Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Heavier Hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Acornhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acornhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heavier Hair
    Posted: June 30 2007 at 12:38am
I don't know if this makes sense, maybe I'm imagining things, but, before I got my curls slightly relaxed temporarily, it seemed like my hair was heavier. I always hear stuff about people saying "this conditioner won't weight your hair down", but what if you want it heavier? Does that make sense? Does anyone know how to make your hair not so light? Like, hair that is big, and long, but dosen't really blow around in the wind, and sort of stays in place and is heavy? My hair can get like that, but then I wash it and it turns out all lightweight. I just don't understand hair. Anyways. Help?
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2007 at 7:32am
Silicone buildup will weigh your hair down.  One reason your hair may feel lighter now is because chemicals like straighteners (or even dyes) strip the buildup off of the hair (that's my guess anyway, dyeing my hair always removed mine).  If you want your hair heavier, use a conditioner with a lot of things in the ingredients that end in "cone" or "one", these are the silicones.  The higher up they are on the list, the more of them there are in there.

Be aware that not only will they make your hair heavy (and maybe limp) after awhile, they will also make it look dull.  If it gets to the point you don't like the buildup anymore - clarify it off with any shampoo that calls itself "clarifying".  You will probably want to clarify once every 2 months anyway, because the buildup can make your hair break off over time, so clarifying every 2 months will keep that from happening.
Good luck.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic