Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Coloring Long...Thick Hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JB521 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JB521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coloring Long...Thick Hair
    Posted: July 08 2007 at 9:20am

Hi All-

Do any of you color your hair, and if so....do you do it at home or salon?

I don't have to really worry about it right now as I'm nowhere near my goal, but I do color (and do it myself at home). I can't imagine trying to do it myself once I get to my destination though. My hair is thick and has waves/curl.

Hairbraider.......Alisa.......(anyone).....any input?

Thanks..

Shanarana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shanarana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2007 at 10:11am
I color my own hair, and only do the roots, and if I need to refresh the rest I'll mixed it all at the last five min. before rinsing, but usually I don't need to refresh the rest because I use a good color match.

I'm sure others would recommend using a salon, but for me and the grays that come out after a couple of months is easy for me to maintain.
24" of hair as of 7/7/07 Goal: 33"
JB521 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JB521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2007 at 12:42pm
Thanks Shanarana :)
I read in one of your other posts that you've been growing your hair for 4 years.....right? How short was your hair when you first decided to grow it out? Also, do you have a perm or is that your natural curl? 

Thanks for the reply!

Shanarana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shanarana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2007 at 2:24pm
It's more of a natural wave/curl...I use products to get it real curly...when I started growing it out it was about to the bottom of my chin.
24" of hair as of 7/7/07 Goal: 33"
Lickalime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lickalime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2007 at 5:28pm
I color at a salon.  I've tried at home but I have too much hair

I've been growing my hair for nine years!  either my hair grows really really slow or I just tortured my hair and am really lucky that I still have a healthy head of hair to play with
when I stared growing my hair it was a bob just below my ear lobes.  now I am almost to my waist
I think a lot of the slow growth has to do with me going every four weeks to get trims and having lots and lots of layers
I am at 32"
~goal length 36"
JB521 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JB521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2007 at 6:09pm
Hi there...

Wow....9 years is a long time! I just started growing mine out....I have a chin length bob....but worse is that my hair is thick and tends to grow "outwards" before it weighs itself down. I'm looking like a puff-ball right now....lol

So is your hair all one length now?  I was trying to go for shape up/trims every 8-10 weeks but had a disaster a little over a month ago where she hacked me and undid my progress. I decided I'm not going in any more. I was way upset, I can't have it happen again!
Lickalime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lickalime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2007 at 6:17pm
no my hair isn't all one length.  I'm getting there.  I have been a fan of layers for a long time.  aside from the bob cut, I've had the same style
(haircut) since I was 18.  long, layers and side swept sometimes short bangs.  I'm working on the one length no bangs look

here is a pic of my hair from the back  0708071747a.jpg
I am at 32"
~goal length 36"
Kitty Kat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kitty Kat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2007 at 7:27pm
I color my roots. I do, sometimes, have it done professionally because I know I miss areas in the back. For the amount of money they charge to do it at the salon, I can't tell any difference at all. Matter of fact, it seems the at-home color lasts longer!

I've colored my hair for years and thankfully, it still seems to be in great condition. I use a color to match my own and never use heat to style. It is BSL and very, very thick. I've always been really gentle with my hair and have yet to find a split end.
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2007 at 11:09pm
Well..... I have very thick, naturally wavy almost curly hair. I have ringlets underneath, but the top goes almost straight in places. I have been growing it out since I was in high school, and am now 30 . I had a mis hap where my waist length hair was cut by a way-ward stylist, but I dont want to dwell in the past any longer.
Personally, I don't color my hair.I used to, until about 5 years ago. And even then it was always a match to my natural color, so as to not strip it any. I have only had it done at a salon one time, and I was not very happy with the results. I liked it better when I did it my self.
The last time I colored my hair, it took 5 boxes. I split it into ponytials, and pined up the side i was not using at the moment. Starting at the roots, I just went to town saturating everything. 

I have decided not to olor any more because you hardly see any one with there natural color any more. beside, I like to gray that is coming in, I have more than earned them. Not to mention that they are coming in only right above my right eye. I don't have alot yet, but my husband says I am going to look like Rouge from the x-men.LOL
I know this might sound strange, but my thoughts are, " I don't trust anyone with my hair". In the past 10 years, I have had it butched by every stylist I have trusted. And when it came to color, I had to do it myself a few days later anyway, because I did not like the results. 
When you are gowing your hair out, you need to treat it like a precious comodity. It is not something to take for granted.This is something I have had to learn the hard way.

Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2007 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by Lickalime Lickalime wrote:

no my hair isn't all one length.  I'm getting there.  I have been a fan of layers for a long time.  aside from the bob cut, I've had the same style
(haircut) since I was 18.  long, layers and side swept sometimes short bangs.  I'm working on the one length no bangs look

here is a pic of my hair from the back  0708071747a.jpg

Hi Lickalime,

Your link doesn't work... Smile
Lickalime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lickalime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2007 at 8:40am
really?  son of a grrrr.....I knew it was too good to be true.  I'll work on it.  I finally found my camera and now I need to find my cord and hopefully I'll have pics up soon ~ after my semester ends
I am at 32"
~goal length 36"
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2007 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by Lickalime Lickalime wrote:

really?  son of a grrrr.....I knew it was too good to be true.  I'll work on it.  I finally found my camera and now I need to find my cord and hopefully I'll have pics up soon ~ after my semester ends

Cool. Cool  Found that camera cord yet? Wink  [and how soon until the end of the semester? Tongue ]
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic