Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Long and the Short of it!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
whhoiskad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whhoiskad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Long and the Short of it!
    Posted: January 06 2007 at 9:42pm
Hi all and a Happy New Year,

Havent been posting as much i would like to, but i am here with a long awaited update! Please be warned this post is quite long and contains a product warning(I hope its not against the forum rules to post product warnings!)  I last posted in Sept with this progess pic.

Soon after that, Boots (UK Chain of Pharmacy and Health and Beauty products) realised this product http://www.boots.com/shop/product_details.jsp?productid=1072486&classificationid=1002111&wblinktype=C06S2R03L02
i thought it sounded a good way combat the fizz and have a change from wavey hair for a while! So early Oct i tried it out, makes your hair poker straight but for a price! After a week of having tried it my BSL hair was dull, dry, fizzy (defeats the object!) with damage and breakage from the midlengths to the tips, seriously knotty (up untill this morning took 15 minutes to de knot every day!)

I couldnt believe it, i was so disapointed with myself for letting myself get swept away with the hype of this product, i wore my hair up most of Oct.
We also moved house so i needed it out of the way, moving boxes etc!

In early Nov i booked in for a trim at the local salon i go to, they where appaled by my hair and it took the two sisters to comb it out properly, even though i had just combed it before i left the house! The trimed of a good inch, gave me an ash brown all over semi colour(ash as i wanted to counteract some of the redness in my hair) and a good deep conditioning.
I felt a bit better about my hair after that treatment!

One week later on my birthday my hair looked like this
as you can see in this photo serious lack of shine, to touch it felt very dry and bits broke of when i brushed it, you can see how straight it is though, but that didnt matter anymore i just wanted my healthy shiney wavey hair back!

If you are reading this and you live in the UK and you value your hair long or short, please be very wary of this product! People are having mixed results on review websites, but unfortunly it just was not for me.

I did a lot of thinking in Dec about what to do with my hair to get it back to its former self, i was currently using a deep conditner everytime i washed my hair instead of once a week to keep to looking somewhat healthy and shiney.

I knew deep down that the only way i was going to get healthy hair again was to have it cut off, i bought some hair magazines and choose some short styles and looked on the short hair board for some insparation. My mind was made up I would have new hair for the new year!

Going back to Christmas 2005 i was given a £50 voucher for Toni and Guy from my auntie and it had been sitting in my drawer till this morning. Last Sat when i was in town i popped in for a consultation, i was quite nervous about going there due to reviews and if they were going to be rude or snobby, i was pleasantly surprised a nice lady looked at the pics i had cut out from hair magazines and listened to what i wanted, she made some suggestions which i agreed on, i had my hair up and she asked me to take it down she was shocked by the condition, i told her about the Boots system, she said i was not the only one she had seen that could give Bob Marley a run for his money in the dreadlock stakes!

This was my hair before leaving this morning, as you can see it is frizzy, dry and knotty. Was feeling quite nervous at this time.

So at 11am this morning i went to Toni and Guy Stafford and had an inverted bob with blonde highlights(never tried blonde before so it was a change!) and dark brown lowlights. The salon was airy and clean, they were very busy but i had three cups of tea, good team playing atmosphere and not a snotty person insight! The guy who cut my hair was fantastic, he could not speak (dumb) go he communicated by pointing and gestering, it just goes to show disability is nothing! He was very careful i told him i was a bit nervous, but he was a wiz with the sisscors and tailored the cut to suit my face and gave me styling tips.
The colourist was also fantastic and she gave me colours that match my skintone and eye colour and toned down my pink cheeks!

Here is a few pics, my camera likes making my hair look copper, but it is cool blonde and dark brownish

I felt so relieved after the damage was all gone, i do not regret having it cut and i am quite enjoying it! Would i grow it out again? Yes. Would i go any shorter? Who Knows! Change is good. I have also posted this on the short hair forum too. Thanks again to all that have supported me last year with my hair journey, i will still come on the long hair boards i am not going to just abandon you all!

You have made it to the bottom of this post,well done and thanks for reading!

Hair Type 2a/m/ii
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2007 at 11:35pm
I think it looks cute on you. I am sorry about your hair. It was very pretty before.I like the coloring to.

Alisa06
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
SpecialKitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2007 at 11:51pm
It really looks beautiful on you, and very healthy, shiny and lovely. I say do whatever makes you feel good about your hair and your self! If you decide to start growing it out again, you know where to come!! Thanks for posting your story, whhoiskad.....
AmandaPanda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmandaPanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2007 at 12:37am
Originally posted by Alisa06 Alisa06 wrote:

I think it looks cute on you. I am sorry about your hair. It was very pretty before.I like the coloring to.

I agree! Though I am partial to long hair Wink

I can't believe what those products did to your hair!

ETA: I had cut my hair short, and liked it for a few months, but then I started to miss my hair....and long story short (no pun intended!).....here I am now!

Edited by AmandaPanda - January 07 2007 at 12:56am
Kitty Kat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kitty Kat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2007 at 10:48am
Very cute! And you know it's healthy again. I understand about you getting caught up in the hype of the product. I probably would have tried it if we had it here!!! I was so close to having my hair chemically straightened at a salon a year or two ago. Usually, when I want something I'm pretty impulsive and do it NOW. But thank goodness, I did a lot of research on the Internet and while some people were happy with their straightening, there were enough horror stories for me to decide not to do it.
whhoiskad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whhoiskad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2007 at 2:04pm

Thank you all for your kind comments!

Alisa06 - Cute, thats the first word my bf said after 'who are you, i dont regonise you'! Glad you like it!

SKitty - Thank you! It really does feel very healthy, i am planning to keep it for spring and summer, very cooling on back of neck, then make a desicion to grow or stay after summer, i certainly know where you are if i need you!

Amanda Panda - Thank you, I know i cannot belive what that product did either! To curious for my own good!

Kitty Kat - Thank you! Sounds like you are very curious and inplusive like me! I usually review everything i buy www.ciao.co.uk is my fav review site, i bought this product about a week after it was released so there was no reviews, Boots is very trusted and respected in the UK, so i didnt really give it a thought! Swept away by marketing and media, strange how it can sway you and influence you!

Hair Type 2a/m/ii
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2007 at 6:05pm
Hi Kate!

I am sorry to hear the product wrecked your hair.  I read its description and it sounds like some kind of a permanent relaxer (harsh chemicals!) but it claims to make your hair "stronger?"  (yah right, ha ha.)  No, there certainly aren't rules here against providing cautionary warnings about products... (I certainly don't see your story as glowing praise of it).  Anyway, I can certainly understand why you chose to chop (even though the damage wasn't readily apparent in the last "before" photo you shared).

Most importantly, I'm sure we all just want you to have the hairstyle you want to have.  It is good to read that you are in good spirits about your hair.  There is great power in positive thinking.  Smile

Alayney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alayney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2007 at 3:11am
WOW! The style/shape and color of your long hair was just STUNNING! But I also like the new look -- it makes your eyes look AMAZING! And you've STILL got GREAT hair -- love the texture! Cute style! You've got great hair ANY way you "cut" it! 
whhoiskad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whhoiskad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2007 at 6:08pm
Hi Dave and Alayney,

Dave! Thanks for your feedback and for taking the time to read the discription/concoxion of chemicals! If only i had done that back in Sept :)
On the other hand i am still enjoying my hair and no regrets so far, one of my biggest concerns was, am i going to wake up the next day thinking uh oh. The power of positive thinking works wonders, i swear by it :)

Alayney - Thanks you for your kind comment. Your avatar pic reminds me of Drew Barrymore, i really think you look like her :) I loved the 'pun' on the end of your feedback!
Hair Type 2a/m/ii
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic