Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"mini braids"?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
letmecount123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote letmecount123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "mini braids"?
    Posted: June 08 2006 at 11:59pm
I don't know what most people call them. Some call them corn rows, some call them mini braids, others micro braids...

Just wondering what the general concensus is on this style and if anyone else here ever uses it. I've been doing my own every summer for about 4 or 5 years now? The only pictures I have handy right now are from 2003 and 2005.

2003 (short hair and pudgy face, haha):

2005:

It took me NINE hours over the course of 3 days (I did it in sections) to put the braids in last year. There were something around 40 or so braids, I do believe.

I have no idea how "bad" this is for my hair or anything, but I really like it for water sports and camping, because you don't have to roll out of your tent in the morning and wonder how horrible/greasy your hair looks!

And it certainly brings a reality to just how much shedding occurs daily... because all that daily shedding is trapped in the braids for a few weeks and it ALL comes out in the shower. I freaked right out the first time it happened.

I'm not sure if I'm going to braid this year... I might if I have time before my lake trip, but I imagine it will take more than 10 hours this time around.

And not to waste making another post you fine people would have to click on, here is a May 14 progress picture! I have no idea what my length is right now as I left my tape measure at my other home 2 hours away.

Hellfrozeover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hellfrozeover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2006 at 3:56am
That seems like a great ideaalthough I'd be worried about the mini elastics. I'd keep mine oiled when it was in the braids. It would make them look smoother and make it healthier when taken out than when they were put inSmile.
SpecialKitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2006 at 11:03am

Great progress pic Holly! I like the mini braid set of photos as well. Wow, that  is a long time it takes to put those braids in......have you ever considered getting someone else to do it?

I read on a LHC post awhile back that someone with extremely long thick hair (I think hers was below her butt) did these braids for a two month trek in South America. About halfway through her trip she took the braids out  by herself and had a tremendous problem with tangling. And she lost the hair you mentioned, which she said looked like a small animal (yuck).

I guess if you've been doing this awhile with no problem, it is probably okay for your hair. It sure looks good on you!

Have a great summer.
Supersugar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Supersugar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2006 at 11:50am
Holly, your hair is beautiful in braids. Smile  I agree with the commentary that you'll shed badly if they're kept in for a longer period of time, though, so detangle gently and patiently afterwards! Big smile
Make every day you have count, before the time comes for you to count every day you have.
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2006 at 1:12pm
Holly!  The mini-braids look absolutely great!  And your new updated signature is awesome.  It looks like you've reached waist-length.  Yay! Clap

The fallout is to be expected since otherwise you gradually lose strands throughout the course of each day.  If you typically lose 50 strands per day, over the course of 3 weeks about 1000 strands will fall out.  If they're restrained within such braids and the braids are taken out, you will have a pile of a thousand strands.  Not to worry, it's merely accumulated fallout that hadn't had a chance to fall out. Smile

MissMareeJane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissMareeJane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2006 at 7:25am
Holly,

Your hair looks great in the braids! I wish I had more patience for a hairstyle like that! (Or a really really REALLY good friend. hahaha) Or a jamaican salon
Don't let the man get you down

1c MC iii Dark Brown, 23" Goal: Waist
PurpleBubba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2006 at 3:12am
As long as they are not really tight near the scalp to where it pulls or hurts you should be ok. But if you do them too tightly and leave them in too long you can get a form of Alopecea called Traction Alopecia.
Do they hurt or pull?

Edited by PurpleBubba - June 13 2006 at 3:12am
kinkyhairchick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kinkyhairchick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2006 at 6:29pm
Wow great progress with growing your hair. The braids look great on you and as long as they are damaging to your hair I think it would be great to keep it up. Nice work.
horselover_1625 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horselover_1625 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2006 at 1:19pm
Your braids look awesome, lmc!
RANITA~~
-----------
What good is life without a horse??!!!
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2006 at 11:52pm
Wow, Holly, those look really terrific Smile and NINE HOURS oh man, I admire your patience. Every time I see your signature, I realize that your hair grows so fuh-reaking fast.

Anais
my LJ, 40 inches long
RachelZ3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RachelZ3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2006 at 9:19pm
Hi- I have gone missing for a while from this forum. I kept meaning to come back and update.
Old thread is here:
http://www.hairboutique.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=38687=1

Short form update:
I had fabulous results using velcro rollers but learned here that velcro rollers (despite all the stylists saying they wouldn't) could damage my hair. It made sense to me. So I looked for an alternative. The bad news is then I got a BAD haircut. That's when I disappeared. I was like a cross between Pippi Longstocking and Rod Stewart. Cutting the hair on top of my head and sides very short. Nothing to do but wait for it to grow out.

Meanwhile, I discovered this great stylist in Little Rock Arkansas. ( I am in New York City). He was wonderful and turned me on to BIG BOAR HAIR BRISTLE ROUND BRUSHES. They are WONDERFUL. My best is 3 1/2" and has nylon occaisionally to keep the boar bristles stiff. Hair dries quickly and I have my "glam" hair back- and I have pics. I can't fall asleep wearing a bonnet dryer with curlers, but this is great for my hair and I can get it dry (from damp dry) in 15 minutes.

And meanwhile my hair grew out (it was January when I got the horrible hair cut).

Here's pics from the end of April- and oops there's my dratted cowlick.

(hey it was an early morning event and I didn't have time to do my hair.)

OK so why i am I jumping on this thread... because I am going to Burning Man festival in the Nevada desert for a week. Hair has to be tied in some way or it gets totally gross. I am meeting with a talented experienced Burning Man hair stylist tommorow to discuss my options. She is saying that braids done properly will not damage my hair. She'll add synthetic hair and wool (I am not sure if I am allowed to post her web site here).

So what do y'all think? I finally got my hair grown out and in great shape, and its so long I am looking forward to winter. Will I blow it all if I have it in braids for about a month? (She's only available until August 18, the event is August 26-Sep 6.)

Thanks for any help!
Rachel

Edited by RachelZ3 - June 22 2006 at 10:11pm
2c M ii
~*~Like Dolly Parton said: I love it when people call me a "dumb blonde" because I know I am not dumb and I know I am not blonde.~*~
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2006 at 1:38pm
Welcome back Rachel!  I'd say your hair has returned quite nicely.

Burning man sounds cool (or, hot, weatherwise, and with flame).  I'm in favor of any style which will protect your hair to the best extent possible.  Weaving in some synth hair and yarn/wool may help do just that.
RachelZ3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RachelZ3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2006 at 4:22pm
Thanks Dave! BM should be HOT during the day, and COLD during the night. Dusty like crazy 24/7. I am already asking how i could fit a wide-brimmed hat on my braided hair. I'm also asking about swimming in a chlorine pool with the braids and yarn. I think it was you who said that it only looks like a lot of hair is falling out because the hairs that would normally fall out in a month are held in place by the braids until they come out.

Here's the web site of the woman who is doing my braids and yarn:
http://www.thegoddessmaker.com
She's gone to BM for 4 years, and she's pretty wise. (e.g. No beads, they are uncomfortable for sleeping, no loose hair). My bag of yarn is a wee bit heavy even though she carefully guided my purchases to the light stuff.

Natch when I get mine done I'll take pics and post 'em. And also the results after the braids come out. If this works I may do it every summer!

Thanks again for any experience with this sort of thing.
2c M ii
~*~Like Dolly Parton said: I love it when people call me a "dumb blonde" because I know I am not dumb and I know I am not blonde.~*~
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2006 at 8:27pm
Well from some call them braids and some call them box braids because the parting resembles a box.  They look great on ya.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

denika_s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote denika_s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2006 at 3:58am
Oh wow....those mini braids look soooo good on you!  Again, I admire the time you put into making the braids and keeping them under control. 

I have braided my hair like that before, and lots of times I would put the braids into a bun or something to help keep the sun off my hair a little bit more.

~ Den
RachelZ3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RachelZ3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2006 at 11:21am
folks, that's not me :) That's just the web site of the woman who does the hair. Mine would be done on August 15 for the Labor Day week long event.
I am just hoping my hair will be in good shape when the braids come OUT!
As for the sun, she said the only sun hat that would fit is one of the Vietnamese type sun hats, the little flat cones. :/
And swimming in a chlorine pool is apparently not a great idea :(

2c M ii
letmecount123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote letmecount123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 6:53pm
I think she was talking about my original post, Rachel...

And thanks for all the comments everyone!

I think I will probably braid my hair some time before July 13... I'm leaving for a 4 day concert and I really don't know how accessible the showers are going to be. Then I will try to leave them in for as long as possible as I have another 4 day camping trip from the 27-30.

My sister is probably going to help me out this year because she wants to have hers braided as well, but her hair is only to her shoulders, haha.
RachelZ3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RachelZ3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 7:48pm
doh! You are right Holly!

::::banging head on keyboard:::
2c M ii
SugarCube View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SugarCube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2006 at 6:52pm
Holly they look cayute on you but I would suggest not using the elastics to close the scalp. I also braid my hair similairly to this and it grows like a weed where on the other hand if its not braided it doesn't grow as fast. Anyone Know why???
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic