Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bleached hair and want to go swimming

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mustbcrazy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mustbcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bleached hair and want to go swimming
    Posted: August 03 2006 at 6:00pm
I have bleach blonde well actually white hair and just got a pool put in today. I was told not to go swimming because it will turn my hair GREEN!!! Is there any truth to that and is there anything I can do so I can swim? Thank You for your help.
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2006 at 9:22am
Wet your hair with regular water before you go in so it absorbs less pool water.  Try to keep your hair out of the pool as much as possible (wear it up, don't dip your head under if you can help it).  Try a weak vinegar rinse if it starts to go green.  Use 1Tbsp of vinegar in 1 cup of water and pour it over your head (the acid in the solution may help the copper to slide out).  I'm not sure if will work, its just a trick I heard of, so if it doesn't get a shampoo made to get rid of green hair (Malibu 2000 is one, and I think you can probably find other brands for "chlorine removal" at your usual local store.  

The mixture of chlorine in the pool and copper pipes can cause the copper to oxidize and come out into the water, which turns your hair green (its not actually the chlorine itself).   I hear there are chemicals you can add to your pool to neutralize some of the metals before they oxidize....seems like that would be bad for the pipes, but I'm no pool expert so you'll have to do some research on those kinds of things.  
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mustbcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2006 at 9:31am
Susan, Thank you so much for your in put I hope you have a GREAT WEEKEND!!!
hardmyth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hardmyth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2006 at 11:46pm
I just wanted to say that I have bleached blonde hair and I went into the hot tub at my sister's apartments. Afterwards we went into the house to make lunch and my sis noticed that my hair was turning green. I jumped in the shower and shampood it for 20 mins. Anyway it took a few days for all the green to come out. So from experience, yes your hair will turn green.  And it's a gross moldy color green too.
222chik222 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 222chik222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2006 at 1:24am
Ive also been told that tomato sauce is really good for neutralising the green colour, you just dump a whole heap of it over you hair, leave it on for about 20 minutes then rinse out thoroughly
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2006 at 7:07am
I've heard even dumping coca cola over your head works.  That's why I suggested the mild vinegar solution.  Its possible that an acid solution (and maybe even any acid solution, which tomato and coca cola both are) will work.  Its worth a try...just don't use too strong of a solution.  
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mustbcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2006 at 8:05am
I was looking for a pre treatment something you could put in your hair and swim. Well this is what I learned Alberto VO5 makes Conditioning Hairdressing I use the one in the Silver box for Gray/ White/ Silver Blonde Hair it says Combat Chlorine  rub a small amount of VO5 Hairdressing through your hair before diving into the pool. Another product which I have used and works is the Redken UV Rescue Blonde Guard it is a swim cream a highly water resistant formula that protects colored, highlighted or naturally blonde hair from chlorine and the absorption of minerals that can cause it to turn green. It works very well!!! I do not know if I would put Catsup or Tomato sauce in my hair it would probly turn pink or reddish. I have heard of using Asprin.
KellyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KellyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2006 at 1:12pm
I use ION's leave-in conditioner for swimmers from Sally Beauty Supply every time I get out of the pool. It helps the air resist porosity. I also use the swimmer's shampoo after I'm done swimming entirely.

I spent most of my childhood with green hair because my Mom didn't 'bother' to look for a remedy. lol I refuse to let it happen as an adult!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic