Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Which of these products is the best?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Precious Girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Precious Girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which of these products is the best?
    Posted: December 08 2006 at 8:21pm
I am going shopping this weekend while I still have extra money. Should I get:

TRESemme Vitamin B12 & Gelatin Anti-Breakage Conditioner

or

Garnier Fructis Long And Strong Fortifying Shampoo/ Conditioner

or

Vitamin C & E Natural, Healthy Volume (Shampoo or Condioner?)

or

Redken All Soft Conditioner

A Paddle Brush

or

A wide tooth wooden comb

Redken Smooth Down Heat Glide

or 

Charles Worthington Relax and Unwind Straightening Balm

or

Redken Straighting Lotion 5 Ounce

March 2007:

babycheeks24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babycheeks24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2006 at 9:36am

anything Redken always wooden wide tooth comb for when hair is wet, i dont brush unless with a boar brush and that is dry only.

Edited by babycheeks24 - December 12 2006 at 9:37am
Babycheeks
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2006 at 12:44pm
I haven't tried most of those products so I can't help you there. 

The reason the wide tooth comb is better is because it tends to make you start at the bottom and carefully work your way up loosening your knots instead of tearing through them from the top down.  That said, I much prefer a brush because I like to brush my scalp.  A brush is okay if you are careful and you get one that doesn't have those stupid plastic balls on the ends of each bristle that peel off and pull your hair. (Unfortunately, its almost impossible to find one without those plastic ends, so if you find one, do share...I could really use a new brush as my 10 year old one's bristles are popping off, but I won't be trading it in until I find a good hair safe one with which to replace it).

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2006 at 9:03pm
Hi Precious Girl,

If you don't already have a wide-tooth comb, I would recommend that.  Paddle brushes are best used after the hair is completely detangled using a comb.

As for conditioners, the fewer silicones (and lower they are in the ingredient list), the better.

In my experience, what's most important in a shampoo is to not apply it full strength (and to only apply it to the scalp and the hair near the scalp).

I would skip the straightening and heat balms; they'll merely coat your hair with silicones (which will ultimately dry it out), and the heat balm will encourage you to apply heat, which will damage it.

HTH!
AmandaPanda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmandaPanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2006 at 12:32am
Wide tooth wooden combs are great - the smoother the better! I don't recommend getting it wet, nor using it on wet hair, though (since it is made of wood)

blondesteff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blondesteff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2006 at 9:59pm

Get the Dove brand. It has done wonders for mine since I started using it.

Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2006 at 10:51am
Doesn't the dove brand have silicones? I might be wrong, but for some reason I have always thought the do.

Alisa06
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
AmandaPanda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmandaPanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2006 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by Alisa06 Alisa06 wrote:

Doesn't the dove brand have silicones? I might be wrong, but for some reason I have always thought the do.

I think so, too. Drugstore.com usually has ingredients listed.

I found the shampoos too harsh
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic