Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair loss or just normal pattern

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silvermoonlight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silvermoonlight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair loss or just normal pattern
    Posted: June 08 2007 at 12:11pm
Hi im a 17 year old asian boy.Recently my hair has been dropping more than what it used to.My hair is now dry and brittle.Problem is it dropping from the scalp or due to breakages.Might it be also be due to my diet change?I lost around 13kg in 3-4 months.I find that if i scrub harder while shampooing i get more hair in the lather...around 5-7 strands.
BunnyWabbit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BunnyWabbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2007 at 8:38pm
Diet change can cause problems with hair especially when you drop weight very quickly. However 5-7 strands in the shower really isn't a large amount. During the day the scalp sheds an average of over 100 hairs, most of the time, particuarlly when your hair is shorter, you don't notice this shed. Scrubbing harder is likily causing what you are seeing as an increase in shower shed. If your hair were falling from normal activities - for instace you find it on your pillow in the morning, its sticking between your fingers when your run them through it, gentle activities eseentially, that would be cause for concern. It sounds like your body is just recovering from your weight loss and you are being harsher on your hair while shampooing. Try adding a conditioner to your shower routine to see if that helps. Also are you dying your hair any? That can cause both breakage and dryness particuarlly with hair is is very dark because it takes stronger chemicals to change its color. 
Silvermoonlight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silvermoonlight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2007 at 2:02am
Yes my hair has be highlighted, dyed and bleached multiple times.And when people say that the length of your hair cause cause falling off due to its own weight,what length of hair would that be applicable to?I'm currently sporting hair that is around 5 inches in length at the back,would cutting it lessen the problem?I do find hairs in my pillow in the morning...sometimes around 4-5 strands but sometimes none.I once had a bout of hair fall but it recovered after a while.
BunnyWabbit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BunnyWabbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2007 at 3:36pm
hair fall isn't CAUSED by longer hair - rather it is more noticeable.
It sounds like your problem is primarily dye and bleach causing damage, dryness, and brittleness - diet change might be causing a slightly elevated fall. Try adding a multivitamin daily, and take better care conditioning your hair regulally, it dosent need to be shampooed daily either. That should help get your folices stronger (the vitamins) and help with the breakage (the conditioning).  Your loss sounds fairly minimal and like you should be able to take measures to help solve it yourself, but if you feel very concerned you can also go to a dermatologist.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic