Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tiny braids and thread how damaging?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
juliap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juliap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tiny braids and thread how damaging?
    Posted: August 24 2007 at 10:11am
Well I have been trying to grow my hair long and it is about 22 inches long now.  I put in some hair extensions and I am wondering how damaging they are.  I wanted to post this over here to get yall's opinion.  I got a sew in which consists of tiny braids running horizontal on the back of your head.  I got two braids then they sew the hair onto that with some thick thread.  So its tiny tight braids and thread how damaging are braids to hair?  Especially tight braids?  and what do you think about the thread around the braid?  If I keep wearing them you wear them about six weeks and then get them redone.  I am sure its a little damaging but I just wonder how damaging is it.  On the hair extension forum most everyone feels that any method is not damaging as long as its done right and you take care of it right but I am not so sure.  I mean I have read just brushing your hair causes damage so I am sure it causes some damage but enough to just not be noticable or enough to mess up growing my hair out.  What do you think?  Thanks
Kimbearly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbearly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2007 at 12:19pm
Hi and welcome
I have worn braids with extensions before and the longest I have kept them in was 4 days.  Why?  They hurt like H$##!  IMO anything you do to your hair that is unnatural is damaging in some way.   With braids, you should try not to get shampoo in the braids because it will just sit there.  You also have to make sure the braids are completely dry after washing.  My sister had lots of braids put into her hair with extensions and now she is suffering because of it with severe hair loss due to the pulling of the hair.  She is actually bald in some parts due to her hair being pulled out with the strain of the extensions.  I feel horrible for her since she had the extensions put in due to hair loss in the first place.  Of course when she came to my house with them in I was like - WHAT ARE YOU DOING!!!  She only had them in for two weeks - I can't even imagine what the damage would be if she kept it in longer (if she only listened to her big sister).
I have worn clip-ons from time to time for years and have not had a problem with them - but my hair is very healthy.  I believe if your hair is healthy in the first place you should not have a big problem, but if you are having hair health issues such as dryness and damage - the least you do the better. 
I found this off of another site for you.  If you want the site PM me and I will give it to you. They have a few girls on there with sew-ins.
hi Julia74
while everyone is different and every braider has a method of madness of what you should do or not do -

I think you will find what works best for you in the long run..
it just takes a few times to get what works best for you,,
Well for me and I have been wearing my braids now for 3 years.

I wash my hair EVERY OTHER DAY .. no way I can go 3 days or longer with out washing.
Can't wait can't stand it..
THATS just me .. I work out every day now .. so I pretty much will not go with out washing it.

Just a little hint that I do -
Brush Gentle before you wash your hair. make sure you have no tangles before you wash,
But WHILE your brushing HOLD THE PART OF YOUR BRAID with the palm of your hand and then brush lightly downward don't tug. or pull your hair .. this will for sure pull at your new braid. DO this while dry brushing and or wet brushing it really helps..

when I wash my hair I hold up the hair like a pony tail gently sock it in my shampoo and cream rinse holding up the weight of the hair so it wont pull down .. on my braid, Then after I wash my hair I ring it out gently and clip it up in the shower so it doesn't hang wet and weighting down my braid ..
silly steps but it helps make the braid last.

you can make your braid last 4 weeks easy if your easy on your head and hair really,,

My last install I had my girl add the rubber bands every 1inch or so
to see if that helps in the long run,
I will let everyone know if it makes a different
we shall see.. hope you enjoy your weave..
Cool
juliap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juliap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2007 at 9:00am
I remember you your son had the most beautiful highlights in his hair.  I am already a member of that forum.  Thanks for the advice.  I can't believe you made it four days.  I did not even make it three.  I could not stand it anymore it hurt and I took it out.  I hate to tell the extension forum people cause I have been talking about doing this for sooo long.  I have decided extensions are not for me.  If I want to play with them then I will stick to clip ons.  I think I might need to quit visiting the extension forums so that I won't be tempted.  I should have known that I would not be able to stand it cause I don't even like to wear jewlery.  At least in all of this I have learned that I really have pretty good hair and I know what length I want to try for.  I only want to try and grow it four more inches so that won't be that long.  I want to just take care of what I got and see how healthy and long I can get it.  Maybe I will start coming to this forum for encouragement.   
Kimbearly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbearly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2007 at 11:04am

Did you play and play and play with the braids?  I could not keep my hands off of them - plus they were soooo itchy.  I really do not know how some women can keep them in long term - YUCK!  

I think you should stay here too since this board is wonderful.  I only recently started posting here more often; before that I was just a lurker.  I must say though, it is a lot more fun to chat with the wonderful members of this board - PLUS! they have an outstanding wealth of knowledge.

juliap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juliap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2007 at 12:06pm
Yah I couldn't stop messing with the braids.  I was hoping it might loosen up but I think it made it hurt worse.  It was very itchy too.  Those women that can wear that are amazing.  Talk about pain for beauty.  I took it out just last night and my head is still sore.  I did not want to go to the lady cause I was embaressed to tell her I wanted it out already so I got my husband to do it.  I thought it would just be cut one string and it would all come out.  Nope my husband kept cutting and cutting and I thought I was trapped in this hair forever but finally he got it out.  It took like an hour to do.  Talk about being nervous with your husband cutting the thread in your hair and you can't see what he's doing LOL  I have decided I will never get a sew in again.  If I want hair extensions its going to be clip ons there more fun anyway cause you can change them so easily.   
Kimbearly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbearly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2007 at 4:35pm

You sound just like me, since I had my husband cut them out too.  Permanent hair extensions are not for me either because I like to run my fingers through my hair. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic