Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

summer+hair=frizz

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SugarCube View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SugarCube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: summer+hair=frizz
    Posted: May 25 2007 at 3:35pm
my hair is being so mean to me!!! it hasn't grown its usual 1.5 inch this past couple months and has splits. im about to go get a 1/2 inch trim which i'm dreading alot!!!!!!!!!! I guess cus i wear it down practically eery day that this(plus the fact that i condition everyday) is wreaking havoc on my hair. and to top it all off my family keeps nagging me to "do something with that puffy mess"Angry. its so insulting, all they want is for me to flat iron it everyday ond wear it in a "respectable bun"Censored (sarcasm) i really want waist length hair but my sisters always like long hair is ugly, why do you want it u should cut your hair blah blah blahCensored please give me some summer tips because i'm having a pool party soon and don't want to look a mess
hairbraider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2007 at 7:51pm
The way naturallycurly.com explained it:
Hair is like a sponge - it soaks up the moisture around it.  When curly hairs absorb water, they get curlier and thus they stand up and frizz out and all that wonderful stuff.  If the sponge is already wet, putting it in water won't change anything.  If you saturate the hair with moisture yourself (conditioners, oils, etc.), the dampness in the air won't affect it as much. 

So far, this principle has worked for me.  The more I condition my hair, the less frizz I see.  Try some new up-do's besides a "respectable bun".  Something fun and peppy.

p.s.  I wouldn't worry about my hair at a pool party.  Curly hair looks hot wet. Wink
sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
click here to go to My Hair Space
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2007 at 4:30pm
     I know it's frustrating, SC, b/c now that she's older, my wife gets tons of frizzies in the warmer weather too. BUT, even with the stragglers, I'll take her (or your) haloed long locks over neat, shorter coifs every trip of the train. Good luck! Bob Big%20smile
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2007 at 12:27pm
Hi SugarCube,

Sorry to hear your sister and family are giving you a hard time about your hair.

The next time your sister starts criticizing it, tell her that your hair is off-limits for discussion, and that if you want her opinion you'll ask, otherwise tell her to keep her opinions to herself.

As for the puffy / frizzy, do you ever apply oil?  (My personal fave is jojoba, but others report great success with other oils, including almond, olive, etc.)  Let us know if you don't, or don't know how.   It really helps, and will help for the pool party.

SugarCube View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SugarCube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2007 at 1:39pm

thanks for da messages guys!!! I put some oil and gel but i gues the gel is whats killing my hair. after my party I'm getting my hair braided so it will be out of the way for a while lol thanks I'll def. keep this in mind

Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2007 at 2:04pm
I 'm with Dave, I love jojoba oil. I put it in my last conditioner and use it right along with it. I can only use it once mabye twice  a week or it looks like I used a ton of moose, even with rinsing it out.
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
SugarCube View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SugarCube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2007 at 6:15pm
i look for sum though i usually use carrot tea tree oil
JB521 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JB521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2007 at 6:58am
The best product I have come across is Kerastase Oleo Relax ant-frizz serum. 2 pumps before blowdrying (or can be left on to dry naturally). This stuff is awesome with NO silicones at all and no build-up. Downside is that it is very expensive........but it does what it says it'll do!
Shanarana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shanarana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2007 at 8:17am
Using hair smoothing creams has worked great for me, it's just a matter of finding the one that works best for you.  Summer hair can be a trial, but the hair can be tamed and you can look great no matter what the weather.  Wink
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2007 at 12:17pm
It has been close to 100 for the past several days, and It is supposed to stay this way for a while. Spending time at the beach with my kids has already taken a toll on my hair.What I have been doing to combat the drieness, plain, good ol' jojoba oil. I have been overnight oiling about 3-4 nights a week, and on days when we stay home, I oil up and put it in braids for the day. This has helped tremendously!

I have this stuff from Redken, called daily sun milk. It is supposed to help with drieness, and has a spf 12. I don't like the way it makes my hair feel, like I put moose in it, but I am going to give it an honst try.I it will save my hair when I am out on the boat, I am not going to complain about how it makes it feel while it is on.
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
Shanarana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shanarana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2007 at 1:47pm
Maybe wearing a hat, or a bandana when your in the sun would help.  I wear something over my hair all the time when I am out sunning.
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2007 at 2:37pm
That is a very good ideacheer! I have actually been on the look out for a hat that is big enough to fit my noggin. I have a pretty good sized head, and then pretty thick hair, so the combo.... pretty big.
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
hairbraider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2007 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by Alisa06 Alisa06 wrote:

I have a pretty good sized head, and then pretty thick hair, so the combo.... pretty big.

lol... you and me both!  I like bandanas.  On particularly hot days, I wet the bandana before tying it on.
sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
click here to go to My Hair Space
Wendyon blast View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wendyon blast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2007 at 8:33pm
I agree with Charl.  Simply Stylin' is the best thing I've come across in controlling frizz.  Hard to find in stores, though.
babycheeks24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babycheeks24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2007 at 1:50pm
Where can you get that online, i want to read on it see the ingredients.
Babycheeks
babycheeks24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babycheeks24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2007 at 1:54pm
found it pure silicones heck ill pass works or not!! ill stick to my homemade frizz control serum.
Babycheeks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic