Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What is up wit all them haters man

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
dakota View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dakota Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is up wit all them haters man
    Posted: January 10 2007 at 2:00pm
TDOUTY - You're right. jealous. I thought that myself. Hate to think that but it must be true. You are exactly right. They too lazy to deal with it so they keep theirs short and don't wanna be the only ones. ha! That's too bad. Yeah, long is sexy. I don't know any guy who dislikes long hair. I know more that dislike the short.
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2007 at 1:29pm
Hairbraider-
EXACTLY!!! My mom is always asking me for hair advice, and she went  most of the way through beauty school. She colors her hair very dark close to black with chery like highlights, and has for as long as I can remember. She also bow dries it every time she washes it, and she wonders why she has "frizzies" on the top and ends. I have been telling her for who knows how long that she needs to stop the processing and drieng. She always says I know, I know.BUt she won't let it get past her shoulders because it gets to damaged. Not to mention she says things like ," enjoy your hair now while your young enough to have it long."LIke you can't have it long when your older.Oh, well, she will be surprised when I am in my 50 and 60's and have long hair. I think long hair, if it is well taken care of, is stunning on older ladies!
I also have a friend of mine who has shoulder length hair that is medium brown with frosted highlights., and she also blow dries it. She has  recently decided to grow it long. I tell her  ," if you want to grow it out, you really need to stop damaging it." I don't think she listens to me though. I guess she'll learn when it looks and feels realy bad.

Alisa06
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
hairbraider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2007 at 9:42am
Originally posted by Alisa06 Alisa06 wrote:

The general thought is," I live in a small town and don't have alot of choices." Ok, yah we don't have alot of choices, but you deal with.
I also live in a very small town.  Only 1 salon with 2 or 3 stylists.  The closest bigger town is only half hour away for me though, with too many salons to count.  Not that it matters to me......... Smile

Quote Mabye if more people would start being kinder to their hair, they might have healthy looking shiny hair also.
I constantly hear women say "What can I do to my hair to make it look that good?"  The best solution is to do nothing.  It's what they need to stop doing!
sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
click here to go to My Hair Space
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2007 at 9:31am
I just posted in another thread about a stylist in my small town, who has bleasched and permed hair that is barely to her chin. IMO, her hair looks horribly damaged. The scary thing is, is that alot of people go to her. I always wonder if they are completly satisfied with their hair. The general thought is," I live in a small town and don't have alot of choices." Ok, yah we don't have alot of choices, but you deal with. I never go to a salon, They always hack my hair off. People are always complementing me on how good my hair looks. I don't color, bleach, blow dry, straighten, curl, perm, or in any way purposely damage my hair. I also do not use any products on my hair. I use jojoba oil. Every time I have a conversation about hair with the one who cut my hair ( I babysit for her), she is always talking about a new product.Her hair is darkened, and then highlighted.
Mabye if more people would start being kinder to their hair, they might have healthy looking shiny hair also.

Alisa06   

Edited by Alisa06 - January 10 2007 at 9:32am
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2007 at 8:29am
Originally posted by Katze Katze wrote:

my goodness, this "stylist's" attitude seems to be exactly the kind of "hater" attitude that SugarCube was upset about in her "friend"!

Sure did seem that way to me, too.

people should be allowed to have their hair how they want. If that means "natural" and no straightening, so be it! I'm trying to start a revolution in which dark blonde haired women stop bleaching their hair, so that our hair color gets seen more often!   I think what nature gave you is often what fits you best -it's what makes us all so interesting in our diversity!

I fully concur!  Some months ago, a woman at work (who excessively bleaches her hair to a white blonde) struck up a conversation about hair, and showed me the roots underneath (at the nape).  Wow!  Such a pretty caramel dark blonde color, and healthy too!  I know it's her choice to make, but I seriously wonder how she came to think that bleaching her hair was a worthwhile action.

Now to the salon BS - that attitude - and all the "professionals" with fried hair - is why I will not ever go to a salon again. If I did see someone in a salon with natural, healthy, long hair, I might, however, reconsider.     I used to give a lot of money to "professionals" who told me my hair would never grow past shoulder - because they HAD NEVER LEARNED how to deal with my kind of hair.   Now that my hair is natural it looks much better, in fact, more well-cared for, healthier, and thus - ta DA - "professional!" Piling all of my fine hair on top of my head and scrubbing it like they are trying to get a stain out is NOT, in my mind, professional. But perhaps my notion of professional does not include just trying to make money off people...

My primary definition of professionalism is serving others' interests.  Some primarily define it as engaged in a money-making adventure, but that may conflict with my understanding of the term.  IMO, the "haters" are grossly unprofessional, even if they collect cash.

Many people on the internet seem to hide behind their screens and say things they would never say in person. It represents a serious degradation in human interaction that I think is very bad for the society at large.

In case we had any doubt what the "haters" are thinking, now we know with certainty.

Katze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2007 at 8:33am
my goodness, this "stylist's" attitude seems to be exactly the kind of "hater" attitude that SugarCube was upset about in her "friend"!

people should be allowed to have their hair how they want. If that means "natural" and no straightening, so be it! I'm trying to start a revolution in which dark blonde haired women stop bleaching their hair, so that our hair color gets seen more often!   I think what nature gave you is often what fits you best -it's what makes us all so interesting in our diversity!

Now to the salon BS - that attitude - and all the "professionals" with fried hair - is why I will not ever go to a salon again. If I did see someone in a salon with natural, healthy, long hair, I might, however, reconsider.     I used to give a lot of money to "professionals" who told me my hair would never grow past shoulder - because they HAD NEVER LEARNED how to deal with my kind of hair.   Now that my hair is natural it looks much better, in fact, more well-cared for, healthier, and thus - ta DA - "professional!" Piling all of my fine hair on top of my head and scrubbing it like they are trying to get a stain out is NOT, in my mind, professional. But perhaps my notion of professional does not include just trying to make money off people...

Many people on the internet seem to hide behind their screens and say things they would never say in person. It represents a serious degradation in human interaction that I think is very bad for the society at large.

Edited by Katze - January 08 2007 at 8:35am
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2006 at 5:32pm
SugarCube, your hair is beautiful. Don't pay attention to any friend that tells you otherwise. Long curly hair is very pretty. And if that is how you like it, then who cares what your friends thinkSmile

About long hair not being professional, that is BS. If the hair is well taken care of it doesn't matter. My cosmetologist has long hair, and she has more clients than you can imagine, you know why? because she's GOOD!!

The girl who used to color my hair (when I used to color) did not color her hair, and she was the best color expert I've met. She used to teach color at Sebastian. That should tell you how good she was. She had clients who would drive 4 hours from Orlando to Miami to have her do their hair.

And thank God not all stylist are such jerks. My stylists here in Miami never tries to get me to cut my hair shorter (unless it really needs to be cut). And the one in the caribean is the total opposite. I can not get her to cut my hair enough (she is a personal friend though, to regular clients she will give whatever they ask for). She won't ever let one of her employees cut my hair. She is the only one that is allow to do it. And if I tell her I want anything more than an inch off she says "no, I don't want you short". I just laugh. In the caribean, short hair is not in. Which is surprising, since is so hot and humid. But there, long hair is what is happening, and professional women more than others. 90% of her stylists have long beautiful hair. And the salon is so full, that they have 24 stylists 6 days a week and you still have to wait when you go in.

It is not about how long or short your hair is. If you are good at what you do, the clients will be there. If you need a certain hair cut to get clients then you have a problem, since in the beauty business, word of mouth is your best advertisement. If your clients are not bringing in more clients, then you are just not that good.

I personally don't prefer either long or short. I love bob cuts, so I might bob for a while, and then I might go ahead and grow my hair long again (like I'm doing right now). But weather short or long, I always look professional, my hair is always well maintained, and I never get anything but compliments from everyone.

So it is about the way you present yourself, not about how long your hair is, in any industry. Your hair can be short and layered and if it looks like a rats nest, guess what, you look unprofessional.
julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2006 at 4:25pm
My husband's boss told him he'd pay him 100 dollars to cut his long hair short once. My husband did eventually do it,not because he needed the 100 dollars so much,but that working in the heat with long hair seemed to be a pain for him.
Now it is winter and getting longer again though (his hair grows extremely FAST,I'am so jealous) So if he keeps up it will be pretty long again by summer.

Edited by julesyjul88 - December 30 2006 at 4:26pm
vivek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vivek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2006 at 9:13am
The problem is people at work often discourage you to sport a long hair , especially if u r a guy and i have the same problem as i have a hair of 32 inches long.

But of late i just carry on

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2006 at 2:25am
I agree,and I might add that when the stylist actually listens to me and does what I like that I tip ALOT more! If they dont listen,I may not not tip at all.
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2006 at 11:13am
     At the risk of encouraging you further, Nic, might I mention that it should be the *customer* who determines what "needs" to be cut? My wife has gone as long as 25 months without a trim, and she had it snipped 5" at that point for practicality sake, not aesthetics. It looked fabulous! If a stylist actually satisfies a clients desires, she may likely experience far fewer moments when her chair is empty. Best, Bob Confused
Thisisniccy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thisisniccy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2006 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by Alisa06 Alisa06 wrote:

I can not tell you how many times I have gone to a salon wanting a trim. You know, mabye an inch off the ends. Every single time I have come out with at least 3 inches off. This last time, ( when it was at my waist) I asked for 1 inch off the bottom, and 3 in up layered. She took off 8 - 12 inches!!! My mom has so many horror stories that are the same. I have decided to start cutting my own hair, since every single stylist I have met has no respect for me. I tried 4 different places. My mom also has resorted to doing her own hair.
You would think that someone in this kind of profession, that depends on clientel, would want to make sure that he/she was listening to his/her client. Mabye if people just stop going to these " I know better than you" professionals, they might get a hint.

Alisa06

Happened to me almost all the time I went to get mine cut...but you have to look at it this way...I was maybe getting a trim once or twice a year...As much as I hated to admit it, the 3-4inches they took off was actually needed...lol.
I should've gotten the ends dusted more often...Then I wouldn't of had that problem.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thisisniccy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2006 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by DaveDecker DaveDecker wrote:

A new aspect of the stylist's game... criticize and riducule the "ass-length" hair to break the client down and acquiesce to a haircut, donate the ponytail to some so-called charity which sells it (because they get too much of the stuff) to extension makers, who in turn sell it back to the now-short-haired client who misses her hair and wants it long again, but doesn't want to wait 3 years to grow it back.  What a racket!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thisisniccy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2006 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by DaveDecker DaveDecker wrote:

A new aspect of the stylist's game... criticize and riducule the "ass-length" hair to break the client down and acquiesce to a haircut, donate the ponytail to some so-called charity which sells it (because they get too much of the stuff) to extension makers, who in turn sell it back to the now-short-haired client who misses her hair and wants it long again, but doesn't want to wait 3 years to grow it back.  What a racket!

If the client with ass length has dead nappy ends then by all means i WILL persuade her to  get a haircut!  It is in her best interest.  If the ass-length hair is well taken care of and kept up with the trimming then I will take as little off as the client desires....Maybe a 1/8 inch.....Just to cut off the ends, if the hair is taken care of and trimmed properly that is all t hat is needed.

Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2006 at 6:18pm
I can not tell you how many times I have gone to a salon wanting a trim. You know, mabye an inch off the ends. Every single time I have come out with at least 3 inches off. This last time, ( when it was at my waist) I asked for 1 inch off the bottom, and 3 in up layered. She took off 8 - 12 inches!!! My mom has so many horror stories that are the same. I have decided to start cutting my own hair, since every single stylist I have met has no respect for me. I tried 4 different places. My mom also has resorted to doing her own hair.
You would think that someone in this kind of profession, that depends on clientel, would want to make sure that he/she was listening to his/her client. Mabye if people just stop going to these " I know better than you" professionals, they might get a hint.

Alisa06
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
hairbraider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2006 at 12:07pm
Wow....  what a discussion!  (I won't say everything I feel like saying. Angry

Niccy, this is the LONG hair section.  If you can't be of help here, then please leave.  And will you PLEASE stop referring to long hair in that way!  That only proves your disrespectful attitude!  I must admit that when I read your profile a few days ago when you joined, I thought "yikes!"  You are exactly the reason why I and so many other women will not set foot in a salon!  People like you will not (possibly cannot) respect another person's preferences, forcing your brainwashed opinion on them.  I've never had my hair cut in a salon or by a "professional", never in my entire 26 years.  And it's not because it's long!  It's because they can't be trusted to give the client what she requests and desires.  I get it double time because my hair is not only long, but also natural curly.  *gasp* How dare I love my curls!  The wild beast must be tamed!  I personally don't care what the stylist looks like (i.e. Dave's excellent point about the third party).  Her reputation would be the deciding point for me, no matter how I wanted my hair cut.  End of discussion.

Dave, Bob, others..... thank you!

Edited by hairbraider - December 22 2006 at 10:17am
sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
click here to go to My Hair Space

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2006 at 4:53am
Hey,this a problem for short haired people too. I have never had my hair THAT short,it always at least reached the nape of my neck or shoulders,and I'm constantly getting remarks that I shouldnt cut my hair.So,it goes both ways really.
To be honest,it's not about having long or short hair i dont think.It's about people who want to control you in some way and offer their unwelcomed opinion! Everytime I get my hair cut (and I mean just a trim)my mom says,"WHY did you do that???"
And I'm like,"cuz it was dead and it needed it!" Meanwhile her hair might be long,but it's so frizzy and dry and really nappy.(cuz she bleaches it and perms it,blow drys it,and curls it)
Dont take it to heart and dont listen to what people tell you.Tell them if you wanted a freakin mohawk it would be your priority and to butt out!
And i agree with BOB though,that if I had long hair and wanted it cut I'd ask someone who also had long hair. Why? because stylists with short hair do not respect your hair or listen to you when you say you dont want much cut off.I cant tell you how many times this has happend to not only me,but just about everyone I know.You ask for a half inch to be taken off and they take off 3 inches or more.I should have known better with the last lady who cut my hair.Her hair  was shorter then my husband keeps his.For this reason I have resorted to cutting my hair myself.It may not look as good as when a styilst does it,but you can bet I'm very careful about how much I cut.

Edited by julesyjul88 - December 21 2006 at 5:17am
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2006 at 9:28pm
Precious Girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Precious Girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2006 at 7:30pm
Most of those women you see in magazines and whatever else HAVE EXTENSIONS which are replaced fairly often and can be heat-styled/colored/bleached frequently.
Didn't you make a post asking why you can't have long straight hair like adriana lima?
HAHAHAH
EXTENSIONS!

I know that, I'm not stupid. But if long hair wasn't pretty and professional why would they get extensions to make their hair that way?

I am NOT liking you. You are being a bitch. If you believe so much in short hair GET OFF the long hair board and got to the short hair board.

Why do people insist on causing trouble on a usually peaceful board?
March 2007:

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2006 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by Thisisniccy Thisisniccy wrote:

Like it or not....Truth be told, ALOT of women with "ass-length" hair do end up cutting it off when going into this buisness....IT DOES effect their clienteil.

Ah, okay, you are speaking about the appearance of professionalism within the realm of the salon industry.  I was thinking about professionalism within the context of the greater world of corporations and smaller companies (not in the salon business).

If I wanted a color job I would not want someone with long, blunt-cut, uncolored hair to touch my tresses and many feel the same.

At first that might make some sense.  Until you consider that, in all likelihood, the hair (dye and cut) would have been applied by an unknown third party.  So what the savvy client (who wants well-dyed and cut hair) should be doing is asking the stylists (whose hair they like) who colored and cut their hair... and go to that person/those people for the services. 

And wouldn't it be ironic if the sought-out experts had ass-length hair?  Wink Tongue

In my cosmotology school it used to be a RULE that each attendant had to have hair shoulder-length or shorter and chemically processed.

An informal, unwritten "rule?"  Or in the contractual obligation for the schooling provided and/or the granting of certificate of completion?  I would guess only the former.  And what of the student who happens to like having ass-length hair, but simultaneously wants to be a technically competent (and sought-after!) stylist?  Is he/she precluded from even trying to complete the course of study?  And is this part of the reason why the industry is stagnant, because candidates with long hair styling  ideas are rejected (or forced to conform to the Borg)?

Edited by DaveDecker - December 20 2006 at 9:23pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic