Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair Color advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Konagirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Konagirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair Color advice
    Posted: May 21 2007 at 5:30pm
Big%20smileTongue My hair color is black and I also have about 30 % gray. I wnated to change my hair color to medium golden brown. I bought some Redken color hair fuison hair dye and thought I was going to achieve the color I wanted or at least close to it. I liked everything about the haircolor except, the red tones. Is there anyway of eliminating or toning down the red tone?
I would appreciate any feedback.
Aloha
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2007 at 7:12am
Using a brown dye with a green base is what counters reds.  If its dark dye like browns, usually anything called "ash" will have a green base (not so for blondes).   Be sure to test strand though.  I am not a pro and I am not gray yet, so I don't have experience with this hair type and I can't tell you what to do there.  Just test everything before you do your whole head to make sure you don't do anything you won't like (test both some of the gray hair and some of the formerly black hair as they will react differently). 

You may need to use one shade lighter (of brown).  Since you've already dyed it once your hair will be more porous and absorb more of the darker color, you don't want it coming out almost black again since that's what you were trying to change.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
irishroyal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishroyal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2007 at 6:57pm
 Going from a very dark level to a medium golden brown with Redken's Color Fushion, you should have used the 4Ag + 30vol.
What did you end up using?

- Mags Kavanaugh http://www.askmags.com
Educational Website for Licensed Cosmetologists

Edited by irishroyal - May 22 2007 at 6:58pm
Konagirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Konagirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2007 at 2:28pm
Big%20smileI used 5Gb w/ 20 volume. I will definitely try  your recommendation. Thank you
Aloha
irishroyal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishroyal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2007 at 3:57am
 When you apply the 4Ab + 20vol, yes I'm dropping the volume down, as that lower volume will help not to bring out more red underlying pigment, you will not be pulling this thru the mid shaft & ends, because you have already color that part, so do this, after you apply the Color Fushion formula to the new growth area, then mix up some ShadesEQ in 06Gn- moss and apply that over the mid shaft & ends, as the new growth is processing, this will tone down the red on that part of the hair, now I notice you when and used a light brown 5Gb, did you like that level?
 If so you can mix equal parts of the Color Fushion 4Ab + 6Ab to get a level 5Ab which will match the lighter light brown you chose versus the medium golden brown you asked for. The 4Ab will bring out much less red, let's start there and if you need to go a litt;e lighter I can help you with that. - Mags Kavanaugh    http://www.askmags.com
Educational Website for Cosmetologists
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic