Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Greasy Hair or Residue?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dreamer1212 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreamer1212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greasy Hair or Residue?
    Posted: October 01 2006 at 10:13am
Please help me find a solution!
My daughter is 18, and cannot seem to get her hair clean.  She uses a variety of clarifying shampoos daily, only conditions the ends, and rinses thoroughly.  But minerals in well water, or chemicals in city water, seem to cling to her hair and leave a residue.  She has several cowlicks, so the greasy strands bump out making a mess.  She is tired of only wearing pony tails!  When she gets a professional clarifying treatment, the results are lovely for a couple days.  But once she has shampooed two or three times, the residue returns.  Her father also has a similar issue, but it is not as noticable on his short hair.  The rest of the family suffers no ill effects.  He is of Mediterranean decent, and I'm wondering if this seemingly "porous" hair is genetic.  Has anybody experienced something similar?  Does anybody have any suggestions?  Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2006 at 11:04pm
 Well kinda sounds like seborric dermatitis (excessively oily hair) a very common condition. It could also be hormones (teenagers tend to have oiler hair and skin because of this)
You may try taking her to a dermatologist if it continues and appears bothersome.
I myself have kinda oily hair/skin and have to shower EVERYDAY or look like I have oil slick in my hair. My husband too,but he suffers from Psoriosis and gets scaly patches on his head.
You could try Nexxus Diametress which is meant for limp/fine hair and seems pretty clarifying to me.
sarytyr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarytyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2006 at 11:38am
How often does your daughter wash her hair?  Actually, washing the hair more often will stimulate the sebaceous glands to produce more sebum (oil).  Have you considered installing a shower filter? They can really help with chemical and/or mineral buildup depending on the type of filter that is used.  My hair is fine with an oily scalp and could definatley wash my hair everyday, but wash it every other day instead.
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2006 at 7:45pm
The water where I live is very hard and has a lot of iron in it.  Tends to make blond hair turn reddish.  We installed a shower filter from Home Depot and it works great.  I think the idea of very oily scalp is probably right as well.  Maybe try something like Head and Shoulders shampoo.  It is really very good.  And no conditioner at all.  Even on the ends it will move up.  People with oily hair do not need it.  I rarely ever use conditioner and have very healthy, dyed blonde hair.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
Dreamer1212 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreamer1212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2006 at 9:47pm
Hi again,

Thanks ladies!  All great ideas that she is going to try.  We appreciate your help.

OP

Nadster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nadster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2008 at 7:02pm
Hello!
I had a wedding a few days ago and my hair had tons of hairspray and other things in it...i could not wash the greasy residue after 10 times i even washed with special anti residue shampoo and had no result, i got so desparate that i tried to wash my hair with Neutrogena Oil Free Acne Wash and guess what! IT Worked!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic