Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Got this far, how do I style it now?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Devileyezz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devileyezz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Got this far, how do I style it now?
    Posted: July 07 2007 at 2:40pm
Hello,

I committed to growing my hair long about 6 months ago. And so far it has grown to what it is now. I still wanna keep going so I can get the front hair to be able to go all the way to the back and below.

Anyway, since I'm in this mid stage, I don't know howto style it or what to do to make it look good.

Almost everyday I use a straightening iron, and then, grab the hair that falls on my face, and then pull it up, and use Ice Spiker to glue it together.. so it stands up, and then use Got2b sticky spray to keep it up. And then, I leave the sides as it is. Looks good, get a lot of attention too, lol. (I'll put up a pic when I take one.)

Now, the thing is, I've done this same style for more than a month, and now the front has grown quite long, lol. If I do the same style, my hair stands WAY up there! And it's getting cumbersome to maintain it, and who knows, I might not even be looking as good.

I even tried doing the slick comb back, and it looked good, except I don't wanna do it often.

So what do you guys think?
Some suggestion as to what can be done?

(I don't wanna leave it hanging like this though.)

Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2007 at 2:50pm

First of all, all those products will not be good for your hair in the long run.The most likely are full of silicones, which will build up and cause your hair to brake off. To prevent this you need to clarify once in a while.Also, the straight iron will kill your hair. Sorry, but it is the truth.  Especially over silicones.

Do you wear hats often? mabye brushing it back under a hat? Or using a bandana? I don't know, my husband wants to grow his hair out, but this exact dilema ia why he has not.Just keep tewling yourself that eventually, it will all be one length,and this will not be a problem any more. 
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devileyezz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2007 at 4:33pm
I know these products might kill the hair, but this is my only way out so far to keep myself from looking not so good while it grows out.

I hate caps. I wear them sometimes, maybe once a week when I'm lazy. :(

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devileyezz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2007 at 10:35am
Three years ago, or so. I used to come to this forum a lot. And people used to help.

Right now, this thread has 38+ views, and still no real help?

digitaldiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digitaldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2007 at 11:32am
Hmmm.... Maybe you can try asking questions in the men's forum or checking out the men's gallery. The gallery photos will give you more ideas of hair styles. I really like your hair style.

Do you visit a stylist often? They would also be able to give you tips.
AS OF 5/25/2007
4A
10 1/2' in the top
10 on the sides
3 1/2 in the back

GOAL
BSL
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2007 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by Devileyezz Devileyezz wrote:

Three years ago, or so. I used to come to this forum a lot. And people used to help.

Do not demean Alisa's thoughtful reply.  Sometimes people get busy and can't participate as much as they might like.  Maybe the other people who viewed this thread might have wanted to help you, but didn't know how to answer your inquiry.  And you give what you get -- you've not been here in three years, and you expect a rapid multitude of replies?

Anyway... I too was once where you are.  I began center-parting it and that (obviously) helped a lot to keep the hair out of my eyes.  When the bangs were long enough I would sometimes tuck the strands behind my ears.  I was otherwise content to just let it be.  I started ponytailing it a lot when it got to be a few inches below shoulder-length.

Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2007 at 10:45am
Thank you for coming to my defense,Dave.
I am sorry I have not answered any more. For some reason,I am not getting email notices when someone replies to a post .

I guess using products to achieve your goals will help for the time being,will not hurt . I would just remember to use a clarifying shampoo every couple of months to get the build up off.

Edited by Alisa06 - July 11 2007 at 10:54am
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devileyezz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2007 at 6:59am
Originally posted by DaveDecker DaveDecker wrote:

Originally posted by Devileyezz Devileyezz wrote:

Do not demean Alisa's thoughtful reply.  Sometimes people get busy and can't participate as much as they might like.  Maybe the other people who viewed this thread might have wanted to help you, but didn't know how to answer your inquiry.  And you give what you get -- you've not been here in three years, and you expect a rapid multitude of replies?

Anyway... I too was once where you are.  I began center-parting it and that (obviously) helped a lot to keep the hair out of my eyes.  When the bangs were long enough I would sometimes tuck the strands behind my ears.  I was otherwise content to just let it be.  I started ponytailing it a lot when it got to be a few inches below shoulder-length.

Dave, please give my posts another quick read. I was not demeaning Alisa's post. Infact, I agreed with her, but said that I can't do it for the aforementioned reasons.

The next post was out of frustration after three days. Don't you think three days is a lot?
Back in the day, it didn't take THAT long. Anyway, my frustration with my hair got that out. And I apologize.

And I just discovered a couple days ago that I have split-ends too. :(
Man, getting long hair is not without its problems!

Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2007 at 8:44am
Split ends are not fun, that for sure. The heat from the straight iron is most likely what is causing them. Is there any way you could use it less often?
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
babycheeks24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babycheeks24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2007 at 7:08pm
I would suggest doing a small trim just to help with your split ends to keep the growth going on well. If you must use products have you considered goign organic they make pretty much everything in organic. Look into that and see if its a better route for you to help protect your hair from the damage of the harsher lines.
Babycheeks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devileyezz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2007 at 11:54pm
Alisa, I could try.. but I hate how my hair sticks out from the back of my ear that way.

Babycheeks, that's what I think I'm gonna do. I'm really hating this split-ends stuff, because it doesn't even let me straighten it properly. But yeah, growing is essential.. getting 'em totally cut off wouldn't make sense. I'll try what you said, organic products and a little trim.
gypsydoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gypsydoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2007 at 10:57pm
Wow, I never stopped to think about the dilemas guys go thru when growing hair long.  I always just braided my bangs into the rest while they were growing out.  Besides a hat or bandana, I wouldn't know what to do.
Why are you straitening it?  Do you have alot of wave or curl?  Sometimes curly hair is easier to leave alone when in that funky stage.  My hubby used to comb his hair straint when short.  But now that its longer he lets the curls stay and it looks pretty good.
Jen, (1a/f/ii)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devileyezz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2007 at 9:46am
Originally posted by gypsydoll gypsydoll wrote:

Wow, I never stopped to think about the dilemas guys go thru when growing hair long.  I always just braided my bangs into the rest while they were growing out.  Besides a hat or bandana, I wouldn't know what to do.
Why are you straitening it?  Do you have alot of wave or curl?  Sometimes curly hair is easier to leave alone when in that funky stage.  My hubby used to comb his hair straint when short.  But now that its longer he lets the curls stay and it looks pretty good.

Yes, you're right. My hair is really wavy, and unfortunately, it doesn't look good at all. I look like a cabbie on crack. :(
Bandana could be an answer, and so can a hat. But I hold a slightly executive position at work, so I need to look my best. :(

Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2007 at 3:21pm
I have heard the aloe vera gel works pretty well for styling. I don't use any products in my hair, because I dont't like the way it feels, but I am thinking about trieing it.
Personally, I like wavy hair on guys. Mabye its not as bad a you think,though, I know it can be frustrating during the grow out stage.

I wonder... this may sound strange, but what would you think of bobby pins? You can get some the same color as your hair. Then try to pin them in to help hold your hair without being to noticeable. Mabye it will work, mabye it woun't, but I think it would be worth a try.
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devileyezz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2007 at 9:46am
Alisa, bobby pins sounds amazing!
I'm going to try it out today once my gf gets back from work.

I'm also getting coconut oil to use in my hair. I used to use it back in the day, my hair was nice and thick and looked healthy and shiny all the time.

Haven't used it in almost 6 yrs now. Let's see how it'll fare.
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2007 at 11:08am
I am glad you like the thought. I am sorry I did not think of it before, It just hit me while I was typing the rest of my post.
 You may have to play with them a bit to get the look you want, but I think that with products, and the pins, you should get your hair to behave.
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2007 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by gypsydoll gypsydoll wrote:

It really did suck!  Just growing it long was enough of a divergence from the norm.  Lucky for me I was content to let it flop around until well after it got long enough to pull back into a ponytail.

SugarCube View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SugarCube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2007 at 3:30pm
wow man i totally agree with  gpsydoll. i have a lot of respect for guys that grow their hair long. jus to do your own thing instead of what everyone else wants u 2 do is real kewl. as for the waves vs. straight issue. i personall think that wavey unruly hair on a guy is hot but if your heart is set on straight then when its wet you cud put a mixture of straightenig creme ( sunsilk's is awesome!) mixed with gell for hold and pull it into a tight pony to keep the roots straight while drying. when dry if you have any crimps from the elastic it'll be much easier to straighten it hth

Edited by SugarCube - July 28 2007 at 3:30pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic