Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

what i learned from experience

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
dacrow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dacrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what i learned from experience
    Posted: April 14 2007 at 12:32am
I know I'm a newbie so I don't have too much credibility here, but this year I learned a lot about acne, and for the large majority of the year have been completely clear. I just turned 16 and I'm a male, placing me in the category for people most likely to have acne. But I managed to avoid it almost completely, yet not so much that I know I don't suffer from it at all. In other words, if I don't do the things below, then I do break out.

Overview: I am an asian male, age 16, my skin has small pores and is pretty light for an asian. Up until around August, I had mild acne on my face and pretty bad on my back. After reading up and talking to a doctor, I decided to cut out everything that had even the suspicion of causing acne. Some people disagree over diet, weightlifting, sexual activity, sun exposure, etc. this was a very big, unofficial experiment, and I found a lot of things out. Here are the things I did:

1. Cut down on sugar, to around 60 grams a day (by the way, the FDA reccomends 40-50 I think, but I have a really bad sweet tooth.
Dairy is OUT. Every time I would make a little exception, I would begin to break out a little. Dark chocolate in small amounts is ok since it has no milk.
2. Your sexual activity, must be cut down. This one is really important, I'm very sure that it's a big cause. Once a week, every 5 days is pushing it. Many, many people doubt this and flame those who suggest it. But I am 100% sure it does affect acne, and as far as the medical explanation: When you engage in sexual activity, hormones like testosterone are spiked, leading to acne. If sex didn't cause hormone changes, then why is sex drive gone after having sex? There is medical evidence as well.
3. Avoid touching the face completely. This was very difficult as a habit to cut out. Also avoid touching any other area that suffers, like the back. Scratching is a definite no.
4. Avoid deep fried and extremely salty foods. (basically this means don't eat fast food).
5. Don't weight lift, or only do a little bit. (more on this below).
6. Sun exposure: not too much, an hour a day is all right. Use sunscreen.
7. If you have long hair, meaning bangs that go over your forhead, and you aren't out (at school, work, etc.) use a hat (I like beanies) to pull it back off your forhead. The oil from the hair can cause break outs.
8. Products: I don't think the exact product is necessary, but I use neutrogena rapidclear pads (orange container), and clearasil adult acne treatment overnight. (contains sulfur as active ingredient). Benzoyl peroxide I stay away from because it makes you really pale. (after all, it is used to bleach white rice).
9. Another thing I would do which I have since stopped (but really should do again): When you're in the shower, use the showerhead to wash your face. This is quick, you just put your face in front of it, move it around so the water hits all parts of your face, then pull out again. What this does (theoretically) is kills the bacteria with the heat. If nothing else, it makes zits come to a head quickly so you can pop them safely. This does make your face red for a few minutes, but its not really a problem.
10. For the 2 pimples I did get over the course of these 5 months, after the hot water treatment above, I would sterilize a needle, lance the whitehead, then use tissue to squeeze out the junk. Afterward, dab off the oil that comes out until it stops, and put some benzoyl peroxide on it to heal and sterilize.
11. Avoid iodine.

After doing this I was 100% clear from september to around january. I'm  breaking out a little in the forhead now, and this is what I've learned.

1. The products are pretty helpful, I suggest using them. (described above) When I stopped using them, I broke out again within 2 weeks. I started using them again, now its not as bad.
2. Again, don't touch your face. I've started to do so again because its so itchy, you must control yourself by developing a different habit. (pull your ear, or something. This works pretty well). I've started touching my face a little, and the effects are clear.
3. Weightlifting: I've started doing a lot of this (avoiding the squat, which is notorious for boosting hormones), and it doesn't seem to affect acne a lot, but combined with other things (bad diet, touching face) it can encourage break outs.
4. Refined carbs, not including sugars, don't seem to aggravate acne for me. Nonetheless, its good to avoid them for overall health.
5. Vitamins: A little doubtful, but I suggest taking a multivitamin daily. I've been doing it since august, and it seems to help a little. Just make sure there is no iodine in it.
6. Stress: I've been trying to figure out why the heck I've been breaking out a little (not a lot) again this last month, and I think part of the answer is stress. I've been stressing out over some lost relationships, self esteem, and ap tests, and this is probably one of the causes.
7. Green tea tastes good, but its benefits for acne seem a bit overrated. It's good for satisfying your appetite (weight loss), but doesn't seem to help me much.
8. You should get enough sleep for overall health, and to lower stress. But around november I was really happy, and had very little stress, so even without much sleep my skin did allright.

All of this  seems very strict and unrealistic.  I admit that I did have obsessive compulsive disorder over my acne, (for example, I would fear oil on my face so much that if I was even near somebody eating an in'n out burger, I would fear the oil from it spashing on me and would dab my face with a tissue multiple times to remove it). Yet it is the OCD that let me find all these things out. Now I don't have this particular contamination-phobia, but I wish I did because it forced me to follow all the things above. I highly suggest following this to the letter, it did me wonders. (and obviously, I'm not trying to sell anything). By far the most important advice I can give is not to scratch or touch your face. I did so on my back and suffered from cysts for many months. Also, (as this is a hair site),take good care of your hair. when you feel good about your hair, skin falls into second place and you don't stress as much. I recently got my long anime hair cut off and it stressed me out a bit, causing some break outs. Other advice for lowering stress:

martial arts
sports don't really work, unless you really really love them.
For me, going to church has always been soothing. I suggest this, though not everyone appreciates religion.
Above all, do stuff to help out other people. Giving people compliments, volunteer work, once you take your mind off yourself you will be truly happy, confident, and you will have better self esteem despite your faults. If you like cooking, cook stuff for your family. (that's my favorite). I think avoiding stress is really important for avoiding acne. But when you think about it, the effects of acne are psychological. If everyone had acne it wouldn't hurt those who have it so much.

Well looks like i got a little bit off topic. I hope this wasn't too long to read,  and hope that you guys benefit from this. It may not work for everyone, I'm not sure. but it definitely worked for me, and I have pictures which I suppose is the only evidence I can give. If you have anymore questions, feel free to send me a PM.
julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2007 at 2:11am
Welcome NewbieBig%20smile I'm sure others will find your post very informative and helpful.Although product wise,different things work for different people~but some great tips.Exspecially about not touching the face.

I have wondered about the sex thing myself...but here is a little devil's advocate for you. Do you suppose it is not the actual sex that makes you break out,but the hormones DRIVING you to want it in the first place? In which case it may be good to have a release and get rid of them?
It's very interesting theory.
Jessica81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jessica81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2007 at 10:27pm
I really don't understand the sex thing.  Maybe just for guys?
dacrow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dacrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2007 at 8:18pm
err come to think of it, probably. This is because hormones are effected differently for guys obviously. I'm not too sure.
julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2007 at 8:53pm
I think women with a high sex drive often have extra testosterone and are more prone to acne. For women, birth control pills is effective at regulating the hormones.
Not sure there is much guys can do about it though...except,release it???
dacrow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dacrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2007 at 11:30pm
lol well i should say that guys need to limit themselves
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic