Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How often?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Shanarana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shanarana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How often?
    Posted: July 09 2007 at 6:36am
How often does anyone think is it good to get trims on your hair?

I never really did any unless I really needed to, but from reading these forums it seems that that is needed to maintain good healthy hair?

Thoughts?
24" of hair as of 7/7/07 Goal: 33"
PurpleBubba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2007 at 11:49am
For people who are trying to maintain a shorter style the frequent trims such as 6-8 weeks are for them.

For people who are growing longer, some trim often some trim once or twice a year, some trim once every few years, and some no trims at all.

Trimming is a personal decision. If the condition or appearance of your hair is bothering you then a trim may help. Trims do not have to be big trims.

In the meantime many with longer hair also do "Search and Destroy" or S&D where they go through their strand and look at the whole lengths to see if there are splits and not just near the ends.

If you use more damaging things such as hot tools or chemicals (perms, colors) you may need either larger trims or more often. But it depends on the individual and their hairs condition and appearance at any given time.

digitaldiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digitaldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2007 at 11:57am
Right on Purp! I have a perm and need to get my ends trimmed about every 8 to 12 weeks. But I hate having it done. The last time I had it done she cut off about 3 inches. My hair has always been healthy so damage was not the issue. So, at the moment I'm trying to find a way to trim my ends. Search and destroy may not work since I have a bob. Any thoughts?
AS OF 5/25/2007
4A
10 1/2' in the top
10 on the sides
3 1/2 in the back

GOAL
BSL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2007 at 12:08pm
Bobs are tricky because if you have one that is cut a certain way to make it curve in or out and you trim it you may cut the shape out of it. But if you have a bob where that won't matter the sides are easy to get at but the back may need either someone else's hands or a mirror system.
The trick is to go slow and don't take the exact amount off for your first try. So I'd say let it grow a bit so you have some slack to practise on.

The trick to haircutting is establishing a guide and following it. So if you can reach the back that is where you start. Center back, work your way to one side, then back to the center back and work your way the other direction. Then when you get both sides done you bring the two sections close to your chin together and see if the ends match. Then the two sections behind those.

I'm not one to tell people not to cut their own hair. Just be careful and if you have some slack left and you didn't get it right you can then go get it fixed without going shorter than you intended.

and you can S&D the sides and whatever you can reach. You might want to put your hair in sections and then go through the sections themselves.
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2007 at 3:26pm
     On straight hair, one can probably wait 6-12 months before trimming slightly. Wavy of curly locks can go MUCH longer, IMO, b/c the ends blend. My experience with my DW is that using combs exclusively assures that splits will be few. If one combs with the grain, that is! Blessings, Bob Big%20smile  
digitaldiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digitaldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2007 at 3:36pm
Is it true that your split ends will continue to split up the hair shaft if you do not trim them?
AS OF 5/25/2007
4A
10 1/2' in the top
10 on the sides
3 1/2 in the back

GOAL
BSL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2007 at 1:09am
Splits do travel but it is probably unlikely that it would travel all the way up unless it were on shorter hair.

Keep in mind that when advice is given in magazines or by stylists it's given probably with the assumption that you are a daily blow dryer and that you're going to heat style and you might be a colorer or bleacher.

If you are not doing those things your chances of splits are much less. You still have to be careful of tangles and hair rubbing on things like your shirt or chairs but it's not going to be like the abuse that can come from those other things.

The answer is to get to know your own hair and see if it is splitting or how it reacts to your routine and care.
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2007 at 8:51am
PurpleBubba, you are right on. I couldn't have siad it any better!Clap

I personally do S&D sbout evey couple of months.I don not use any thing on my hair as far as products, heat, or chemicals, but it is very dry in the summer, and very cold in the winter. I do have one section on the under side in the back that gets splits mor often. The only thing I can come up with, is friction, from rubbing on my clothes.
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2007 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by Shanarana Shanarana wrote:

How often does anyone think is it good to get trims on your hair?

I never really did any unless I really needed to, but from reading these forums it seems that that is needed to maintain good healthy hair?

Thoughts?

I suppose it depends on your definition of "good."  What do you want to achieve from the process?  A thicker or neater hair "hemline?"  Fewer split-ends?  A tiny bit less length?  If so, "good" could apply.  But there are no hard and fast rules about what interval between trims is "appropriate."  It depends on the value you place on any of the above.
hairbraider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2007 at 11:19pm
Well stated Dave.  In view of that, I am aiming for a thicker hemline and fewer splits.  I've also gotten to know my hair as PurpleBubba suggested, and have finally found what works best to achieve this goal.  I microtrim (1/4 inch or less) every 2-3 months with an occasional 1-2 inch trim thrown in when needed (no more than a couple times a year).  It's definitely an individual decision.
sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
click here to go to My Hair Space
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic