Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

X10D Cold Fusion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
metalgirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X10D Cold Fusion
    Posted: August 31 2006 at 11:58am
I went ahead and ordered the kit for the X10D cold fusion extensions.  It arrived promptly and the owner, Cam is very reponsive with email and answering the phone when you call.  He seems like a nice business man.

First the 'cons':

In the kit, for which I paid $300, the DVD was the same thing that you can watch on their website for free!  I wanted more detail than what they show on that short blurb on their site. 

There was no mention on how to remove the extensions, how long the adhesive would last, etc.  I had to email them to get answers to many basic questions that should of been included in a kit for which you paid $300.

Ok, the good stuff:

The hair does resemble a skin weft except it is a little different.  It's different in that it is a 'strand' about 1/2" wide and there is a fold on the top.  They call it a 'twin set' since the hair strand has two sides, for double the thickness.  The 'skin' part is a little more dense with hair than other products that I've seen. 

On both sides of the fold, the hair has been implanted in the proper direction so that it falls with cuticle pointing downward like it should.

The hair seems very nice.  I put a few on myself for highlights two weeks ago and it's still silky and is staying in my hair without a problem.

Their are a lot of colors on their color ring, including some of the ashy blonds that are hard to find in extension hair.

They also have  a 'cork screw' curl as well as silky straight.

I did some experiements and permed a few of the silky straight pieces and they came out nice.  That would be useful to be able to perm in the proper texture youself, since their cork screw in s tight ringlet curl and not a wave.

They are bonded in with what looks like to me is what's called a 'hard bond' in hair replacement.  It's liquid stuff in s bottle.

To apply, you first have to take the nail they provide you in the kit (yes, I felt cheated that I paid $300 and the 'piercing tool' was a nail!) and you poke a hole in the fold of the twin strand.  Then you take the hook, (they gave me a crochet hook) and pull the client's hair through.  You put a few drops of adhesive and fold the thing closed and then apply their clamps for a few minutes while the adhesive sets.  Pretty easy.

The remover solution is acetone.  Cam says that the acetone will dissolve the skin on the strand therefore you can't reuse them, but I knew that was untrue since I have used acetone on skin wefts a lot and never had a problem.  I practiced putting some in my doll head and taking them out and it doesn't seem like it will be a problem to reuse them, at least two times.

The hair is pricey though.  For pack of  12 twin strands, it costs $60.  To do a full head it would take between 6-10 packages, depending on the thickness that you want.

Also the hair only comes in one length. It claims to be 18", but actually it's probably 19"-20".

Anyway, I have a full head lined up next week and I'll take pictures.  I'll keep you posted.  Overall, I'm pleasantly surprised and this method seems promising.
frenchie1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frenchie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2006 at 12:25pm
Hi Metalgirl!
I am glad you tried it and thank you for letting us know about your opinion!
I can't wait to see some pics of you!
The big inconvenient for me, according to what you describe is that it's too expensive, I like to change the hair often!
Take care
amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2006 at 12:28pm
Yes, thanks very much for the review. The price is a downside.

You did say a nail?
frenchie1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frenchie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2006 at 12:56pm
I am afraid she did!!
neosoulsenhora View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neosoulsenhora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2006 at 1:36pm
Yes thanks metagirl I was going to order the kit also. I do have a question, since you said the kit wasn't worth the $ 300 you paid for it what items do you need to do the techinque if you just wanted to order them seperately ? 

The hair prices are expensive especially compared to a lot of other techinques you can use on your clients. Right of top it would be $120.

Thanks
Syren123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syren123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2006 at 3:01pm
Great job, Metalgirl. That's a very thorough review. Will be interested to see how that process works on a real head and how the client likes it.
metalgirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2006 at 7:18pm
If they let you buy the product than the start up costs would be much less.  The color ring is $75 and the color numbers more closely follow the numbering system that most hair color companies use.  For example: 1N (black), 5A (light ash brown),7G (dark gold blond) etc.

One bottle of adhesive is $8.00

He doesn't list an individual price for the 'clamp' things.  You could probably use anything that will apply pressure on the extension bond.

I just ordered some hair for a client, and we ordered her 7 packs of hair which came to $420 than plus about $30 S/H for speedy shipping from Canada.  As far as hair extensions go, that pricing is not too outrageous, as long as you can use them at least twice.

Edited by metalgirl - August 31 2006 at 7:18pm
asinnamon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asinnamon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2006 at 6:25pm
How did the install turn out?  Time consuming?  How do you care for these?  Conditioner bother them?  How about blow drying?  Has there been any seperation of the twin halves?
metalgirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2006 at 2:24am

The install went well.  I'll post some pictures of it this weekend when I have some free time.

I think with practice, the time will be about the same as other strand methods.

Conditioner or blow drying doesn't seem to bother them. 

There is no separation between the twin halves.

All that said, I won't probably use these again for one reason:  When I went to remove a few pieces with the acetone, they 'strands' did disinergrate and fall apart, making them totally unable to be reused.  The company did say that the solvent, acetone, would desovle the strand, but I didn't believe it since I have used acetone to remove and reuse skin wefts before.  But whatever they use for the 'skin' base  in the strands, it  almost melts away with acetone. 

naildiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naildiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2006 at 9:48am
I wonder if you can make the same thing by cutting up a skin weft.  Seems like it would be a better idea (and cheaper!)
asinnamon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asinnamon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2006 at 10:25am
I wondered that too.  It would be a little different as the "twin" strands are attatched at the top and with a skin weft you would be folding it from the side.  Still, same basic principle??  I wonder what type of hard bond it is?   Are there any ingredients listed? 

Metal, have you tried anything else to remove them besides acetone?
metalgirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2006 at 12:17pm
I'm sure that you could make the same thing with a skin weft, or something similiar. The only 'problem' that I see is that skin wefts usually don't have enough density and you would have to put a whole lot of strands in to make it dense enough.  These X10D strands are very dense.

I'm looking into getting skin wefts custom made for me with heavy density.

As for the hard bond glue, hard bond hairpiece glue is similiar to super glue.  It has the main ingredients as super glue, cyanoacrylate. 

The only solvent for cyanoacrylate is acetone.  Oil orange won't do a thing. 

The difference between household super glue and the 'super glue' that they use for hairpieces and for sealing sutures (medical adhesive) is that the formula of the glue slightly differs, so that the hair and medical glue is less toxic to the skin.  I know that hairpiece glue is 'cyanoacrylate ester' while super glue is cyanoacylate ethyl-2, which would be more toxic to the skin.

Now the question that has been haunting me, do I really want to put what is essentially 'super glue' in someone's hair?  When you do it to apply a hairpiece, they instruct you that when you remove it you will have to cut off the natural hair.  Most bald people don't care if you cut their natural hair, since it's usually sparse to begin with and they just want to superior bonding power of the hard bond.

But would it be damaging to try to use acetone and remove 200+ strands  from someone's hair?  I don't know, so that's why I am doing experimenting on myself and a few of my clients who are willing guinea pigs.

The X10D guy said of course I could use any glue I want to apply, so if you wanted to use a soft bond that desolves with the orange oil I'm sure that would work, but it's messy and sticky.  I don't have time in the salon to do a removal and fight with getting oily sticky stuff out of the customer's hair and off of their strands before I can reapply them.  That would probably add at least two to three additional hours  to the service.

Edited by metalgirl - September 16 2006 at 12:20pm
barbielocs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barbielocs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2006 at 2:33pm
hi
just wondering the web site you bought the x10d off of!
Darling Nikkie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darling Nikkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2006 at 3:26pm
Wow thanks, Metalgirl! That is a thorough investigation . Sorry though that it cost you $300 to get that kit! But you inspire us. Who knows what someone here might come up with to improve the system... .
I learn to love and try to understand everyone I meet. I see the rainbow hiding in their eyes.
metalgirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2006 at 5:01pm
I'm working on ways to improve the system.  It's a good idea overall and worth looking into.  I think the key points to address:  make sure the adhesive will stay in the hair but also not be a pain to remove it, skin weft strands that are denser than what's currently offered, and make sure the 'skin' part won't be desolved by acetone.
asinnamon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asinnamon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2006 at 6:35am
I work with a cyano glue called Zap A Gap quite a bit.  When I get it on my fingers the only thing that really takes it off is a hand lotion from bath and bodyworks.  Even that takes a little while.  Acetone doesn't work that great for me.  I have also had a skin weft installed with hard bond(Perma Flex??)  and it did NOT want to come out with acetone & orange remover.  However, it did finally and I did not have to cut my hair...I did have a time trying to get the glue residue off the skin weft.  Finally I had to stratch it so the glue would crack and then I could flake it off with my finger nails.
barbielocs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barbielocs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2006 at 10:25pm
hi i just placed an order from the here. since i use fusion i placed an order for the fusion hair(streeks). i ordered the ashey blonde colors that are hard to get too!i should have it in 3 or 4 days so i will tell you all how it is! also like metalgirl said they are super super nice! i talked to cam and he is really friendly and helpful. if anyone want to know the web address is www.x10d.com (since no one respomded when i asked before :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic