Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Semi permanent hair dye on long hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
juliap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juliap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Semi permanent hair dye on long hair
    Posted: July 27 2007 at 4:59pm
I thought I would ask you guys this question.  Is it possible to have healthy pretty long to midback hair if you use semipermanent hair dye like natural instincts on a regular basis.   I currently don't use any hair dye and my hair is totally unprocessed but I have been considering using it but I don't want to fry my hair.  I would  use it for the fact that it drys your hair out just a little and also the shine factor and it seems to help make your hair a little thicker.  I am currently growing my hair to midback length its got like four more inches to go.  I was thinking about it and if I got my hair to 25 inches long and it only grows a half inch a month then the hair at the top of my head would go through 50 dyings (if you dyed it once a month)before it got trimmed of.  I guess it would be several years before I got to that point but if I wanted to keep the dying up it seems like that would be too much for my hair to handle.  Even if I just dyed it every two months then it would be dyed 25 times before I cut it off that still seems like too much processing.  Am I thinking about this right or am I wrong?  Please let me know what you think and if its possible to dye midback hair and keep up with it or does anyone who starts dying eventually end up with fried hair if they want to keep it long? 

Thanks,
Julia
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2007 at 7:15am
If your hair is not fine, but medium or coarse, I think you'll be fine.  You have to be more careful if your hair is fine (meaning your strands are hard to see, even on an opposite color background).  If it is medium though or thicker, mid back hair is not that long and you can (for most people I think anyway) do quite a lot to it.  Your problem would be if you wanted to go longer.  There's a big difference between how healthy your hair feels at mid back and how it feels closer to waist length.  It seems like that extra year of length is what starts to wear it down if it is medium (at least for me anyway).

I used to dye my hair with harsh permanent stuff when it was mid back length, I lightened it with 40 volume developer and high lift dye to white.  It was dry, but I could keep it at mid back, even though I'd dyed it over 20 times to gradually go blonder and blonder.  Semi-permanent stuff will be way less harsh than that.

So, just be careful if you have fine hair strands, or if you think you might ever want to go longer than mid-back, and otherwise be sure to take good careful care of your hair. 

Depending on what color you want to go, you may even want to think about permanent because then you'd only have to do it once (possibly), then just do the roots after that.  Permanent is more damaging though, but I can't believe once with permanent would be more damaging than 20 times with semi.  You may want to pose that question on the hair color board here and see if any of the pros there answer with an opinion on which would be worse.  

From my experience, if you want to go red, permanent is not that great because red seems to have small molecules and slides off your hair or fades quick, even if its permanent, so for reds, you may want semi.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2007 at 10:10am
If you want the benefit but not necessarily the color, have you thought about using a clear deposit?When I used to color my hair , I went to a beauty supply ( or sally's) for the supplies. I never changed the color too drastically, so I was able to go longer between colorings, and in between actual colorings, I would use a clear treatment. It adds shine and volume, just like coloring, but is less damaging. Its just a thought.

If on the other hand, you do want to change the color, I would at least try not to lighten it by very much. Every time you lighten the hair shaft, you are stripping it. Darkening it adds to the shaft. The chemicals will still eventually damage your hair, but just not as extreme as lightening.

Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2007 at 7:52pm
Hi Juliap,

I read in a similar thread you started on the General forum that your motivation for contemplating color was due to oily hair.  Is the oily hair due to an oily scalp?  Maybe address the oiliness of the scalp instead of coloring (unless, of course, color is what you actually really want).  I found that diluting my shampoo helps reduce the rate at which my scalp gets oily... HTH Smile
Sunsailing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunsailing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2007 at 4:45pm

I've had my hair dyed since I began growing it (the same time it began going grey...). My hair is fine, but I have a lot of it.

I would highly recommend having it done professionally at a good salon (not a walk-in only salon). The products they use are very different than the off-the-shelf products.

Yes, hair can be dyed and kept in good condition. My hair always feels better after an appointment at the salon for a touch-up.

juliap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juliap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2007 at 4:53pm
Thanks guys for your help.  Its good to see that it is possible to do.  I have been wanting to do this for years and have just been too chicken.  I want to do it cause the oliyness and cause the shine and thickness factor.  I get caught up in believing those commercials and start wanting to dye my hair.  My hair is medium to fine in strand thickness.  I have a mixture of both in my hair.  I went out got some new shampoo and styled my hair with mousse (I have wavy hair)and it looked pretty good.  I think I am just going to leave it alone.  My plan is to let it grow to midback and try to get it totally healthy and natural and if I don't like it after that then I will do something to it.  I just need to stick to my plan it is so hard to be patient when you are growing your hair.    
222chik222 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 222chik222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 4:30am
If you can afford it (its quite expensive where i live) i SWEAR by redken eq shades colour. My hair was soooooo incredibly soft and shiny after the treatment (and it had been bleached before that). Its not cheap though, and of course longer hair requires more product....still definitely a saviour for damaged hair :) can even have the clear gloss put through if you dont want colour.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic