Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair Help, Please... Colors, what to do etc.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yoda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair Help, Please... Colors, what to do etc.
    Posted: September 05 2006 at 1:57am
Ok, real quick....a few questions (never-ending, I know):

#1 If I want to use Miss Clairol dye from Sally Beauty Supply...what do I have to buy in addition to the color? What determines whether or not the color is permanent, demi, semi etc... and which should I use?

#2 I'm going brown but would like to add highlights to it - how do I go about doing this? Can I just dye it with the Miss Clairol and then go buy a highlight kit from the drugstore and do it like that, then go over it with a semi permanent dye to tone the color? (I'm a bit confused as you can probably tell).

#3 ALSO - I want to go with dark blonde highlights or dark reddish highlights for either Autumn or Winter.

First, I'm not sure which would be better blonde for Autumn, Red for winter or vice versa? And what would I have to do to go from one color highlight to the next?

So many questions ...a bit confusing, I know. I'm sorry you guys. I'm just trying to get my head around the whole thing.

Another thing would be that my roots will be growing out a reddish blonde color...so I need some info on touching up the roots as well.

Thanks for any help you folks can provide!! Also, I apologize if any of this is repetitive (I'm sure quite a bit of it is).

- J -  
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2006 at 6:51am
Originally posted by Yoda Yoda wrote:

Ok, real quick....a few questions (never-ending, I know):

#1 If I want to use Miss Clairol dye from Sally Beauty Supply...what do I have to buy in addition to the color? What determines whether or not the color is permanent, demi, semi etc... and which should I use?

Ans.) Miss Clairol is a permanent HairColor. You would mix the color with developer which comes in different strengths....you should read my introduction to HairColor at the top of this Hair Color Forum so that you have a better understanding of HairColoring before attempting anything because you can really mess up your hair and damage it severely if you don't know what your doing. HairColoring is a science and you need to be famaliar with HairColor and the Laws of HairColor to minimize damage and attain good results from HairColor.

#2 I'm going brown but would like to add highlights to it - how do I go about doing this? Can I just dye it with the Miss Clairol and then go buy a highlight kit from the drugstore and do it like that, then go over it with a semi permanent dye to tone the color? (I'm a bit confused as you can probably tell).

Ans.) What is your current color? Are you going lighter or darker? Do you have any HairColor in your hair currently? I wouldn't recommend one of those home highlighting kits...disaster can and usually does occur. Pay a Professional it's what we get paid to do and what we are trained to do. Toning is done with a semi-permanent or demi permanent color typically but depending on the color line sometimes you can use 10 volume with permanent but that is not always the case.

#3 ALSO - I want to go with dark blonde highlights or dark reddish highlights for either Autumn or Winter.

Ans.) If you want to post a picutre I'd be happy to offer advice on what colors would look good in your hair.

First, I'm not sure which would be better blonde for Autumn, Red for winter or vice versa? And what would I have to do to go from one color highlight to the next?

Ans.) Read my Introduction to HairColor to have a better understanding of what you are trying to do.

So many questions ...a bit confusing, I know. I'm sorry you guys. I'm just trying to get my head around the whole thing.

Another thing would be that my roots will be growing out a reddish blonde color...so I need some info on touching up the roots as well.

Ans.) When doing a retouch you should only put permanent color on the virgin regrowth. If you want to refresh the midshafts to ends because the color is dull you should use a semi permanent or demi permanent color to avoid further damage to the previously colored hair.

Thanks for any help you folks can provide!! Also, I apologize if any of this is repetitive (I'm sure quite a bit of it is).

- J -  
Yoda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2006 at 3:33pm
Hey Claude!

I read through your introduction to hair color. I'll have to read it a few times more to remember everything, but I think I get the gist of it.

I would need a blue violet base in order to get rid of the red undertones in my hair I suppose.

I'm a natural strawberry blonde. My hair is highlighted a bit with my roots growing out. I'd say my hair's in somewhat decent shape since I've cut most of it off and gave it some time to recover (also am using a deep conditioner every two weeks).

Since I'm naturally a blonde and current color is fairly close to my natural color (a bit lighter though)...I'll be going dark. I'd like kind of a light to medium brown...something that won't be so damaging to get rid of  if/when the time comes to go back blonde. I've looked at a few colors at Sally Beauty and I picked out a Miss Clairol blue violet based color that I like.

This is probably the best picture I have that would show the color best:

KellyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KellyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2006 at 6:12pm

fwiw.....I think your color is beautiful! You can definitely pull of the gold/orange/red!

Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2006 at 10:56pm

Hey Claude!

I read through your introduction to hair color. I'll have to read it a few times more to remember everything, but I think I get the gist of it.

I would need a blue violet base in order to get rid of the red undertones in my hair I suppose.

Is the undertone red or is it orange? If it's red to neutralize you would use a Green base. You use the color opposite the wheel to neutralize it.

I'm a natural strawberry blonde. My hair is highlighted a bit with my roots growing out. I'd say my hair's in somewhat decent shape since I've cut most of it off and gave it some time to recover (also am using a deep conditioner every two weeks).

Since I'm naturally a blonde and current color is fairly close to my natural color (a bit lighter though)...I'll be going dark. I'd like kind of a light to medium brown...something that won't be so damaging to get rid of  if/when the time comes to go back blonde. I've looked at a few colors at Sally Beauty and I picked out a Miss Clairol blue violet based color that I like.

This is probably the best picture I have that would show the color best:

Yoda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2006 at 5:50pm
KellyH  Thank you!

Hey Claude,
      It's tough to tell whether the undertones are red or orange. It could be orange...because all growing up (before my hair was ever colored... all the little kids would say "you've got orange hair").

Perhaps it's red-orange and I would need a blue-green base?

Edited by Yoda - September 06 2006 at 5:51pm
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2006 at 8:07pm

KellyH  Thank you!

Hey Claude,
      It's tough to tell whether the undertones are red or orange. It could be orange...because all growing up (before my hair was ever colored... all the little kids would say "you've got orange hair").

Perhaps it's red-orange and I would need a blue-green base?

Bingo!
Yoda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2006 at 8:56pm
 Great! Finally got that part right.

Looking through the Miss Clairol Color Swatches here: (http://www.thecreativestudio.com/dispensary/swatches/mc_swatches.html) they don't seem to have a blue-green based color.  Or would I mix a green base and a blue base in order to make the blue-green myself?

Any suggestions as far as that goes would be helpful. Or for which demi brand I should use if mixing a blue and green base is a no-no (I figure I probably shouldn't use a permanent over my already color-treated hair, right? So semi/ demi would be the way to go.)?

Edited by Yoda - September 08 2006 at 12:11am
Yoda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2006 at 2:55am
Hi Folks!
I'm so sorry to keep bugging...but I have just one more important question!

Ok, so I've established that my current and natural color is red-orange undertones and that I would need a blue-green base in order to neutralize any redness or orangey tones.

I plan to use Miss Clairol hair dye. But they don't have a color that is blue-green based. They have blue-violet....and violet etc.

So my question is this: Can I mix a blue-violet based color with a green based color or is that a no-no?

Again, I am so sorry for the constant redundancy.
KellyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KellyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2006 at 7:55pm
As long as it's the same brand and formula (ie. demi, perm or semi) it shouldn't be a problem. I feel like a chemist with my Clairol Complements Demi. I mix three different shades! lol
Yoda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2006 at 2:22am
lol I hear ya. Thanks for the info Kelly!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic