Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair Color

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rattlayitdown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rattlayitdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair Color
    Posted: March 05 2000 at 7:54pm
I was wondering, how do you know what colors to go for and which to stay away from? I was thinking it had to do with skin color and eye color. Does anyone know for sure? I'm fair complected but I can tan and I have hazel eyes. I have med. brown hair with natural red and blonde highlights you can see in the light.
I want to try something new with my hair though and not sure if I should go to a dark brown.
tscutnup View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tscutnup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2000 at 8:10pm
my theory is "try it out". You could use a temp. color just to see if you like yourself as a darker color, or you could even go as far as doing a semi- color, so that as you shampoo your natural shades and hi-lights will come through, this looks more natural than a permanent color, in my opinion. as i said you may feel more comfortable going with a temp. first then graduate if you like to semi or even permanent. i have had just about every color in the last 4 yrs. i just experiment. have fun with it.
Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2000 at 9:45am
r--

Hair color should be selected to complement your skin tone. If you don't know what yours is, pick up a copy of "Color Me Beautiful" by Carol Jackson. This is an old book (published in the 70s, I believe) but still an excellent reference.

According to Jackson's theory, nature never makes mistakes. Your natural hair color, eye color, and skin tone will all be from the same palette--that is, warm-toned or cool-toned. (She goes a step further and divides the skin tones into seasons.) Anyone can wear any color, but it depends on the depth, tint, and undertone of that color. The same goes for hair color. There is a red for everyone, a blonde for everyone, etc. It depends on your skin's undertone.

Everyone has either yellow or blue undertones to her skin. Blue, or "cool," undertones are more common. It has little to do with how fair you are. A few ways to test:

** If your eyes have gold in them, you're Warm. If grey, you're Cool.

** Warm complexions tend to tan nicely rather than burn.

** Warm skin tones have golden-brown freckles. Cools usually have rose-brown.

** Cools look better in white than ivory. Warms are the other way around.

It sounds to me like you have a Warm complexion, because you have gold in your hair, and your fair skin tans well. In that case, you'd want to stick to colors with gold or auburn in them, and avoid ash or violet. "Neutral" brown is safe for anyone.

Important note: It is possible to choose a hair color within your palette and still look "wrong." I have a warm complexion but look a little fake in auburn. It's better on me than burgundy (Cool), but it's still not a good choice.

I don't know if that helps much. Finding your "Best" color still requires some trial and error.

Ally
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic