Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Removing Wax from long hair. Help!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JussOrdinary View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JussOrdinary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Removing Wax from long hair. Help!
    Posted: March 28 2007 at 5:06pm
I just recently bought this wax called Paul Mitchell Dry Wax and tried to style my hair with it(didn't work as well as I wanted it to). My hair is about 14inches long and was light and smooth but since i put the wax in my hair its gotten sticky and rough and i can't get the sutff out of my hair. Anyone know how to remove this stuff and getting my hair back to normal?
letmecount123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote letmecount123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2007 at 6:06pm
Umm.... try clarifying with baking soda? Really hot water? No idea, really!

You can look up instructions for a baking soda rinse on google though or most hair forums.
hairbraider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2007 at 12:13am
Will it not come out with normal shampooing?
sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
click here to go to My Hair Space

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JussOrdinary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2007 at 6:27pm
i've tried for 2 days all ready and it still wont come out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2007 at 8:45am
My goodness!  What's in that stuff?!

Try mixing a tablespoon of baking soda with a tablespoon of normal shampoo.  Shampoo it twice with this mixture.  Then follow with a deep conditioning such as mayonaise or egg and olive oil.  If you don't have these, you can just slather on a whole bunch of conditioner and let it soak for a little while before rinsing it out.  (not as good, but better than nothing)

The baking soda strips the hair and should take off the wax. (I hope!)
If you don't follow with a good conditioning treatment, your hair will be very fragile.
sarah
40 inches

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JussOrdinary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2007 at 7:55pm
thanx alot. the baking soda helped
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2007 at 12:54am

I know this is really late, but for future purposes, and if anybody else ever has this problem ever again, maybe try a heavy overnight oiling with coconut oil, jojoba oil, or a liquid shea butter. Having an oil in there might help break down the wax - especially jojoba oil which is itself a wax ester.

It's kind of like oil being able to slowly break down adhesive on labels. I use coconut oil to remove adhesive residue on jars.

Anais
my LJ, 40 inches long

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2007 at 12:03pm
Hey that's a great idea, Anais!  I never thought of that.  I've used oil to remove candle wax drippings.  I'll have to make a note of that for future reference.  Thanks!
sarah
40 inches
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic