Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Increase in daily Hair loss

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
anizu89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anizu89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Increase in daily Hair loss
    Posted: February 25 2007 at 9:32am
Hi everyone.....i was wondering if anyone can help me, im 17 years old, im not a vain person, but i have always been very particular with my hair especially cause i have fine hair, i have been told that u lose between 50-100 hairs a day, but about 2 months ago i colored my hair at home for the third time in my whole life and after doing this i noticed a change in the hair i lost everyday, i used not lose that much hair, im starting to let myself get stressed and thats not helping the cause, but i need to know from someone who knows about fine hair if this normal if there is something i should do or stop doing, if im freaking out for no good reason.........PLEASE, I JUST NEED A LITTLE REASSURANCE FROM OTHER FINE HAIRED PPL AND MAYBE EVEN A PROFESSIONAL AS WELL.....THANKS
Seraphina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seraphina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2007 at 12:30pm

You have to be very gentle with fine hair.  I stopped having perms with mine owing to bad breakage, thankfully my hair did recover and yours will too :)  Perhaps the dye was too harsh for your hair, stress won't be helping you either.

I can only think of seeking a doctor's advice if the loss is very bad or perhaps to see a hairdresser to inspect the damage?

I hope the loss has settled down now.  Good luck :)

anizu89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anizu89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2007 at 1:05pm
Thanks for the reassurance and advice......my hair loss seems to be settlling down a bit, its still there but i think its getting better. i am also going to see a hairstylist next week, but thanks for the input, it has definetely calmed my nerves.......i would just like to ask u one thing....how long did it take for your hair to recover????........thanks again Big%20smile
Seraphina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seraphina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2007 at 10:20am
Not very long - thank God.  Luckily I had long hair so it hid the damage and although the short tufts were annoying at first, they blended quickly enough with the rest of the hair.

I don't bother chemically treating my hair at all now.  It only has hairspray and mousse in it. :)
anizu89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anizu89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2007 at 1:39pm
thanks again.........what hair products do u recommend for fine hair.....and r there any good to help restore your hair?........thanks, for answering my questions
Seraphina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seraphina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2007 at 9:07am
The gentler the products the better.  In my experience nothing actually works to make the hair thicker other than wearing it up a lot and then when it is down, provided you have put mousse in it, it has some volume then.  But these shampoos and conditioners that claim to volumise the hair never do.  You just need to be very gentle with your hair and make the most of what you have. 

I went through the phase of wearing those clip on hair pieces when I really needed to fantasise about having thick, wavy curly hair.  I found that the smaller the clip though the better as mine is too silky and fine to support a big clasp.

Now I am just using scrunchies, braids and a "stylee" that I adore. 

I don't know how long your hair is though.  Shorter hair is easier to curl and you might find gel will hold it better.

I never used to use conditioner as my hair was so silky anyway.  But since joining these forums I do now and find it is much easier to comb through when wet.

Hope this is of some help to you. Smile
anizu89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anizu89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2007 at 2:40pm
thanks again......i have another question Embarrassed...Smile, i have been thinking about what hair cut i want to get next week....and i have always wanted to get bangs, but im not sure they will work with my hair....and i also want to let my hair grow out, right now i have it shoulder length, but i have always been told that fine hair doesnt work long......what r ur thoughts on this.......i also have this obnoxious in between curly and straight thing going.......its very annoying, cause niether straight nor curly, just this in between wavy thing......thanks for all ur input it has really helped....ur very sweet to take the time to give me advice on all this, the only other person i know that has fine hair is my sis, but she always as her hair up in a ponytail, so she doesnt do as much to her hair......thanks a ton
Seraphina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seraphina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2007 at 6:06pm
Sorry I am late with the reply, perhaps you've already cut your hair by now.  I can't wear fringes away, it irritates my forehead.  I did have a fringe once but it annoyed me so much I clipped it back.

Most people will tell you that fine hair should be shorter.  The problem is our hair lacks body.  I just didn't like short hair.  In my time I've had a bob and a pageboy - the pageboy just looked awful on me.  The bob was nice but I found it boring and too high maintenance for me, all that trimming and grooming isn't for me.

I just wear mine up all the time.  When I can be bothered I can French braid it or put it in a bun.  Usually I just fold it into a French pleat and put a Stylee in it now.  I love scrunchies as well.

I don't think my hair will ever grow very long though.  Considering my infrequent trips to the hairdressers, it never seems to get much past BSL.  I read somewhere that hair this length is about two years old so this probably means my hair has a two year life span! :(

When I go away on holidays I cheat and wear an extra long hair piece - nobody knows me so hopefully they won't realise it's artificial! :)
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2007 at 12:22pm
Your hair loss is most likely breakage from your home coloring job.  That is fairly common with fine hair.  I would suggest having a professional do the color from now on if you can.  Even still you will get breakage but it is minimized.  Try deep conditioners and maybe cutting some of the length.  That can help with the breakage.  Using heat is bad too.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
StringyMimi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StringyMimi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2007 at 4:53pm
Well, I had/have this same problem.
One thing I learned, is to NEVER, EVER use the boxed coloring crap that you can get at the pharmacy or grocery store.  Always, always always go to a salon to get your hair colored.  It lasts way longer, comes out perfectly even and it is much safer.  I had/have a perm and it damaged my hair, but not nearly as much as the box of color did.   Shampoos and conditioners that say they make your hair thick usually don't work, even the most expensive ones, but surprisingly, the Suave "Thicker" Conditioner does give your hair a little more life, and if used in combination with a good mousse, you can help your hair to not look so flat.
julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2007 at 1:48am
Actually Nioxin DOES make your hair thick.

Also,I agree MOST box dyes can be bad,but not all. I use semi-permanent ones just to add a boost of color (not actually Change the color) and my hair is healthier then it probably has been my whole life,LOL.
Seraphina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seraphina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2007 at 10:02am

I've had more bad experiences in hairdressers than from over the counter products.  Chemicals are bad for your hair, full stop.  Some people's hair can take them, others can't, and it is best to steer clear form harsh products when your hair is fine whether it's over the counter or at the hairdressers.  Also hairdressers attitudes are pretty bad when dealing with fine hair, they keep telling you how fine you hair is as if you never knew that in your life.

Best thing to do now is to just treat the hair gently so it recovers, some of the length might have to be lost to make it look better and of course as has already been pointed out stay clear from heat like tongs or hairdryers.

I've lived with fine hair all my life, unfortunately you just have to accept it.

I've never found any shampoos or conditioners will actually make a different to thickness, but putting mousse on it, and braiding it over night and then putting it up makes it look as thick as anybody else.  I often get complimented on mine even though it is very baby fine hair.

Nioxin is used to treat hair loss isn't?  So it might well help then if hair loss is the problem and not just being cursed with fine hair all your life.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2007 at 1:46am
No,ROGAINE is used to treat hair loss. NIOXIN  is used to plump up what you already have. 

Seraphina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seraphina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2007 at 10:16am
Okay thanks for that :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2007 at 3:39pm
Wink
wlkrs715 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wlkrs715 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2008 at 8:27pm
NIOXIN does not make your hair thick. Speaking from experience, it makes even more hair fall out. I had 10x as much hair fall out using Nioxin than when I used Mane and Tail. If you read the bottle, it specifically states that the thickness is perceived by users. It's all in your head.
snoopyCare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snoopyCare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2009 at 1:24pm
I have fine hair and I was considering to use Nioxin too
smilegoldn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smilegoldn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2009 at 12:19pm
What is Nioxin? I gotta know!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic