Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Protein fillers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
abbyphelan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abbyphelan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Protein fillers
    Posted: October 31 2006 at 1:39pm
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if I can apply a brown protein filler on dry hair before coloring my hair. Is that going to work or does the hair need to be wet? Has anyone tried protein fillers on dry hair?
Hair either MAKES you or BREAKS you.
karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2006 at 4:27pm
You need to apply it on to dry hair , then dry your hair with a hair drier, this is the way most of them work. I have never heard of applying them to wet hair. What the protein filler does is put back colour pigments back into your hair, the filler is soaked up on dry hair and penatrates through the cuticle to stain the hair, before applying a more permanent colour. Hope this helps , karenTongue
karen sanderson
julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2006 at 1:00am
Actually,the directions to the protein filler I have says to use it on damp hair. I think I have used it on dry hair before,but it less effective.Why? because when hair is wetted or damp,particularly with warm/hot water,this opens up the cuticle of the hair,and that's what you want to do with the protein is get it "IN" the hair,not sitting on top of it.
karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2006 at 3:02pm

In the UK it is called pre-pigmentation of the hair, adding a coloured mouse or semi-permanent to stain the hair before colouring it with a permanent colour. Must be diffrent in The US, as you call them protein fillers. We apply them to dry hair.

karen sanderson
julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2006 at 4:30pm
 I could see how that worksWink I have used it to color correct,and to fill in weak spots of the hair before coloring to ensure even color and less damage. And,I have even gone as far as to add some in with the dye.
I have never heard of the pre-pigmentation thing,but it sounds good to me.Maybe I should have tried that method before I just colored mine darker!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abbyphelan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2006 at 6:57am
Yes, the protein filler I got from Sally's also says to apply on wet hair. I got the Colorful kind in #2 warm brown. I was asking because the semi haircolor I use is supposed to be applied on dry hair. So I was going to prime my hair with protein filler before coloring. I haven't tried it on dry hair yet, not sure if I should...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abbyphelan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2006 at 6:59am
Well, in Sally's they sell a hair color mousse, from Revlon, which is also supposed to be applied to wet hair. I'm not sure if that's what you mean. All of their protein fillers seem to have the same directions.
karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2006 at 12:43pm
Well it seem's either here in the UK, are a wee bit behind in the hair Industry, or we have the same kind of products but I have not used them. I am a hairdresser, and I have never been taught to use colour filler's on wet hair, only on dry hair. Every company I guess has their own ways of applying their own products, but what ever the products manufacturer's instructions say I would go by them. Good LuckSmilekaren
karen sanderson
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic