Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Coloring over elumen at home?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
staceywc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote staceywc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coloring over elumen at home?
    Posted: March 09 2007 at 7:43am
I've been doing my own hair with Goldwell Topchic 20 vol 50/50 blend of 9gn and 8kg and liked the results.  Last month I really wanted to try their Elumen line so I went to a salon and she put on a color that was somewhat more carrot-top for me but still ok (after prelightening my roots to compensate)...anyway, I didn't love it nor the price tag and would like to go back to home maintenance with the topchic.  SO...I did research on the goldwell site and they say you can color over the Elumen as long as you aren't trying to go lighter which I wouldn't be (though the tone is different to some extent)...if I switch back to the previous topchic formula will that all blend or will I get some awful result?  I am also considering throwing in a foil or two of a 7kg (or if that sounds awful, tell me another lowlightish color for very light contrast)...

Anyway, just got a little nervous about that Elumen as I don't know much about it nor do I want to have reddish blond roots and some sort of mutated orange shafts/ends.

What do you think?
Rebekah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebekah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2007 at 9:43am
The only way to know for sure is to strand test.  Good luck. 

Rebekah
sliv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sliv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2007 at 3:11pm
Hi stacywc,
        My name is sliv and I've worked with elumen and I can tell you that it's very hard to get out of the hair.

Elumen is a direct dye that "coats" the hair and therefor makes it hard for other colors to adhere.  Other hair colors tend to slip off.
I would go back and tell the stylist that did it to use elumens product to remove the color and then it MAY be easier to get the color you are looking for.  This is one of the reasons I stopped using elumen on my customers.
Good Luck
S~
staceywc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote staceywc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2007 at 6:41am
Sliv--

Thanks for that info.  I've been abusing the elumen for about a week now with non color safe shampoo and lots of conditioner.  Still not much fading, but actually the color is relatively nice.  I really just want to redo the roots so presumably if I go with a color that is "close" to what the elumen looks like now it would mostly blend?  I really like having the elumen in there as it seems to be like a filler on the porous parts.  If it wasn't for having to lighten the roots to get it to match I'd probably keep using the elumen but it seems harsh to do the bleaching to get there and too labor intense as my growth is obvious about 2-3 weeks after.  My hair seems to grow relatively fast.  My mom claims to be able to see my roots within 2 days of the service, yikes!  I may just do a strand test or two and see if I can get something that will be reasonably ok.  Thanks for the info though.
Slipknothartgir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slipknothartgir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2007 at 12:56pm
Sliv is right! I hope u listen to her.Good luck!
staceywc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote staceywc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2007 at 4:33pm
as an update, I figured even if it didn't do anything to the elumen from the roots down it would at least bring my roots closer (the color I was targetting wasn't that far off the elumen color anyway)...so I just did it and figured if I had to go to the salon for correction so be it.  Well it worked out just fine and my mom thought it was an immediate improvement even over the elumen portions.  So it was a success story even though it might have turned out differently.
sliv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sliv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2007 at 9:06pm
Sliv is a man. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic