Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help need a good shampoo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
juliap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juliap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help need a good shampoo
    Posted: May 08 2007 at 12:40pm
Well I have been trying to grow my hair longer but recently it had a lot of split ends so I went and had it trimmed.  My hair is 21" long I am not sure what it was before I trimmed it.  It felt real dry on the ends and had bad splits now they are mostly gone.  I want to keep it healthy this time so what shampoo would you recommend that does not cause splits? 

I have well water so I was using clarifying shampoo which I think dried my hair out.  I read that clarifying shampoo takes the mineral buildup off your hair that well water causes.  It made my hair full of body and shinier but I think I used it too often cause it dried out my hair and I think caused the bad splits. 
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2007 at 8:50pm
I don't think shampoo alone causes split ends.  But if it causes the hair to be more tangle-prone, then it can indirectly lead to more split ends, depending on how the tangles are resolved.

I dilute my plain (not clarifying) shampoo (10:1) and lather-rinse-repeat to be sure the scalp is clean.  Florida has hard tap water, so I always use a diluted vinegar rinse after rinsing out the conditioner.  Since you're asking for shampoo rec's, you may want to try Phytojoba shampoo (contains jojoba oil); it's very rich and leaves hair nicely moisturized.

stargazer026 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stargazer026 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2007 at 2:01am
I read that washing your hair too much can cause shampoo to strip your hair so its better to wash your hair every few days and on the , days ur not washing it apply leave-in conditioners and use a conditioning treatment once or twice a week depending how damaged your hair is and also if your hair is curly not to use shampoo at all because curly hair tends to be more drier than straight hair so just use a conditioner to wash it, as conditioners are cleansers too
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2007 at 7:07am
I agree with Dave.  I have well water too, but clarifying shampoo is way too harsh to use all the time, (using it once every 2 weeks to once every two months is plenty).  But using the vinegar water as a final rinse after every wash does WONDERS at removing hard water minerals and leaving hair soft.

So, I don't think it matters too much which shampoo you use (as long as its not as harsh as a clarifyer).  And whatever you choose, it will help greatly to reduce its harshness if you dilute it.
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic