Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Burning Scalp - Help!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
carmenz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carmenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Burning Scalp - Help!
    Posted: September 23 2006 at 9:20pm

My hair is naturally a light brown color.  For years I have been alternating it - lighter blonde in summer and then more my natural for the winter months.  My hairdresser would use an all over color to achieve the blonde and do root touchups.  A couple of years ago she was using 30 volume developer and probably bleach in my color and my scalp started to burn and my head was quite warm.  The color almost fully processed in 8 minutes instead of 40.  She rinsed it off immediately and as soon as she did my scalp was fine - no red, no more burning.  I switched hairdressers a  few months later (not because of that!) just for a change.   She colored my hair a darker brown for winter.  I experienced no burning at all and no scalp irritation.  In the spring she colored near the roots a light light brown and then added in blonde foils.  Again no burning or irritation.  I believe she used a 15 or 20 volume. 

I was happy with the base color (around roots) but was no quite blonde enough with the foils.  I decided to go back to my original hairdresser.  She applied the color again and had to take it off in a matter of 5 minutes and she was only using a 10 volume that time but it was burning too much and this time actually left a red mark around my forehead for a few days. 
My hairdresser thinks it is the developer that is making my head react this way and that even if she colored it brown it would react. 

My question - why when the other hairdressers colored it (brown and light brown) I did not have a reaction at all?  Is it the developer that my hairdresser is using that is causing the reaction or is it a reaction between the bleach and developer?

This last time I went, she put a cap on my head and pulled hair through but my roots are so dark and I have some gray that is popping out - it doesn't even look like I had anything done.

Should I go back to the other hairdressers to find out what product they used on my head and try that again?  It is only this one hairdresser's product that makes my scalp react this way.

Sorry so long!
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2006 at 4:31pm
Sounds like it is whatever products she is using. It could also be she is putting the chemicalls right on your scalp, which should never happen. Maybe the other hairdresser was more careful when applying the product to your hair. But do find out what products each one is using. If they are different then you might be having a reaction to the product itself.

Edited by Sharyg11 - September 24 2006 at 4:32pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic