Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mayo on the hair feels very very weird

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tyranna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyranna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mayo on the hair feels very very weird
    Posted: May 16 2006 at 4:32pm
Yes, I tried the mayo treatment last night.  I wasn't sure whether one applies it to dry or wet hair, so I did the dry application, glooped mayo into the hair and scalp, wrapped my head in saran wrap and a towel and then dripped oil for two hours.

The other threads mentioned something about mayonnaise clarifying hair.  Well, if clarifying means making one's hair feel like straw after washing the mayo out, then I guess I got clarified.  LOL  I shampooed and intensely conditioned afterwords, and surprisingly enough, my hair was very manageable afterwards.  Course I am uncertain how much the mayo or  the conditioner has to do with that.  I gently combed it out wet because I feared possible knots might form. 

Now did someone say that one should not shampoo after using mayo?  If so, I was afraid not to shampoo mainly because since I technically had had food on my head, I did not want to attract bugs or something the next day.

I let my hair dry itself and noticed the next morning that it had lot less frizz on the more damaged ends and formed some nice waves and some  defined curls.  The ends do not feel dry, but again, that could have been the conditioner.

Should I have applied the mayo to pre-dampened hair?  And will repeating this benefit my hair?  I am uncertain how much the post-conditioning had to do with it.  And if one does not shampoo and only conditions afterwards, will the hair smell like a sandwich?

Weather Forcast - With high humidity in the air, expect general hair frizziness to continue :-/
Current Length: 30 inches or so from the front
SpecialKitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2006 at 6:53pm
I don't know about the mayo treatment, but your post really made me giggle. Thanks Tyranna!
philosophy girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philosophy girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2006 at 2:53pm
I always shampoo and condition after mayo.  It gets rid of the smell for a start and if I don't I would have straw hair.  I have the same issues with henna and have to do a deep condition after hennaing or my hair is AWFUL!
3a C/M ii 35"(21/03/06)dark red

Founding Member of the Benign Neglect Club. All applications welcome and accepted (each member to decide for themselves what they consider to be neglectful)
tdouty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdouty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2006 at 11:46am
When we do Jennifer's hair, I always apply it to her hair when it's dry.  It absorbs the oil and protein much better if it's dry.  We usually shampoo and condition both afterwards, but we have also done CO and her hair didn't smell like mayo at all.  But we did use a fragrant conditioner (Suave humectant).  I really think the nice results you mentioned are from the mayo and not from the conditioning.  Jennifer's hair is exactly as you described after we do her hair.  It shouldn't be necessary to do your hair again for 2-3 weeks.  It shouldn't hurt to do it more often, but I don't think you'd see the noticable difference that you saw if you do it more regularly.  We enjoy that WOW factor the day after doing her's.  We're glad you gave it a try.  Do you think you'll do it again?

1c.m.ii
36" as of January 14, 2008
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2006 at 7:31am
Yep, clarifying does make one's hair feel like straw!  I always condition very well after a clarifying for that reason, and even then it sometimes takes until the next wash and conditioning before my hair feels really moisturized and not tangly again (that's clarifying with a shampoo though, not mayo - which should be a little less harsh than a shampoo). 

I both shampoo and condition after mayo too.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Tyranna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyranna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2006 at 2:18pm
I think I will try it again.  I noticed on day two (I usually wash/condition my hair every other day), that my hair felt very soft still, so the mayo might just be the thing.  And there seems to be less fly-away hair as well, along with more defined waves.

The best conditioning treatment I ever had was a thermal clay treatment I got at a salon to get rid of a particularly bad incident of the winter dry frizzies.  The mayo treatment was not that effective, but perhaps with repeat treatments, it will be.  And happily, there are no hair-stylist costs associated with it.

Weather Forcast - With high humidity in the air, expect general hair frizziness to continue :-/
tdouty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdouty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2006 at 3:12pm
I still find it funny that a product meant to be used as a condiment can leave hair feeling better than any hair product you can buy.  How can this be?  What does Kraft know that the hair companies don't and why don't the hair companies make a product like mayo that is extremely high in protein and oil for extra deep conditioning?

1c.m.ii
36" as of January 14, 2008
SpecialKitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2006 at 5:15pm
I definitely like the "natural" concept of using mayo (really it's just eggs, vinegar, sugar and salt, right?). I just haven't taken the plunge 'cause I'm doing WO right now, and also because of the smell. Maybe in a few weeks........Thanks for all the info Tyranna and TDouty!
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2006 at 1:13pm
What I want to know is, why does a hair conditioning product taste so good?  Wink LOL
tdouty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdouty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2006 at 7:25am
Hmm.  Never tasted many of the other ones ... LOL! 

Update, FYI.

Sunday morning, we didn't have much time.  We were going to get ready for church and still had to get kids ready, but we wanted to mayo Jennifer's hair.  We decided to put mayo on for just an hour and then shower.  I did her hair quickly and didn't keep working it until it transformed into an oil like I usually do.  I thought that the heat from her head would do that.  I wrapped her hair up in saran wrap, it was still very white.  An hour later, when we took it down to shower and wash her hair, it hadn't changed to an oil and in fact, it never really penetrated to some of her hair underneath.  Usually I work it in until it's an oil and work it all through her hair to the scalp.  Well, it was obvious that just the heat from her head didn't do the trick.  We washed it out with just conditioner (which does work by the way and shampoo wasn't necessary because she didn't smell like a salad afterwards).  The bad part was that her hair didn't feel much better then it did before.   I'm assuming that was because the mayo never turned to an oily substance.  We're going to try it again soon as an experiment to see if that's what it was.  We'll also let it on longer.  We'll let you know.
tdouty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdouty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2006 at 10:22am
We did do another mayo treatment again late last week.  This time, I worked with it until it changed into an oil and then we left it on Jennifer's hair several hours.  The results were totally different.  Her hair felt wonderful afterwards so it's very important to work with the mayo until it changes from white to an oily substance and let it one a while. 
Tyranna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyranna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2006 at 12:29pm
I might try a longer stint as well.  I did two hours on the first treatment.  It did not take it too long to turn to oil.  And I do notice less dry frizz just after the one treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic