Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Paper Curls

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
hoagie323 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoagie323 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Paper Curls
    Posted: October 03 2006 at 12:04pm

I have a question for anyone who is a hair historian, if there is such a thing.  Back in the 20s and 30s, women and young girls used to use paper bags to curl their hair and go to bed with their hair tied in paper.  I am interested to hear anything anyone knows on this subject.  In particular, the name for paper curls that was used by some - pronounced paper poppy otts.  If anyone knows anything about the correct spelling or history of paper poppy otts, please write back.

Thanks,
Nancy
Katasha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2006 at 6:44pm
I don't know about paper curls, but we've used rag curls in my family for generations and they sound like they're the same idea.  You just wash your hair at night, then use narrow strips of fabric (torn up rags were what my grandmother's generation used, I use strips of bias tape now) to tie around the curls to hold them in, then sleep on it and untie the curls in the morning for a head full of curls.  The curls do tend to be pretty tight.  When my daughter's hair was down to her hips, rag curls would make it reach about mid-back once we took them out.  She just had me do more in her hair for homecoming this last month so she could have a bunch of tight curls in her ponytail.
babycheeks24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babycheeks24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2006 at 2:48pm
this is a safe and nice way to curl hair but im not real sure about it.

Edited by babycheeks24 - December 17 2006 at 2:53pm
Babycheeks
TONETTE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONETTE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2007 at 1:38am
Pper curling was used in the 30's, because I picked up a Barber Manual from that era and found a photo montage of the barber setting a young girl's hair in the paper curls. It wasnt a perm, it was a set.  Possibly because of her shorter hair, she couldnt get it done in a beauty parlour.  A man's barber was serviceing before the age of rules and regulations.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic