Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - looking younger or older.... a thought question
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

looking younger or older.... a thought question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Mike46019 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike46019 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2007 at 11:31pm
I think that would give you a better base line also. The old hair with the new makeup. Or add the new color in. I bet that would make it also. I just wished they would do a real before and after shot. Smiles and new makeup before doing a cut. Then see if the person still wants to cut thier hair.
Few men are killed by the bayonet;many are scared by it.Bayonets should be fixed when the fire fight starts.General George Patton Jr.,War As I Knew It,1947.
peachesxxx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachesxxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2007 at 7:18pm
here it is......http://www.lwwpets.com/longhair.jpg
peachesxxx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachesxxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2007 at 7:21pm
heres all of the pics on one page to easily compare http://www.lwwpets.com/thatgirlshair.htm
Sarsvati View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarsvati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2007 at 3:14pm
she definitely looks the best with long hair and bangs (and makeup of course).

Regarding the question I think, in general long hair looks better. Some people look good both ways, just different and it just depends on which look you prefer.
If someone has a long face and long hair with a middle part and no bangs, I think that does drag the face down. but you could just get a side part and some bangs or face-framing layers and that solves the problem without having to get short hair.
It's probably an instinctual thing  - long hair= healthy and makes good babies.
juliap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juliap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2007 at 2:50pm
I think the bangs, makeup, and the haircolor are what made her look younger.  When you put her made up face on the long hair you left the bangs which also had some of the new haircolor in them.  This made her look younger.  I think if she had just cut bangs and dyed her hair the new haircolor but left the long hair she would have looked the best.  This is so funny she probably has no clue we are talking about her. 
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2007 at 8:20pm
Comparing the actual after, with the simulated long-haired after, she looks much better long... and the simulated long-hair after blows away the simulated short-hair before.

An excellent deconstruction of the myth about short hair looking better. (Ha!)  Well done, folks!  Clap
hairbraider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2007 at 10:48pm
Thanks Peaches!!  You really proved something here, I believe. 

The bangs do help her face shape, I think.  But the make-up made so much more difference than the haircut!  My sister and I both think she looks younger with the haircut and make-up, but looks even younger with long hair and make-up.  People can be so deceiving to get what they want. Dead

sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
click here to go to My Hair Space
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2007 at 4:47pm
     Game, set and match, Peaches! Even *I* had given some credit to the hairdo for her improved look! LOL Now, with the old pose,  that cut is not so impressive after all. Without styling, it may actually look a bit frumpy. Her hair was MUCH lovelier *long*! Phew, Bob Confused
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2007 at 9:12am
Wow!  What a montage!  I think the shorter do actually looks better with no make up than the longer hair with no makeup (just my opinion guys! Though she would have to do more work in the morning to keep the shorter do looking like that.)  But with the makeup, WOW on the longer hair! The shorter hair with makeup is okay, but she looks much younger to me in the longer one (also just my opinion!).

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Mike46019 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike46019 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2007 at 9:08am
peachesxxx nice work thanks. They still won't do what we did becuase it isn't a "real makeover" I bet if they did a lot of women would keep it long.
Few men are killed by the bayonet;many are scared by it.Bayonets should be fixed when the fire fight starts.General George Patton Jr.,War As I Knew It,1947.
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2007 at 11:13am
That's a good point, with today's tech they ought to photoshop everyone and give them choices for those shows instead of shocking them.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
hairbraider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2007 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by Susan W Susan W wrote:

That's a good point, with today's tech they ought to photoshop everyone and give them choices for those shows instead of shocking them.

Amen to that! 

......but then it wouldn't be the emotional sensational whatever that makes the tv show attractive to the audience.
sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
click here to go to My Hair Space
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2007 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by Susan W Susan W wrote:

Originally posted by hairbraider hairbraider wrote:

Amen to that! 

......but then it wouldn't be the emotional sensational whatever that makes the tv show attractive to the audience.

Most importantly from their perspective, though, once people saw how beautiful the women looked -- with the clothes and makeup and lighting and smiles and long hair styled (uncut or simply trimmed a bit) -- nobody would want short haircuts and they wouldn't get their haircutting jollies Cry (sarcastic tears), although clothing and makeup sales might continue at their usual pace.

Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2007 at 4:16pm
     Confused It's kind of funny; we got into a discussion about age and hair length yesterday at my nephew's b-day party. My two older DD's were exhorting their mom to lose about half her length, at least. I asked them why. It's not that the hair does not look good, (It DOES!), tho' it was braided and pigtailed yesterday, and not fully on display. But their thinking was that it was simply too long (34") for her age.
     DD2 opined that hair is already long when it's at the shoulders, like her own is, and that longer than that is superfluous, *esp.* when one is pushing 50. She asked me, "Does the extra length really make her mom's hair look more beautiful to you?" "OMG yes!" I emphasized.
     I then added, "IMO if a woman wants to experiment with shorter hair, she should do it while she's young. But after 40 especially, longer styles make a woman look stunning and elegant. The WOW effect remains intact! With very few exceptions, the women who are in their 40's and beyond, and have guys still raving about them are the ones who have the long hair." Her one brother totally agreed. 
     As an aside, DW's one SIL, the mom of my nephew, had phenomenally thick, beautiful salt and pepper mid-back hair, until last week. She is 47 and shocked everyone, I'm sure, with a chin-length layered bob at the party. There may have been some comments, but I heard none. Her hair had been a strikingly pleasant contrast to that of her pixied sister and mom at parties past. Why do I suspect that those two may have had something to do with her decision to go for a radical cut? Hummm... (lol) Bob
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2007 at 6:43pm
Interesting story, Bob.  I never cease to be amazed at the insensitivity people express toward those who choose to accept most of the hair they are capable of growing.  IMHO, your lesson to your daughters ought to be one of respecting other's choices even though they may contrast with their own sense of aesthetics. 
HopeB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HopeB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2007 at 7:43pm
I think it depends upon the person--their face, hair texture, personal style and the style they prefer. To be honest, the one thing that automatically makes EVERYONE look younger to me is coloring grey hair. Grey hair automatically ages you---I was stunned to find out the other day that Anderson Cooper just turned 42!
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2007 at 7:04am
Bob S:  Nice story! 

I think that all the makeover shows, and magazines "rules" about how to look at whatever age are what gives people these opinions that are against what would seem to be the obvious truth (that a little makeup, a smile and no haircut fixes everything).  What I don't understand is why people are so easily influenced by that kind of stuff, and so powerfully so that they push others to change their appearances because of it. 

For my mother, you just didn't do anything different.  You HAD to do what everyone else was doing (she was from a small town in Louisiana and looking at her yearbook from 1952 shows how true that was, as every girl had the exact same haircut).   Is that why?

chitraa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chitraa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2007 at 11:17am
healthy & beautiful hair gives the young look
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2007 at 11:09am
WOW, I think the lady in the link looked sooooo much yonger with the longer hair and makeup! To me is was quite a difference. IMO long hair brings about a youthful appearance. It is the shorter styles that add age. It is such a shame that women feel that they need to cut their hair at a certain age. My mom is one of them, she always tells me to enjoy my hair while I can still wear it long. I , in return tell her I will still enjoy it long when I am 20- 30 years older. It may go up and down a few inches here, and there, but that would be it. I have had short, short hair,( only a few inches on the top and shaved in the back) and shoulder length, and waist length. I can honestly say that I feel the most like myself, when my hair is longer.It seams to complete me. It is so sad that so many women out there will not be able to experience to joys of having long hair strictly because of the limitations society has put on our women. 
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
apsara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apsara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2007 at 10:23am
I'm new here.  I've had long hair and I've had *very* short (especially as a child - my mother's decree because it was 'easier').  I feel that my hair now makes me look younger. I'm 41, but am often mistaken for younger and yet, I do believe that if I chopped it,  the age guesses would be closer to home.

My hair is about 2 inches below collarbone right now and I'm aiming for my bra strap - so about 4-5 inches.  I'm taking Hairtopia and viviscal and I bought a bunch of different oils. 

My avatar is a current shot, taken about 2 mos ago, so my hair is about an inch longer than it is there.

My 2 daughters love my hair and want to have long hair too (they do!) and they have beautiful lush hair that can be a pain to take care of (the youngest inherited my mom's thick thick 'india' hair, and the older one inherited my finer hair (also indian, but not the coarse thick hair that everyone else in the family has, much to my dismay growing up)

But my daughters aren't teens yet. I imagine as they get older, a lot of the things they admire about me might annoy them.

Edited by apsara - June 14 2007 at 10:26am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic