Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Deformed Hair Strands of All Types, plz help!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
aznmech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aznmech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Deformed Hair Strands of All Types, plz help!
    Posted: June 02 2006 at 4:20pm

When I gel my hair, some hair strands stick out; not onl that, but some hair strands seem deformed. I have some strands that are L-J-U-S shaped, curl, straight, thin, thick, twist, and some that i cannot describe. The ones that annoy me the most are the S shaped ones (sometimes they repeat like overlapping S's, almost like a curving in and out highway), and the ones that have an un-naturakl feel to it; almost like the tape of a cassette tape and twist.

My hair is short-medium-ish, and gets poofy after showers and when its hot outside. When I gel my hair, the strands stick up and are so annoying, sometimes, some strands act like as if they were gel-resistant, especially the thins, twistys, and ones that are L-J-U-S shaped.

What gels, or any hair styling aids for that matter, garauntee that hair will obey and not be rebellious? i used to use dep but most hair strands are gel-resistant now.

Also, are there any recommended shampoos, conditioners, etc., that stop my hair problems? I really dont know what is wrong with my hair or how it started to be this way. Ive also tried several anti-frizz and managablity products but no luck.

I know I am asking for a lot but I am really annoyed at this, especially since hair is what most people see first in highschool

im 16, and asian (but most asians gel their hair perfectly , but why cant I anymore?!). thanks to anyone that helps me
aznmech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aznmech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 6:13pm
i did a google search and came up with something called "Pilitorti" or something along those lines.. it says its kinky/twisty hair, which i guess is what i have.. now im kinda freaked up.. a site i came up with said it sometimes improves spontaneously during adolesence.. umm now i dont know what to do.. im no even certain if i have this.
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2006 at 8:54am
How much hair are you talking?  If its only a few strands, I wouldn't worry about having a rare disease. 

I have those too.  Most of my hair is light and straight, but a few strands (less than 100 out of the hundreds of thousands of strands of hair on the average head) come out thicker, darker, kinky and curly.  These do come out easily when pulled, so maybe it is related to pili torti, I don't know, but if its that few strands I really wouldn't worry about it, since likely no one will ever notice or know they're there but you.  It may be genetic, or it may be caused by abuse (heat on the scalp damaging the follicles, or too much hair pulling in that area...that one's probably more of a risk for people who use barettes and such than you).  There's really nothing you can do about them, just leave them alone.  (I've pulled a few of my kinky ones out, but they just grow back the same way, so may as well leave them alone because they stick up more when they are shorter).

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic