Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How easy is a microlink install?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
222chik222 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 222chik222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How easy is a microlink install?
    Posted: September 10 2006 at 6:32pm
if a friend does it for you? Or would it be something best left to a professional?
sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2006 at 7:18pm
not hard at all. Some people do them on their own, so it should be easy enough with help from a friend. Just make sure to keep the sectioning clean!
Naked Eye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Naked Eye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2006 at 11:11am
Yeah, the way I see it, if I can do it, anyone can!! It's hard at first to get good sections, but then it gets easier, and with a friend, I would imagine it would be super easy. I just can't find anyone with that patience and obsession with hair.....
Darling Nikkie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darling Nikkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2006 at 8:24am
I'm going to do my own as well. A bit scary, but I'm fed up having to beg for someone to help me. As far as I can see there are quite a few ladies here that can do it so I'm going to give it a go. Still don't know what's easier: fusion or micro links. What do you think girls?
I learn to love and try to understand everyone I meet. I see the rainbow hiding in their eyes.
sarytyr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarytyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2006 at 8:44am
I've done the silicone lined microrings a couple times on my own.  All went well, except of course my sections were not that great since I was pretty much installing by feel alone in the back of my head.  This last time I had a friend help and I have to say (control freak that I am) I did much better doing it myself!  If you can find someone with experience to help, great, but although it is frustrating at first and time consuming, installing extensions yourself with the microrings is easy.  Definately easier than fusion...and no risk of burns!

For me, I will be glad to see the cooler weather come so that I can go back to wefts and protac!  My son helps me with placement and it takes only 1-1 1/2 hour to put in.

Edited by sarytyr - September 15 2006 at 8:46am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darling Nikkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2006 at 3:18pm
Yeah... Sherrie told me that protac is real easy to do by yourself. I don't know why, but somehow it 's not tempting me to go ahead with it. Hm.
I do believe that Sherrie knows best though
I learn to love and try to understand everyone I meet. I see the rainbow hiding in their eyes.
elvira View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elvira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2006 at 10:18am
I think a couple things to consider when doing a microring installation is your eyesight, back pain from standing, arthritic hands. Not that I would know anything about that.
Naked Eye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Naked Eye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2006 at 12:08pm
I think it's easier than fusion, the heat wand burns me like crazy, especially if you are using a mirror, because everything looks off and it's more confusing. I use a mirror for sectioning and then just go by feel. It's not hard at all now I think.

After doing a few, I can just sit with my mirror in front of me watching tv and do the back by feel.

The first time may take awhile, plan it so you can take lots of breaks, before, I split it up into a few days, and just threw my hair up for work and stuff. Doing it for too long, can kill your body, lol.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darling Nikkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2006 at 3:14pm
But how can you feel it though? From what I read, micro rings are really small. How do you know if you have enough of your hair and of the strand... Do you use a template like for fusion?
A mirror to see the back of my head wouldn't be of much help since my hair is jet black anyway .
I have never tried the rings but I want to.
I'm going to need all the (written) help I can get with this.
Thanks to your explanations I CAN AND I WILL, yeehaa!!
222chik222 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 222chik222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2006 at 5:51pm
lol you sound like me Nikkie!! i think im going to have to find someone to put em in for me...im a perfectionist and wouldnt want to waste a friends time if she didnt do them neatly enough. Id love to be able to slap in some hair with protac but i love high ponytails and dont think i would get the look i wanted with protac =(

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darling Nikkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2006 at 11:31am
Yeah, 222chick, same here! I also like high ponytails so protac just wouldn't do it. What a shame you live so far away; we could happily do each other's hair as I'm a perfectionist myself.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic