Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

When short is too short

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
strawberiblonde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strawberiblonde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: When short is too short
    Posted: October 02 2006 at 11:46am
This situation has happened to me several times over the years - and to friends of mine, too, so at least I know it's not just me. 

I have been going to the same stylist for a couple of years.  About two months ago I went from a chin length bob to a shorter cut.  Think Mandy Moore when she had her short 'do - some length on top and in the back, long enough on the sides to tuck behind the ears (or not).  I really loved it.  I had gone back once for a trim (I found after a month with a short cut I need one), and my stylist shaped it back up nicely.

So I went in confidently a second time for a trim - and walked out with a short pixie.  I am so upset.  I told her just a trim - and obviously my hair did not grow two inches in one month, but that's how much she cut off.  I couldn't tell how much she was cutting in the back, which is what she started with - and by the time I realized what was happening, it was too late to stop - I had to let her finish to make it even. 

Even more frustrating is the fact that this has happened to me several times in the past with other stylists.  Why does this happen?  Do they really not remember how my hair was the month before?  This person is someone I've known for years, who remembers what book I was reading for book club last month and where I went on vacation - she can't remember how I like my hair when that's her business?  Especially when I hold up my fingers a 1/2 inch apart and say 'just this much.'  Was she just distracted?  I really don't get it. 

The cut itself is well done.  It's just totally not what I wanted, and does not suit my facial features.  I get sad every time I look in the mirror.  Anyway, thanks for letting me vent my frustration, and if anyone has suggestions for avoiding this situation in the future, I'd be glad to hear them.  Obviously I won't be going back to the salon for awhile! 
Hal View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2006 at 2:50pm
I think considering what she has done to you she should at least answer the question you ask us.  Ask her, I would love to hear her answer.  I hope you let her know how up happy you were!
PurpleBubba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2006 at 3:24pm
I agree. Ask her if she misunderstood you when you showed her with your fingers. Or misunderstood some other way.

Let her know that she cut it way too short. Tell her that you loved how it was before and that this is a good cut but it isn't what you wanted.

Ask her if she meant to cut it shorter. Ask her if she forgot what cut you had before.

You have a right to know.
And if she gives good answers you can wait for it to grow out and then go back to her and try another trim. But this time make sure you point on your head how short or long the hair should be.

And if not then you'll have to shop for a new stylist.
strawberiblonde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strawberiblonde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2006 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by Hal Hal wrote:

I hope you let her know how up happy you were!

Oh, I will let her know that it was way too short for me.  What is so frustrating is that this has happened to me with other stylists as well, so I don't know if changing stylists would help. 

And this just happened to two friends of mine, too - one with the exact same situation as mine, the other one has longer hair, and the stylist cut layers much too short and choppy.  It seems like so often stylists either aren't listening or...something.  I don't know. 
julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2006 at 10:20pm
 Next time try telling her want only a little off the ends and not a trim. A stylist got crappy with me over a similar situation and said when someone asks for a trim this means between a 1/2 inch to 2 inches! Who woulda thought?
So now when I go in,I dont say I want a trim,I'm very specific about saying only a LITTLE off the ends.
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2006 at 5:23pm
SB, I feel your pain.  I've been there before.  Exactly as you describe (only 3 inches were cut, instead of the 1/2" I'd asked for).  This was back when I started growing my hair long.  And therefore had to re-start).

Not an hour after the cut, I went back to the salon to ask the stylist why he cut 3 inches after I had asked for only a 1/2 inch trim.  Him: "well, it was too bushy in back."  There were 2 problems here: (1) he didn't listen to my request, (2) he did what he wanted, not what I asked for.  Fatal errors.  I chose not to return to that stylist.  Ever.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic