Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

perm

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lois View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lois Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: perm
    Posted: May 26 2006 at 8:05pm
Cry hello!  I need help with my hair. I just got a perm and it seems to be frizzy and dry, it looks like cotton candy. I use a gel but it does not seem to help. can u tell me what I can use to make it look like its not so dry looking, and not like cotton candy?  thanks

Edited by Lois - May 26 2006 at 8:09pm
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 7:16am
Use a deep conditioning treatment (you can buy one at a beauty supply shop).  You can also try oiling your hair.  For that you can use jojoba, coconut, or even olive oil just to try to see if it helps. 

Use a heavy conditioner after washing (I suppose you know you have to wait a little before you wash it after a perm, so I mean after that time has passed).  After conditioning, comb your hair with a wide toothed comb while it is wet, do not brush it (a wide toothed seamless comb would be ideal - less damaging - but if you do not have one, use what you have).  Then after its dry don't brush or comb it again (doing that helps curly hair to frizz). 

To oil hair, after its dry, put one or two drops of oil on your hands and rub it through your hair from the ears down (not near the scalp).  It should not look oily or greasy, and the oil should not get on your clothes.  If any of that happens that means you used too much.  1 drop really is enough for hair that is chin to shoulder length, a little more for longer.  This should help not only to moisturize your hair, but to reduce frizz and help define the curl pattern.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
missym View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2006 at 11:20pm
I recently got my hair permed for the very first time in ages! i have medium to long highlighted hair and the stylist, didn't do a very good job. You can not tell it's permed. I'm going back in  tommorow, i made an apointment to get it fixed but now after talking to alot of people at work, taking their advice, i really don't want to re-do my perm. I'd like to get my money back! I'm very upset. Do you think Cost Cutters will allow the return? Or will i have to bring this further to corporate?
julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2006 at 11:13pm
 Ah,the perfect thing which I recently got for my dry hair..BEDHEAD after-party (which I got at Hair cuttery when I got a trim) I put on damp hair and it makes it smooth and soft and very shiney.It's about 18 dollars.
Dont want to spend that much? John frieda's Frizz ease helps too,cost about 5 bucks.
corny1229 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corny1229 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2006 at 6:25pm
erjkdfkas
l[p
SeaSiren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSiren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2006 at 10:51pm
Does anyone have any comments on getting a body perm for gray hair.  My hair is long and mostly gray (from blonde) and doesn't hold curl from an iron or hot rollers.  Gray hair is usually courser but mine seems to feel normal but gets straight unless I'm in humiditiy.  I so don't want the poodle look so I haven't tried a perm in years.
She Creatures Unite......
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2006 at 6:57am
They don't usually say to test strand a perm, but in your case I would suggest it.  My hair doesn't hold curl either, and what that means is that perms fall straight after a week too, so all the damage you get isn't worth it if that's what's going to happen to yours.  People who want to keep their hair long have to be more careful with chemical processes, so I'd perm one piece of hair on the underside (somewhere you can hide it) and see how it looks after a week, and how bad the dryness/breakage from the chemicals is.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
SeaSiren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSiren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2006 at 9:24pm
Thanks Susan for the ideas.  I'm just rolling the idea around in my head....I give my mom perms. Her hair is short and bleached blonde.  She always looks poodlish..Does the roller size make a difference in curls or just waves and body?
She Creatures Unite......
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2006 at 7:05am
Usually the rollers were slightly larger for the body waves...I haven't touched a perm in 15 years but back then 3 different sizes of rollers came in the box so the instructions would just say to use the larger ones.  I'm not sure how they work these days!  Longer hair may look a little poodly until the first wash, but the weight of it would definitely pull it down more than with short hair.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic