Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Better Cuticles with Acrylics?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
dearcole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dearcole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Better Cuticles with Acrylics?
    Posted: June 25 2006 at 10:39am
Hi! i'm new to this web site. i found it while looking for tips to take care of extensions.

my question was, does anyone feel like their cuticles get healthier (less cuts, rough spots, peeling) when they wear fake nails of any kind

i love the way that my hands and cuticles look when i have fake nails put on.
my cuticles look better, and they eventually heal up all the cracks.

but i hate how damaging acrylics are to my nail bed. when i take them off they are all torn up. Also, the last time that i had my nails on and was having them filled, when the tech was "buffing" the ridge, IT HURT!! The tops of my nails were so sensitive. i took them off. now they have finally almost grown out.

i love french maniures. but to keep a french on my real nails for more than 3-4 days is hard! they chip almost immediately. but fake nails are too expensive for me, look very thick and fake, and damage my nails.

Thanks for reading!!!
Anyone have any suggestions??

xo nicole
naildiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naildiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2006 at 10:16am
First of all, the damage done to your nails was not from the acrylic, but is the fault of the technician.  Getting your nails done (or any beauty procedure bar waxing) should NEVER hurt!  AND if done properly should never be thick or fake looking.

On to your question.  the reason your cuticles are better when you have any kind of artificial nail is because you are getting them done regularly AND you tend to be more careful with your hands.  Its not actually from having nails on.

If you choose to go with natural nails it is imerative that you do a weekly manicure (on yourself or at a salon) and keep up with daily home maintainence.  Yes, daily.  Natural nails requre a lot of work!

Nail strengthener - 1 coat every day, take it off at the end of the week.  You can apply it right over polish.

Cuticle oil - minimum of once a day, preferable several times a day.  Use a good quality oil, one that does not contain mineral oil!  Solar Oil is my fave.  If your nails peel, cuticle oil will help that as well.  Rub it right into the nail, it will penetrate any polish.

Wear gloves when cleaning, yardwork, dishes, basically when doing anything!  If you put on a thick cream before the gloves when you do dishes, your hands will come out supersoft.

Hope this helps

mrscutiepie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrscutiepie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2007 at 11:13am
I take care of my own nails and refuse to go to the nail salon anymore because they damage my nails (when I had fake nails) now I have my own nails and have been taken care of my own cuticles. Like naildiva advised, I do my nails once a week and care a little nail kit in my purse for repairs. I also use cuticle oil and it works great. Hope everything turns out for you.
Never leave home without a mirror, you never know what you may look like.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic