Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

semi-perm colour on extensions....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
222chik222 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 222chik222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: semi-perm colour on extensions....
    Posted: August 20 2006 at 8:49pm
Has anyone used semi perm colour on extensions? Im thinking it probably wouldnt work so well because the hair is likely to be sealed with silicone or something similar so the colour wouldnt "absorb" very well...

If anyone has successfully coloured their extension hair with a semi-perm id love to know which product you used =)

Thanks
sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2006 at 10:07pm
actually, semi or demi perm colors are gentler on hair extensions. And Ive had better luck with coloring with these than with perm. colors. I dont do it anymore. I usually make my natural hair match the extensions. Its difficult to know what you might end up with on hair extensions. Considering that different manufacturers use different dyes and color processes.

Ill leave this one to the pro's to advise, cause Im outta my league on coloring!
msfitns72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msfitns72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2006 at 11:30pm
The issue with a semi is going to be that the color will FADE eventually....sometimes pretty quick depending on care, hair type, etc.-- then leaving you with the color you were trying to mask in the first place. I would go permanent with a low volume developer...like a 10-20. If you need to "lift" color, you will need a permanent color with at least a 20 volume depending on how many levels of lift you need. I color my extensions and they do really well!
Divavocals View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Divavocals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2006 at 1:10am
My suggestion is to not deal with lifting color at all on extension hair. Get a light color (like say 613) and deposit the color you want using a demi-permanent color (as this is more gentle than perm color)
Check out the 5th So Cal offline luncheon?? For more info: divahairtalk.overthehillweb.com/lunch.html

Links to my fav vendors & hair albums + Weave 101 information: divahairtalk.overthehillweb.com
222chik222 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 222chik222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2006 at 3:00am
Thanks for the advice =) Ive chickened out with going blonde for now, so will stick with the safer dark brown.

I would go with permanent colour all round (dark brown), but if i want to go lighter it at a later stage it will be harder on my hair hence the need to use a semi or demi permanent color.

Im thinking my best bet would be to get extensions that match my natural colour? (so when it does start to fade back to the original color the extension hair and my hair wont be too different...) well hopefully anyway lol
lucky chick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucky chick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2006 at 1:36pm
Hi chik!

I use every semi color every5 weeks--when I get new hair.  (I wash my own hair every 3rd day and my clip ins every 6th day so my own hair fades faster--I use Artec shampoo on my nat hair the last 2 weeks to keep it matching). 

Yes, you are right about the silicone coating so it you try a semi, be sure to wash the ext hair first--it helps.  

LC

Need to add that time really varies w/ how porous the ext hair is.  My last batch didn't take the color as well as my own hair and had to mix up more color and do again.  Other times ext hair grabbed the color....I guess a test strand would help, lol.

Edited by lucky chick - August 27 2006 at 8:44pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic