Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Adoption of an African Child

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Charyl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charyl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adoption of an African Child
    Posted: August 07 2006 at 6:15pm
I am white. I adopted our son at birth, his natural mother and father are both from/in Kenya Africa.
I have a question about hair care for him if you don't mind...He is now 9 years old and wanting to grow his hair out so he can eventually have braids. Right now it is about a 1/2 inch long and takes alot of work to look nice and he just does not like his hair combed or brushed out because he is real tender headed.
We are considering twisties till his hair gets a little longer but one woman mentioned I needed to put grease on his scalp which will help the growth. We currently use the products in the pink bottle called "Just for Me".
Do you have any suggestions? I asked his natural mother what she does and she doesnt do anything according to her and she washes her hair everyday which I have not heard from any one with African American hair.
All help would be appreciated.
Thank You!

Edited by Charyl - August 07 2006 at 6:16pm
Charyl
soon2b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soon2b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2006 at 6:47pm
Some African-Americans wash their hair everyday and do a conditioner wash and not your normal shampoo and conditioner deal. Shampoo can be drying to the hair. When oiling his scalp try to stay away from products with grease(petroleum) or mineral oil because that can cause the pores to clog. A good scalp massage is good to get more flow and help the growth process.
hairtype:3C-4A
Tranistioning:last perm 1/29/06
Learning to embrace my true beauty and loving it
ladykaya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladykaya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2006 at 12:29pm

I agree with soon2b. You can wash natural hair every day. Its those that have relaxed or chemically treated hair that can't really wash their hair everyday. One good hair grease that promotes hair growth that does not have petroleum or mineral oil is Parnevu T-Tree Growth Creme you can find that at walgreens or any beauty supply store in the ethnic section. Just take a nickel sized dollop of it your hands rub it together and run it through his hair. Just wash his hair every week and add a leave in conditioner (most boys can't handle the time with a conditioner that needs to sit and then wash out) and add some grease and you should be fine with his hair

Last Relaxer: Mar 06
Transition Style: Braids
All Natural Goal: Jan 07
Type: 4b
Length: 2in-Nat/4in-Rel
Length Goal: Mid back(18in) 3yrs
My fotki
Charyl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charyl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2006 at 2:00pm
Thank you both so much. This is such a big help!
Charyl
Pokahontas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pokahontas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2006 at 8:52am
Try using some S-Curl on his hair.  It will keep it very soft and easier to manage.  You can also apply a light oil such as olive oil or coconut oil over the s-curl to lock in moisture.  The best time to comb his hair would be when it is wet, combing dry natural hair can result in breakage. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic