Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Frontal hairloss, stress, menopause

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tumbleweed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tumbleweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Frontal hairloss, stress, menopause
    Posted: May 06 2007 at 12:22pm
I have lost aproximately 1/2 inch of hair from the front  hairline.  I know because I  now have a 1/2 inch white strip of skin where the hair used to be. Also my hair is very thin on top, to the point that you can see my scalp. The points of hair at the temple, on the left side it is virtually gone, on the right side, about 60% of the hair is gone.  This all happened in about 4-5 months time.  About the time, I figured out it was thinning, it was only a matter of weeks till it was in the present state.

I am 54, not sure if I am in menopause or through with it. I haven't had periods for 2 years, however no hot flashes (thank goodness).  I was taking Prempro, but since I had no hot flashes, I just stopped taking it about 18 months ago.

I teach high school, and this year has been extraordinarily stressful.  Thank goodness, only 14 more days with this group of children to finish out the school year.

I have had my thyroid tested recently.  As always it comes back at 4.2.  The normal range is 4-7 or 4-8.  So I am always on the low end.  If it was below 4.0, the doctor would give me thyroid replacement medication.

I decided to go to an endocronologist.  She said it was just female pattern baldness.  She wanted to test me for diabetes.  I tested, and am not diabetic.  The doctor seemed to think that I am insulin resistant, but did not give me any medication.

I went to the dermatologist, he seemed to think it was male pattern baldness as well.  However, he did give me steroid shots (not in the scalp), just regular shots.  I had a series of 3 or 4 about a month apart.  I was also having an outbreak of numular eczema on my forearms at the time.  I think my skin is better.  But my hair is no different. He also told me to use Rogaine, the men's strength.  The best thing I can say is that my hair is not falling out like it was.  I have not seen any regrowth.  The dermatologist says it takes 4 months to see results with Rogaine if it is going to work at all.  Also, about the men's Rogaine, I can use this only because I am menopausal, younger women should stick with the women's strength.   I am by no means endorsing the product as I haven't seen any regrowth, but I am going to stick it out to the 4 month mark anyway.

About the male pattern baldness, both grandfathers were bald.  My father was not bald, my mother has always had thin hair on top.  I kind of expected to have thin hair when I was older.  But this is bordering on baldness at the front hair line. My mother is 82 and now my hair is thinner than hers.

So my hope is that this extreme and rapid hair loss is the result of STRESSAngry.  I am working on relieving the stress.  I have been taking hair vitamins and stress vitamins/supplements.  If anyone has a similar experience or any advice, I would be extremely grateful.

Regards,
Tumbleweed
kooky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kooky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2008 at 12:38pm
I have heard that women taking Rogaine can grow facial and chest hair as the Rogaine stimulates hiar growth.  It doesn't just stimulate hair growth on the head.  Also, when putting on at night as prescribed, some can rub off on pillow and get on face while sleeping.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic