Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

An Outrage on the Short Hair forum!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: An Outrage on the Short Hair forum!
    Posted: February 24 2007 at 6:46pm
I keep up with the short forum (among others) to ensure that issues, when they arise, are dealt with.  From what I recall of the thread in question (haven't looked at it since it was last updated), I think the OP was talking about his wife.

Respecting differences in opinions aids civility.  As long as nobody is being coerced, hurt physically/emotionally, abused or taken advantage of, I see no reason for concern.

julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2007 at 3:58am
I'm not trying to be rude..but how do we really know the topic about the sisters buzzing their hair is even real. I know it was posted cuz I saw it,I mean,how we know someone didnt just do it to just a rise out of everyone. Seems kinda strange coincidence considering Britney spears just did it...
Skydancer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skydancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2007 at 6:09pm
I think you will find she is HIS partner, and since she wanted to grow her hair and he likes short hair she offered to let him cut it one last time if he wanted to.  I don't see anything too outrageous about that.  Oh, and I think her hair was in a bob anyway so there wasn't a huge change in overall length.

Edited by Skydancer - February 23 2007 at 6:10pm
"Sometime's you have to roll the hard six"

"I hope evil takes mastercard"
Heratic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heratic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2007 at 4:08pm

The other great thing is that people can move between the forums i.e a short haired lady decides to grow her hair or the reverse of someone deciding that the time is right cut their hair and go short - and nobody judges them for that decision.

What people appreciate most is having the freedom to decide for themselves and receiving compliments from like minded souls never hurt anyone.

There will always be individuals who want hair that is 3mm, 3 inches or 3 feet long and are adamant that they will never ever change.

Its your hair, your choice and your decision
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2007 at 1:51pm
Subforums are good.  They keep all of us healthy, via that lower blood pressure Bob mentioned!  I am glad we don't have to fight, since it seems those of us here on the long hair forums prefer to be more supportive, its nice to have a place we can congregate in peace.  Thank you! Thumbs%20Up

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2007 at 4:48pm
Ironically when HairTalk was first started back in 1997 there was just one forum that was created to talk about hair - all hair.  The first reason for breaking the forums into sub-topics happened shortly after HairTalk was launched.  We had people posting lots of Personals (i.e. man looking for woman to talk about waves or whatever) and thus the Personals sub-topic was created. 

Then there was a request by JerkyFlea to create a separate Celebrity Hair Forum and that sub forum was born as a result. 

From there lots of requests were received on a vast number of subjects which is why there are now over 100 different topics.  I still receive emails on a regular basis from people with unique hair interests requesting more sub-forums but unless I think there is a big audience, I refrain from adding more topics at this point.

And yes...the people on the Short Hair forum are very militant about buzzing and chopping while the people here are very strong in their opinions about long hair rights.  Which makes sense since that is why there are sub-forums.

As a person who loves long hair and has worn it below my waist for a large part of my life, I have to work hard not to be prejudicied about my hair likes since I know that I am definitely prejudiced to long hair issues.  So like Bob, I just don't visit the Short Hair forum unless I have to delete spam or other admin tasks.  :-)

Meanwhile, I am glad you long hair people visit because I do read the posts here as often as I can and appreciate all the info you share.  And I also appreciate Dave Decker who has been nuturing the long hair topics for so many years.

Edited by Karen Shelton - February 21 2007 at 4:51pm
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2007 at 2:59pm
     Over the years, I have posted on the "Short" board several times. Usually, I resonded when someone with long hair sincerely asked whether she'd look better as a shortie. My thoughts have not been well-received! (lol) The folks there are very territorial, and some see it as their mission to convince every woman to chop.
     Really, though, that board is basically a place where people who love short locks gather and revel. (Much as this board exists for long hair afficionados.) I don't think our group is *quite* as sensitive, but we are somewhat protective b/c one moment's decision can trigger years of regret. In recent months, I've discovered that avoiding that board altogether decreases one's blood pressure. (lol) Best, Bob LOL

Edited by Bob S - February 21 2007 at 3:00pm
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2007 at 10:23am
Oh I thought it was a boyfriend, not a sister.  Yes, I did see that thread and what I thought was that this person wanted to buzz the girl, or they would have asked the question on General Hair talk instead of the short hair forum.  So, the responses were all from people who said "yes enjoy buzzing it now or she maybe won't let you later".  Whole thing looked pretty selfish from everyone involved but the "buzzee" in my opinion. 

Edited to add:  I guess people who like short hair may frequent the short hair forum because part of their joy is the cutting of the hair.  To me to enjoy cutting off a woman's hair in the way some of those posts sound like they enjoy it sounds like what they enjoy is the de-feminizing, like they get off on it - and I don't really understand why someone would enjoy that, (but if I'm wrong do let me know).  I do see a difference between enjoying cutting and styling hair - and I could see how the creative aspect of that could be fun for your normal stylist - and the responses there, some of which do sound selfish and almost abusive in nature.

Edited by Susan W - February 21 2007 at 10:31am
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
SpecialKitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2007 at 10:15am
There are several well known longhairs who decided to grow long from a buzzcut or from bald to "start fresh." If her sister is a willing participant, and has decided to grow long after the extreme haircut, I don't think there is anything shocking about this......just my two cents.
Alayney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alayney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2007 at 11:40pm
Well, when you post something like that in a "short hair forum," OF COURSE, that is going to be the response. Just like if it was posted HERE, it would get the opposite response. It should be posted in a more neutral zone.
AmandaPanda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmandaPanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2007 at 11:30pm
WOW! I'm speechless.....

Why hasn't she tried posting that poll here? Did she want that sort of reaction?

It sounds like people are being really heartless/selfish over there...as if they really don't care. It's like, don't try to do anything with her hair, just buzz it....it'll solve all your problems. Dead

Edited by AmandaPanda - February 20 2007 at 11:32pm
HaleyCake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HaleyCake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2007 at 9:45pm
Okay, I don't know how many of you have ventured over in that direction, but I read something that made me cry out in anguish! (not really, but it did make me very upset!)
A lady posted a poll as to whether she should chop her sister's (I think it was her sister anyway) hair into a bob and then buzz the back, or just let it grow out. She was taking a poll, and said that whichever haido got the most votes after two days, that's the one she would do.
What really shocked me however was this- her sister was going to let her do whatever she wanted to her hair one last time, because she had decided to let it grow really long (like midback) after that. Everyone was encouraging the girl to buzz her sister's hair, and I thought it was HORRIBLE advice!
I don't know if any of you have sisters, but I have two, and if one of them told me she was going to grow her hair to midback, and that I could do whatever I wanted to it before the journey began, I sure as heck wouldn't give her a buzzcut. HOW UNSUPPORTIVE!!!

I don't really know whay this upset me so much, except that twenty people chimed in with "YEAH BUZZ IT ALL OFF!!!" like the sister's hair was some sort of sacrifice that all the blood-thirsty short hairs were dying to see cut off.

Edited by HaleyCake - February 20 2007 at 9:47pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic