Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - when its time to touch up can you change colour
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

when its time to touch up can you change colour

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
cinderella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cinderella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: when its time to touch up can you change colour
    Posted: January 29 2007 at 9:43pm
if its been say 3 months from your last root touch up and colour is it ok to change the colour? Say you are usually a ash blonde and the colour has faded would it be ok to do root touch up of dark blonde and then put the colour on the rest for the 10 minutes or would that be asking for trouble. I have a friend who colours her hair dark with a wine glow and sometimes she changes it and has a red glow
julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2007 at 1:19am
 Yes,I have done this before.My hair was very light blonde and the roots grew out a bit. At the beach I dyed the roots and the rest a CHAMPHANGE BLONDE (which is alot darker and ashy) and it looked pretty good.
Good luck.Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cinderella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2007 at 3:32am
Thanks, what brand do you use

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2007 at 7:40pm
It was LOREAL excellence,but I have used all brands.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cinderella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2007 at 8:29pm
Do you have an opinion on which is better, Loreal or Clairol? Thanks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2007 at 10:42pm
Nope. I used Loreal most of my life...but clairol has much better customer service. Even if you dont use Clairol's products,you can call them or instant message them and they will tell you how to fix a hair blooper.
Loreal has better hair dye if you are trying to go extra light blonde  (Blonde supreme and Les Blondeimess)
Clairol has better dye for those with natural hair just looking for a boost like natural instincts (great product!)
Rebekah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebekah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2007 at 11:01am
I don't know which is better but L'Oreal tends to be warmer than Clairol colors.  Just what I have found to be true with my hair. 

Rebekah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cinderella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2007 at 3:22pm
How long have you guys been colouring your hair, has it caused any damage, thanks for your advice
Rebekah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebekah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2007 at 9:33pm

I've been coloring my own hair for a few years now.  Single process color, as long as it's not overlapped will dry my hair and so I use conditioners to keep it healthy.  Bleach on the other hand does do quite a bit of damage and causes breakage with my hair--especially the tone on tone look.

Anyway, try to color as infrequently as possible.  Don't go from dark to light and then from light to dark as this causes much damage.  It's better to find a color you like and stick with it.  At least this is what I have done.  Good luck!

Rebekah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cinderella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2007 at 9:40pm
what is a single process colour, I used to use a clairol ash blonde permanent before I wrecked my hair. Thanks Rebekah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2007 at 1:14am
It CAN be damaging if you overlap it like Rebekah said. I only really ruined my hair once...I dyed it 3 times in one day,then went to a salon and they dyed it 2 more times (to try to fix what I did) and then it just turned to mush.
Needless to say,I DONT do that anymore!!! If I want a drastic change I'll go to a salon. Now I ONLY color my roots about once a month and my hair is very healthy.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cinderella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2007 at 2:00pm
Jules you do your roots monthly, how often do you touch up the rest and for how long do you leave it on. Sorry if I sound like I am repeating myself. How hard is it to do the roots, how do you manage the back of your head. Do you do it in 1cm parts, havent ever tried it yet but am going to have to once my hair is healthy as I cant afford the salon. Thanks so much

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2007 at 7:15pm
I look in my bathroom mirror to do the back of my head...

It is quite easy to only do the roots. You simply part the hair in sections and only put the color on the new growth.

I dont reccomend coloring all over alot unless color has faded and you need to refresh,but overlapping color often is what many say damages hair.
It's ok to ask questions~I dont mind helping Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cinderella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2007 at 10:02pm
Thanks jules, so do you refresh your colour ever? if not what make and colour are you using, I may have to try it. I am desperate not to wreck my hair again but as it is getting grey I need to colour. The semi-perms dont cover my grey. Thanks so much for helping out. PS Is that you in the picture?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2007 at 11:26pm
Lately,I have been refreshing alot because since I dyed my hair darker about 6 months ago (it was blonde) I've had some resistant blonde streaks that keep popping back through.
However,I always use a protein filler before I do it all over.

Yes,that is me in my avatar. Last time I colored I used Loreal medium warm brown. (it has some red in it)
You can also get shampoos that have some color in them to help if you have fading. I use one called ARTEC that i ordered online.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cinderella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2007 at 12:55am
Someone suggested on another post to just use the colour without developer when refreshing, have you ever done that, I asked the Loreal people and they said not to do it and just to follow their instructions in the box. Thanks for replying, wish we had all this hair stuff available here in nz.

PS thats a cool pic of you, looks very professional

Edited by cinderella - February 06 2007 at 12:57am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2007 at 1:10am
I have used just the color without the developer when I was using a color as a filler before. (complicated,but I used red color to cover my blonde hair,then brown over top of that)
Just the color alone is so strong though (the way it smells and it kinda stings your eyes!) That I have a hard time doing that.

Thanks about the picture,I took it with my cell phone while standing in front of my window,LOL.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic