Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

DIY vs Salon??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
green_kitten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote green_kitten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DIY vs Salon??
    Posted: August 16 2006 at 2:14am
PLEASE HELP.

I've test stranded a part of my hair using Manic Panic bleach to lift out the dark mahogany so that I can do an even colored, lighter red.  I put the bleach on the test strand, rinsed it out after an hour, and re-applyed it to half of the test strand for another 15-20 minutes because it was still darker and didn't lift as easy.

It came out fine, no frizz, no breakage (even though I have used Colorfix and highlighted in the recent past).  I tried test stranding some box colors over sections of the bleached chunk, but they look washed out, even at the roots which weren't bleached (wtf?).  Came out evenly though, my first goal.

Anyway, I need help bleaching my entire head.  It's not that I don't think I can do it alone, it's just that it would take SO long and I'd have to divide my hair into sections to get everything done correctly and evenly. 

I'm thinking about going to a salon and having them do it since they'd probably do it faster and better than me, but I'm not sure... they could be slower and sloppier than I am.  The Manic Panic bleach that I'm using is 30 vol., and I don't know what kind salons use. 

Could I bring in Manic Panic bleach and have them apply it? 

If I did it myself, I plan on avoiding my new roots like I did with the test strand, which I think is too much to ask of a hairdresser since my hair is quite long and the roots are as long as a fingertip.  And I had to re-apply the bleach to the last half of my hair that was still dark.

Money is not an issue currently since I have saved up a good chunk just for restoring my hair to it's lighter color.  It's just that I have had some bad experiences with colorists in my town.  I've never had my hair lightened, but I'd had "permanent" color put in that washed out in 1-3 shampoos.  There aren't any board certified colorists in my area, but I found that 2 salons in town are "Redken colorists".  How is this different?  Is it just that they use Redken haircolor?

I'm terrified of my hair melting and of them doing it wrong.  I don't think I can do this full-head lightening alone though, since I have so much hair!  I plan on putting a vibrant red on top of the bleach and I'm curious of what the salons may have, but in my experience they've never lasted more than a week.

AH!  What should I do?  Please help, all suggestions are welcomed and appreciated!
Darling Nikkie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darling Nikkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2006 at 2:32am
i'm also curious about that bleach...manic panic also sell 40 vol., no?
Wouldn't that work faster?
I learn to love and try to understand everyone I meet. I see the rainbow hiding in their eyes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darling Nikkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2006 at 2:41am
Green Kitten, a good friend could help you, no?
I've had the same experience with salon coloring: not only does the color wash off too quick, they are expensive and often rude and lack creativity...don't get me wrong...I'm sure there are real good ones, but i usually end up feeling some disappointment. I color my hair at home.
Now I want to bleach my hair and yes, that's a bit scarier... I can't imagine going to a salon with a manic panic bleach kit... not in Belgium anyway: they'll come up with a million excuses not to use it. . They'll try to put fear in you by saying your hair will break and fall out and what not... .
I learn to love and try to understand everyone I meet. I see the rainbow hiding in their eyes.
green_kitten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote green_kitten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2006 at 3:13am

Oh... maybe I am using 40?  I thought it was 30, I dunno.

The only one who can help me with my hair is my boyfriend, and he's a dummy.  I guess it's worth a try though, if we can find time.  Thanks !

It's such a mess with long hair. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darling Nikkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2006 at 7:04am
They sell both 30 and 40. Maybe the 40 vol would be too harsh, I don't know... .
I've had my hubby put in my extensions last time and all in all he did a good job, though he moaned al lot LOL.
You just have to be VERY clear on how you want him to help you. Be VERY specific!!! Then I'm sure all will be fine...Good luck!
222chik222 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 222chik222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2006 at 7:36am
ive been told and have read repeatedly never ever ever apply 40 vol directly onto the scalp aka for a whole head bleach. Highlights and cap highlights are alright but never whole head bleach, you will fark up ure scalp and regret it. 30 vol is the most you can use, even then you would have to do it in 2 settings maybe. Get a friend to help you, it wouldnt take too long and do your research first because you have to dye the midlengths first, then the ends then the roots or something like that due to the head of your head and the way the hair absorbs the bleach :) hope i havent put you off! im sure itll work out fine. Goodluck!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darling Nikkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2006 at 7:58am
Sounds like good advice...the last thing I need is a flaky, burnt up scalp, ouch!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic