Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What is the difference?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LoveHair! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LoveHair! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is the difference?
    Posted: July 13 2006 at 4:36am
Hi could someone tell me the difference between acrylic and fibre glass nails, I have heard that the glass ones cost more, is this cos they last longer? I really do not know the difference, what is it all the celebs wear? I definatley do not want gel ones as I did not get on with these last time what other types are there? What would you recommend I go for, I want them to look very celeb, very shiny, and to last as long as possible.
naildiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naildiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2006 at 10:20am
The majority of people, celebs included, still wear acrylic.  Acrylic is a liquid and powder that form a rigid nail and can be applied over a tip, free form scuplted onto the nail, or applied over your natural nail.  they can look very natural, IF done correctly, but you will find that a lot of people do not do them correctly and they can end up looking thick and fake.  Fiberglass, silk and linen are all under the category of "wraps".  A wrap is a piece of fabric that is glued onto the nail.  they can be applied on a tip or over the natural nail.  They are very thin and flexible, but not as durable as acrylic.  If people charge more for them it is usually because they do not like doing them!  Cost wise, there is no reason for them to charge more.  Gel nails are a gel - like hair gel - that is applied to the nail and hardened nder a light.  They are applied in several layers with each going under the lamp.  They are super shiney, lightweight and flexible and nearly as durable as acrylic.  They are completely odorless.

Be aware that there are a lot of places out there that are unscrupulous and will tell you that you are getting gel or fiberglass and charge you more, but then apply acrylic.  Acrylic is liquid and powder, period.  No other nail is done in that manner.  Another thing to consider is that just because a place is cheap and fast doesnt mean they are good - or clean or legal.  Granted, there are sone cheap fast salons that are excellent, but that is the exception.  Just do your research.

Hope this helps you make a decision!
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2006 at 9:45pm
I agree with everything naildiva said, exept that wraps are not as durable as acrylics. I used to get wraps, and those things last forever. And since I got them over the nail, my nails kept growing super long under the wrap, and look so natural, because is your own nail, just with a super hard protecting layer over it. The placed I used was very reputable, but I have to say, I don't care if it is acrylic or wraps, they do weaken your nails and make them very thin. They did soaked them off when it was time to replace them, but the nails underneath, although super long, were paper thin. So I finally decided to stop doing it.

I had one finger that had an acrylic tip. I had to get it, because I completely broke off my of my nails play fighting with my ex-boyfriend. So I had to add the acrylic one to match the length of the others. And I have to say they have the same effect on the nail the the wraps do.

I'm lucky and my nails grow really long naturaly. And I don't take care of them at all. But if I decided to do it again, I would probably do the wraps again. Or maybe the gels. I've never tried them and would like to know how they work out.
michie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2006 at 4:10pm
Naildiva is correct. But, I'd like to add that wraps, gel, liquid & powder are all acrylic nails in a different form.   

naildiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naildiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2006 at 8:06pm
Chemically speaking, gels and acrylics are cousins - yes they are both in the acrylic family - methacrylates, to be exact.  Wraps are a very distant cousin - they are cyanoacrylates.  Wraps tend to be least allergenic because cyanoacrylates have a very simple chemical structure.  Not to bore you too much, but I just wanted to let you know that just because they are all a type of acrylic, doesnt mean they are the same!  Your technician should be able to tell you which one is best for your individual situation.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic