out. Unfortunately I didn't do my homework and that was when the whole TR craze was just starting. I thought just because my stylist had a certificat hanging on her wall that stated she was certified to perfom Bio-Ionic TR, she knew was she was doing. Well I was wrong. Don't get me wrong, she is a great stylist and I still go to her for hair cuts. Just not for chemicall treatments. I learned alot on Steve's website Verticalsinhair.com. He is one of the few stylists in north america that really know how to perform chemical stratening. You can learn alot from him as well as get great advice.

Your hair will stop breaking when you start doing the protein treatments. Maybe not after the first one, but it will. You have to take extrememly good care of your hair now, because it won't really be back to healthy until you grow it all out and cut it off.
Use a good leave in conditioner before you blow dry such as Sebastian potion 9 or Salerm 21. I use a mixture of both. And use a heat protectant such as Redken Heat Glide. Trust me, it will get better

Good luck and great hair.
Shary
jennpent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennpent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2006 at 1:11am
Does anyone have any experience with the Chi straigtening iron? I have read a lot of posts about the solia flatening iron. I can get my hair straight but it doesn't stay straight if their is a tiny bit of humidity....
is the solia much better? or am i doing something wrong and should just shave my head? :)
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2006 at 10:59pm

Do you use a serum before flat ironing? If you don't try Redken Heat Glide, it works great. Your hair will be smooth and frizz free. Or Aveda purefume anti-humectant pomade. Emulsify with hands and distribute through hair before flat ironing (use just a little or it will make hair look greasy) it will repel moisture even if it is raining.

And yes Solia rocks. Much better than Chi (at least for me)

Good luck and great hair.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic