Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

yuck, dryness!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AndiCandi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndiCandi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: yuck, dryness!
    Posted: August 07 2006 at 3:30pm
Okay so a while back I decided to go natural, right?  Well it's been a few weeks and now my hair is starting to become very dry and brittle.  I was wondering why this is happening and what I can do to stop it.  Am I washing it too much or not enough?  I'm already only washing it once a week or maybe every two weeks or sometimes twice in one week.  I don't really have many products to work with either...just some leave in conditioner and the regular shampoo and conditioner.  Do I need anything more??  Is it the alcohol in the products?  I use Prostyle hair gel ALOT and I heard that it has alcohol in it.  But how else am I gonna slick it back with that extra strong hold?  I guess I need a little help, especially since I'm about to highlight my hair and put it into twists before school starts on the 14th.  But there's still good news out of all of this.  My hair is growing!!!
soon2b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soon2b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2006 at 6:34pm
The alcohol in gel can be very drying sometimes. If I use a gel that is drying I put a little smooth-n-shine on top of it...or any other conditioning gel. It sounds like your hair may not be getting enough moisture. You may even want to try co-washing, which is using a light cone free conditioner (suave/VO5) and applying it like a shampoo. Sometimes shampoo can be drying.It just takes experimentation with products. A lot of products you used on your permed hair may not work so great with your natural hair.

Edited by soon2b - August 07 2006 at 6:34pm
hairtype:3C-4A
Tranistioning:last perm 1/29/06
Learning to embrace my true beauty and loving it
ladykaya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladykaya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2006 at 12:16pm
You may want to try deep conditioning. That is very important during transitioning. You can use lekair cholesterol, or ORS hair mayo, or moisturizing paks. All of these help with bringing the moisture and strength back into hair.
Last Relaxer: Mar 06
Transition Style: Braids
All Natural Goal: Jan 07
Type: 4b
Length: 2in-Nat/4in-Rel
Length Goal: Mid back(18in) 3yrs
My fotki
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic