Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

gray hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
WhataHoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhataHoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: gray hair
    Posted: July 09 2007 at 10:52pm
Star where do I start, I have been going to salon and the beautician has been using Shades EQ, demi, with some highlights on my very gray hair, well I do have a few pepper strands but very few: The problem is my hair color fades very fast, I'm not sure what the color is anymore, sort of a faded med. blond:  I'm going to beauty shop this Friday and don't know what to say I want in the way of color or to color at all and just get my hair buzzed and just let the gray come on:  I am med. complexion, hazel eyes with a lot of pink undertones in my skin: I'm wanting to go to some shade of a soft brown with a few subtle highlights but I'm afraid my gray roots will show so quickly that I won't be able to keep up with the roots: I am 60 and kept my gray for many years but it made me look so washed out, so what to dooooooooooooo?  My hair is short and in great shape, well a little on the dry side due to this dang hard water:  All suggestions will be greatly appreciated:

Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2007 at 12:28pm
First, I'm not a pro, but from what I've heard coloring gray can be a bit difficult.  I have heard it needs to be softened first with a fairly strong concentration of hydrogen peroxide (I don't know if this is the case for all gray hair, or just some hair types). 

Either way, I'm sure they can give you whatever you want at a salon, (and then you could do the same process yourself at home if you can get them to divulge to you exactly what products they are using so you can buy them at the beauty supply shop and just do what they did). 

As for hard water, if your hair is still natural (or before you have it done anyway) try doing a final rinse with dilute vinegar (about 1 tablespoon in a cup of water is plenty).  The slightly acidic water will rinse off the hard minerals and soap scum that formed on your hair.  The vinegar smell fades as your hair dries.  I wouldn't do this on dyed hair though.  Some dyes come out when confronted with acids, others don't, so there's a chance it may mess up your dye job if you do this on dyed hair.  If you get it dyed you can do a final rinse with distilled water from the grocery store.  It may not make your hair as soft as the vinegar rinse, but it will certainly help and shouldn't be bad for your dye.

edited for spelling.

Edited by Susan W - July 11 2007 at 12:29pm
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic