Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Uurgent - advice on wispy bangs & tapered sides
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Uurgent - advice on wispy bangs & tapered sides

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Katherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Uurgent - advice on wispy bangs & tapered sides
    Posted: June 21 2006 at 3:31pm
Hi all,

I have a haircut appointment tomorrow morning so I'm seeing if any of you have had a similar situation and can advise regarding wispy bangs/tapered sides.

I've been growing out my bangs since December '04 and they are now about an inch below my chin.  I had had "heavy" bangs for many years.  The rest of my hair is about an inch above BSL.  My hair is slightly wavy and naturally blonde.  It is healthy, but the front part of the sides can look awfully frizzy some days, especially in the summer humidity, and the grown-out bangs have not helped with that (I had hoped they would).

My parents' 50th wedding anniversary/big family reunion is coming up soon, with lots of photos & seeing relatives I rarely see.  I want my hair to look more under control (less wild on the sides) while keeping most of the length.  So I'm thinking of asking tomorrow for wispy bangs and some tapering/graduation of the sides starting at about where my bangs end now or slightly higher.  For the cut to work, I also may need 2-3 inches cut off the rest of the length.  (I plan to go back to growing it all to BSL length after this event, except maybe the wispy bangs if they look good).

So I guess my question is, if any of you have had a similar style with wispy bangs & tapered/graduated sides, did it "work" okay, and how did it compare to no bangs/mostly one length?

THANKS!
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2006 at 2:13pm
Hi Katherine,

Obviously your appointment time has come and gone by now (I didn't see your message until afterwards...).   Tell us about your salon visit, please?
Katherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2006 at 3:19pm
Sure, Dave, glad to!  (thanks for your response)

I first told my long-time stylist, who is a big long-hair supporter, by the way, what I was thinking - a bit shorter all around, some tapering between the ends of the growing-out bangs and the rest of the length, and possibly wispy bangs.  She seemed concerned that she might have to take off "two inches," but I said go ahead.  Well, at first she cut off only one inch - she said it was two, but I saw the pieces, and I did not notice any real difference to my look as she was about to start the blow drying.  So, even though my long-term goal is bra strap length, I asked her to cut more, and then she cut off two more inches all over, so about 3 total, though she claimed to have cut 4.  She overestimates, part of her enthusiasm for long hair.  (My hubby measured that night, and sure enough it's now 21.5 inches, and it was 24.5 before the cut).  The shorter length, and perhaps the humidity, have brought out some waves, and I love how it looks.  She dried it to "flip out" on the sides a bit, sort of the old Farrah look though more subdued, which she said is popular again.  I guess everything comes back in fashion eventually.  I have been drying it that way since then, but I'll probably turn it under most days.

She and I both understood that this is a transitional cut on the way to more growth.

As to the wispy bangs, my stylist was against them, because the hair around my temples is already kind of thin and flyaway.

So now I'll look more polished for the family event next week and then go right on growing.  Thanks again
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2006 at 5:14pm
Hi Katherine,

That's great to hear that you are happy with the results of your salon visit.  Enjoy celebrating your parent's 50th wedding anniversary!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic