Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

aaarrgh!!! wet sets!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
femmemuscle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote femmemuscle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: aaarrgh!!! wet sets!!!
    Posted: March 25 2007 at 2:19pm
I decided after reading someone's suggestion that wet setting was probably more "gentle" to the hair, to give this a try...sure beats running a hot comb through it every day...

My hair is natural, and shoulder length,  there is a weave at 3/4 of my head,  with my natural hair in the front, sides and back...

1) wet setting is for patient, magnanimous, individuals, who don't curse and swear out loud...

2) your fingers and wet, the roller is wet, the setting lotion is wet and slippery, and the clips are wet, your hair is wet with setting lotion on it..my gawd - what a mess...

3)  Then when you think you have the roller in nice and tight, it starts to loosen up...i bent over to pick up a clip that i had dropped, and a big ass roller came bouncing off my shoulder, down my arm, and onto the floor..

4) Putting the clip (with wet, slippery fingers) in just the right place on the roller, is a challenge...if it isn't put in the right place - you'll soon know about it...(Yep...the big ass roller, bouncing off your shoulder, and onto the floor)...

5) if you have a section "too wide" for the roller, some of the hair will "slide off"...

what's worse, this takes practice...plus your arms are "up" the whole time, which isn't the most comfortable position for most of us, unless you're a  f**king volleyball player...

i'm under the dryer now, as i'm typing this frustrating message...I bought this package of Wet Set rollers from Target, which is a place i hardly ever step foot in... Lo and behold, they have about 60 rollers, and only 20-24 clips in the unit...i had to scrounge around the house for extra bobby pins, and we're talking 10 - 15 extra..

I am so "over" this...
some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.
Curly B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curly B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2007 at 6:47pm
You are too funny!LOL  You just took me back to that moment.  I used to get soooooooo frustrated.  My poor babygirl would cry the whole time. 

First I'd wash her hair with expensive, so called good shampoos and conditioners. Then we'd roller set for an hour.  Worst of all, the blowdrying.  Dominicans do not play!  I fell so guilty for putting her through that torture- all the while stripping and drying her lovely curls.   Practically was going broke, and running out of space!  The very products I would buy for her, was the product damaging her hair.  It's a horrible cycle I've learned to free us from. 

No heat is neat!!!  
femmemuscle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote femmemuscle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2007 at 7:40pm
your baby girl would cry?  man, if her and i were getting a rollerset on the same day, i would have been crying - right along with her!

I'm glad you found an alternative..i've read on a couple of forums, and have even seen tutorials on how to do a successful rollerset..

Those women have skillz!Embarrassed

I'll leave it for them...i tried a rollerset one time after that, and gave up..i let a beautician do it for me.. she did it in no-time flat..but after i came out from under the drier (heat) for an hour..my hair was "through!"

it was frizzy, and dry...she pretended not to see it...and pinned up my hair..She said "See? you look like Betty Grable"..you remember the Pin Up Gal? I looked in the mirror and said "No, I look like Little Richard..it looks like someone just set a poodle on my head"...

I left her and never went back - same goes for the rollersets too!

some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic