Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shrink links and stick hair,need advice!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yorkieluvr06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yorkieluvr06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shrink links and stick hair,need advice!!
    Posted: November 16 2006 at 3:44am
Hello ladies! I am extremely eager to put in some hair extensions,and have been considering getting the shrink link starter kit and stick hair from yourhairshop.com.There is a demo on the site that makes it seem quite simple,so here's my question,how many of you out there have ever managed to put in a full head of hair by yourself with the shrink links and stick hair and how long does it take,how many stick strands on average are needed?? I like having the freedom to put my hair up in ponytails and other different styles that you wouldn't be able to achieve with glued in wefts,so this method really appeals to me.However,do you think its something I'd be able to do by myself ,maybe with the help from a friend or do you think it would be too much of a challenge lol?? Any advice and other methods suggestions welcome!!
B.B. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B.B. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2006 at 11:52am
I've installed shrinkies a bunch of times.  It is a challenge, but if you can get accustomed to working from a mirror you'll be okay.  Seems everyone rigs-up something different in how they work it.  I still use a handheld mirror and my large bathroom mirror - would be a lot quicker if I used something more stationary.  Having a friend might help. 

You'll want to make sure to attach them far enough away - like in the demo - from your scalp both to avoid breakage, and to put it in ponytails etc. 

Average pieces seem to be around 200-240 for a full head but it depends on how much hair you have naturally, and whether you leave rows of hair out in between or not.  Another guide is at least 4 oz of hair.

For your 1st install I'd recommend planning to have most of a day, and remember to use a drop of nail glue or super glue on the tips prior to installing.

Good luck!  You'll do great.
Halo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2006 at 12:27pm
super glue?

would you recommend that for use with microlinks too?

I have yet to use shrinkies. I usually use LG on wefts or do a whole head of fusion. I'm going to try out one row of microlinks with my fusion install this time to see what happens. If i had the shrinkies I'd do a row of that too, to see which lasts longest. Myabe I'll leave a row out and get some

It's Official...
I'm Addicted To Hair Extensions!
B.B. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B.B. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2006 at 12:48pm

A drop of super glue or nail glue on the ends of the stick hair helps prevent shedding.  I've done it with links also.  I love shrinkies, the metal links hurt my head...yea..soooo sensitive!  LOL  LOL

Halo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2006 at 1:25pm
thanks so much

yeah my head is super sensitive too, which is why I never tried the microlinks before

I'm having a rough time with fusion now.

I used to be all shades of blond for years and the fusion glue aging and turning white was no problem cuz my hair was so light it blended in. Now that I went black/brown, when the fusion glue goes white it shows up terribly and looks like I have serious weirdness going on in my hair. So I'm looking for alternatives.

I'm dying to get my hands on some shrinkies to try them.
It's Official...
I'm Addicted To Hair Extensions!
amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2006 at 8:14pm
Suggestion: black shrinkies. :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic