Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

how much is to much vit. A?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
monica001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monica001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how much is to much vit. A?
    Posted: January 11 2007 at 10:36pm
my hair vit. A has 5000 IU. my mult has 3500 IU 30% bete cartatone. [sp?]is this to much? i know to much can cause hair to fall out! i now other vits. has up to 10,000 IU.
Lil'Bohemian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lil'Bohemian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2007 at 6:31pm
I am not sure how much is too much-
but I do know that vitamin A from beta carotine source is safe; whereas non-beta carotene vitamin A is stored within the fats of your body and can be harmful in large amounts.
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2007 at 4:37pm
From http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/vitamins.html

"Intake of up to 10,000 IU, twice the current recommended daily level, is thought to be safe. However, there is some evidence that this much preformed vitamin A might increase the risk of hip fracture or some birth defects.

Optimal Intake: The current recommended intake of vitamin A is 5,000 IU for men and 4,000 IU for women.
"

It sounds like you're getting almost twice the recommended intake.  If you're experiencing higher-than-normal shedding, you might want to partially reduce your intake of one or the other.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic