Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Peroxide Method For Detangling Knots?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Peroxide Method For Detangling Knots?
    Posted: May 30 2007 at 3:02pm

So I was just talking on the phone with my good buddy Robert Hallowell who works out in tinseltown on a lot of movies and TV sets and he does lots and lots of lace front wigs...both synth and HH.

He was telling he that he constantly deals with knots and product build-up.  I asked him if he did the peroxide dip that is popular with many LF wig owners and he said never, ever.

Then he proceeded to tell me exactly what he does to detangle, wash and remove product buildup from LF wigs.

1.  He uses his fingers to gently remove as many of the visible tangles as possible.
2.  He affixes the wig directly to the block or wig form.  He makes sure all the wig hair is facing the proper natural direction.
3.  He backs the wig on the form back up to a sink and then gets it wet under the faucet like he would be washing a person's hair.  That way...as he explained..the hair stays all in the natural direction and it helps to keep tangles at bay.
4.  He uses lukewarm NEVER hot water.  He said that when you use hot water it will actually release or loosen any "baked in" texture and then you have to rebake the texture back in.  He said for him the key is the water temp and it should never be anything but lukewarm.

He also told me that when it is too hot, sometimes the hair will appear to pill up.

5.  He will fill the basin and then add a little shampoo and suds it around.  He said the more product he has used on the LF unit, the stronger the shampoo composition.

6.  He uses his fingers to distribute the sudsy mix through the hair down to the nape.

7.  After he is finished he will rinse, rinse and rinse to make sure all the shampoo is out.

8.  He uses "lots and lots of conditioner" especially on blonde and red haired wigs.  This is because he feels those colors need extra oomph to bring up shimmer and shine.  And because they don't naturally reflect light and can be dull.  Especially with product build-up caked on top.

He said he uses lots and lots of products on the LFs for TV (he was the head hairdresser on 2 1/2 Men, Commander In Chief & Dirt).

He also said that the conditioner when glooped on helps to detangle and remove any knots which he says is a constant challenge.

Depending on whether it is synth or HH he will either air dry the wig or use a hot blow dryer and hot tools.

He told me he had never heard of using peroxide to detangle and prep a LF wig.

Can anyone tell me the advantages to use Peroxide?

nursie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nursie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2007 at 1:38am
i've never ever heard of a 'peroxide method'
i have read about the 'bleach bath' though, maybe that is what they meant?:

http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=33221
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2007 at 6:00am
Originally posted by nursie nursie wrote:

Ahhhh...yes. Bleach bath, not peroxide method.

Thanks for the link.  I am going to send Robert the link and see if this is what he meant.  He did mention Clorox bleach though. So I think he and I were talking about the same thing but just using slightly different words.

Based on what he told me, I don't think he uses the method in the link above.

Has anyone here used this method? 

Thanks,
Karen

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2007 at 6:24am
Originally posted by nursie nursie wrote:

Hi again,

I was reading the instructions and about gagged.  For some reason I can not stand the smell of bleach.  I would probably have to sedate myself to get through this method but it sounds like it would work well.  Maybe a face mask for me.  :-)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic